Responsible for providing administrative-level secretarial and clerical service to students, faculty, and staff; performing a variety of clerical and administrative support for programs, departments, and other offices; filing and maintaining official college records; and communicating new and/or changes in procedures. Deals with a diverse group of important external callers and visitors as well as internal contacts at all levels of the organization. Independent judgment is required to plan, prioritize and organize diversified workload.Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Prepares memorandums.
• Schedules and organizes activities such as meetings, conferences and department/college events for all members of the department.
• Acts as custodian of college documents and records.
• Prepares and files legal documents with external agencies accordingly.
• Schedules appointments, composes and types correspondence and meeting minutes, and performs other administrative and clerical duties.
• Works with word processing, spreadsheet and database software to complete administrative tasks.
• Prepares materials for special events such as invitations, guest lists, RSVPs, programs, etc.
• Maintains an effective and efficient file management system in the office.
• Displays professional phone and email etiquette.
• Provides supervision to student workers or other clerical staff in the office.
• Greets visitors, ascertains nature of business, and directs visitors to appropriate person.
• Makes travel arrangements and prepares materials as needed.
• Prepares requisitions and keeps track of budget expenditures.
• Schedules room reservations.
• Orders and stocks office supplies as necessary and processes purchase of such items.
• Processes a variety of documents, forms and files.
• Attends the workplace regularly, reports to work punctually and follows a work schedule to keep up with the demands of the worksite.
• Completes duties and responsibilities in compliance with college standards, policies and guidelines.
• Promotes positive morale and teamwork within the functional unit and provides exceptional customer service to students, faculty and the community.
• Uses interpersonal skills and makes sound judgments to decide how duties and responsibilities are completed between coworkers, the supervisory chain, faculty, staff, students, and customers.
• Completes all required training and professional development sessions sponsored by Texas Southmost College (TSC).
• Supports the values and institutional goals as defined in the College’s Strategic Plan.
• Assists with the process for systematic review and evaluation of the planning unit per the model adopted by the college, including the development and monitoring of outcomes and plans of action for improvement based on the assessment of those outcomes and plans.
• Working hours may include evenings, holidays or weekends depending on deadline requirements and special events.
• Performs duties and responsibilities within a high-tech all-digital environment.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
• Special knowledge or skills pertinent to the needs of the office.
• Ability to grasp concepts and procedures quickly.
• Strong detail orientation and ability to multi-task with little direct supervision.
• Foster and contribute to a collegial work environment.
• Strong judgment, decisiveness, and interpersonal skills to work effectively with employees at all levels of the organization.
• Ability to work under pressure with multiple interruptions and meet deadlines.
• Cooperation team player in a diverse working environment.
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, customer-service oriented collaborative team environment.
• Excellent customer service skills and interpersonal skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to handle sensitive and extensive confidential data.
• Problem solving skills and the ability to lead, instruct, handle a large variety of details and to work with all levels of organization.
• Proficient in the use of e-mail, word processing, spreadsheet, database, and presentation software and use of the Internet to access data, maintain records, generate reports, and communicate with others.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the education and experience required.
• High School Diploma or equivalent.
• Two (2) years of secretarial office experience.
• Associate’s degree or 60 college hours from an accredited college or university.
• Secretarial office experience in a higher education setting.
• Experience maintaining office budgets, submitting requests to purchase, and processing invoices for payment.
• Experience processing and filing contracts and agreements.
None required.Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand. The employee is occasionally required to walk; sit; use hands and fingers to handle objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.Work Environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Disclaimer: The duties listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Please see Special Instructions for more details.
*Transcripts (unofficial) are required to be attached to applications for all positions with an educational requirement (Faculty/Staff/Administrative).
*Your application is not considered complete until all required documents have been attached.
*Attachments must be in PDF or Microsoft Word format and must be no larger than 2 MB.
*You will not be able to attach documents after your application has been submitted.
Please note: Official transcripts are only required if recommended for hire.
Official transcripts shall be sent directly from the issuing institution to the College District’s Office of Human Resources and must include documentation of all credit earned, including the education requirements that specifically qualifies the applicant for the position. The address to send all transcripts is:
Texas Southmost College
Office of Human Resources
80 Fort Brown, Tandy 105
Brownsville, Texas 78520
For eTranscripts please use email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The College District recognizes equivalent credits and degrees earned from foreign universities. The equivalency shall be determined by translation and evaluation from a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). For more information please visit: [...]
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).