Job Posting #861098
Position: Advanced Practice Nurse Educator, CCRU
Site: Princess Margaret Cancer Centre
Department: Cancer Clinical Research Unit (CCRU)
Reports to: Program Director, CCRU
Salary Range: $85,931 - $107,413 per annum (based on an annualized 37.5 hours per work week, Commensurate with experience and consistent with UHN Compensation Policy)
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Status: Permanent Full-time
University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Advanced Practice Nurse Educator, CCRU in our Cancer Clinical Research Unit (CCRU).
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world. .
Position: The Cancer Clinical Research Unit (CCRU) has a mandate to lead and promote clinical research within the Princess Margaret (PM) Cancer Centre through standardization of processes and encouraging a culture of responsibility and accountability in clinical trials. Working under the direction of the CCRU Program Director, the Advanced Practice Nurse (APN) Educator demonstrates a set of core competencies integral to developing and maintaining the academic practice environment at UHN. The competencies focus on education and staff development, collaboration, scholarly/research activity, and leadership/change management. The APN - Educator uses best practice in education to assess learning needs, develop, design, deliver and evaluate educational programs in the context of clinical research practice. The APN - Educator collaborates with others to promote enhanced development and delivery of quality nursing education in the field of clinical research internally and externally. The APN - Educator contributes to the scholarship of teaching, discovery, application and integration of knowledge through research and scholarly work. The APN-Educator leads in the creation of a preferred future for nursing education and professional practice.
This APN-E position will be aligned to the clinical research nursing group and will focus on the assessment, development, design, implementation and evaluation of clinical research nursing practice standards/processes in collaboration with the Nurse Manager - Clinical Trials; Team Leads and the CCRU Quality Assurance team. Areas of focus will include mentorship and orientation, informed consent, source documentation and clinical trial patient assessment. This work will be supporting the development of “best practice” standards established by the Cancer Clinical Research Unit.
The ideal candidate possesses the ability to work with individuals from research, clinical departments and external stakeholders to achieve objectives to streamline clinical research nursing practice, have excellent communication skills, and maintain an eye for detail and the ability to project manage tasks to completion and determine appropriate steps for timely resolution.
· Completion of a graduate degree program in Nursing or Education or recognized equivalent required
· Three (3) years of experience in oncology nursing and clinical trials
· Three (3) years practical and related experience and/or three (3) months on-the-job training required
· Theoretical and practical experience in adult education including educational program planning, development, and evaluation required
· Current certificate of licensure/registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario, Membership in the Registered Nurses Association of Ontario (RNAO) required
· SOCRA membership preferred
· Completion of a Basic Cardiac Life Support (B.C.L.S.) program, Level II: Basic Rescuer certification required
· Excellent leadership, prioritization, presentation, program planning and teaching experience
· Excellent professional nursing knowledge and skills
· Ability to be adaptable, build trust, provide coaching and collaboration, facilitate change and continuous improvement
· Demonstrate ability to motivate staff and create an environment conducive to learning and team building
· Ability to contribute to team building success by: developing others, fostering group dynamics & processes, monitoring information, being innovative, managing conflict, planning safety awareness and managing stress
· Excellent organizational and time management skills
· Excellent decision-making and problem solving-skills
· Sound knowledge base in areas of specialty and the education process
· Ability to work effectively as a member of a multi-disciplinary team
· Ability to utilize information technology
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
Posted Date: July 30, 2020 Closing Date: Until filled
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN's attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
UHN thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.