Requisition ID: 232191
Bechtel, a global leader in project management, engineering, procurement and construction, has been selected by WSA Co as its Delivery Partner for the Western Sydney Airport, a $5.3 billion greenfield facility in Badgerys Creek, New South Wales. This will be a landmark project for both New South Wales and Australia and is due for completion at the end of 2026.
Western Sydney Airport will provide much-needed additional aviation capacity to meet growing demand in the Sydney basin and improve access to flights for people in Western Sydney. One of Australia's most significant infrastructure projects in decades, the international and domestic airport will open in 2026, bringing social and economic prosperity to the Western Sydney region. Learn more about this exciting project at the following: www.wsaco.com.au.
The Area Manager will report directly to the Package Manager Terminal.
The Area Manager has responsibility to proactively:
· Ensure Contractors adhere to their contract obligations;
· Monitor and enforce safety and quality standards;
· Manage interface coordination;
· Monitor progress relative to the schedule and report the assigned package status of activities to Package Manager.
The Area Manager is a key individual supporting the Delivery Partner’s (DPs) role in providing Project Management services and deliverables. In performing this role, the Area Manager will be familiar with the contract terms, scope, and requirements and will work as part of the broader DP package management team to fulfil the DP obligations.
The Area Manager will:
· Actively ensure Contractors are complying with safety requirements and encourage Contractors to perform their work in a safe manner.
· Work with Contractors to ensure persons carrying out their duties are fully aware of all risks associated with the task and are following the agreed work method statements.
· Promote a zero-harm performance and culture.
· Promote a contractor Work Health and Safety Culture program.
· Participate in the Zero Incident Forum (ZIF), as required.
· Participate in the investigation of any accident, incident, or near miss as necessary, and ensure remedial actions have been agreed and carried out.
· Actively ensure Contractors are aware of and comply with environmental requirements and encourage Contractors to comply with all environmental expectations.
· Attend weekly Contractor progress meetings between Contractors, Subcontractors, DP, and WSA.
· Actively interface with the Delivery Partner’s Engineering, Construction Interface, Work Health and Safety, Environment and Sustainability, Community, Workplace Relations, Contract Management and other relevant teams to ensure package delivery priorities are maintained.
· Review construction schedules and costs as required.
· Review Contractor’s reports.
· Produce daily reports with input from assigned Field Engineer.
· Input, review and expedite trend estimates for items extending beyond the current scope of project prepared by DP Project Controls.
· Report on construction aspects of the assigned package or portions of a package, maintain regular WSA contact for progress of work and, exchange of information and advice, as necessary.
· Offer initiatives and advice for the development of Tender Packages.
· Provide input into Contractors’ monthly performance reviews.
· Conduct detailed reviews of Contractors’ work plans and schedule, monitor progress, identify interfaces and ensure these are addressed without effecting the Contractor.
· Perform regular schedule assessment reviews with DP Planner and work with Package Manager to document issues and other impacts accordingly.
· Provide input into the project procedures for construction, as required.
· Coordinate construction efforts with Site Manager, Package Manager, Procurement, Construction, Work Health and Safety, Environment and Sustainability, and Project Controls when required.
· Review design documents, change orders, material requisitions and specifications for construction associated with the Contractor’s scope of works.
· Review the flow of information required from third parties to facilitate the timely progress of the construction work.
· Assist with requests for specialized third-party professional services as required.
· Initiate DP and WSA correspondence related to the construction portion of the contract package.
· Review project construction progress against approved schedules, evaluate changes and advise corrective action when required.
· Bring both cost and schedule changes/deviations to the attention of the Package Manager for inclusion in the project Critical Items Action Report, Project Trend Register, weekly and monthly reports.
· Assist with the preparation of project studies, reports and forecasts when required.
· Provide input to Technical Risk Assessments, safety practices and procedures, engineering design as required.
· Communicate technical issues and recommend solutions as required.
· Promote the creation of a project work environment, supported by leadership on the project / program, which fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction.
· Participate with regular performance reviews in accordance with approved procedures and hold career development discussions with direct reports.
· Prepare Daily Reports and assists with project weekly and monthly reporting to management.
· Review Contractor productivity and progress against plan and proactively engage with the Contractor to initiate improvements where required.
· Monitor and confirm progress reporting and payment certificates.
Qualifications and Skills
· Technical knowledge of related construction systems, applications of engineering and construction methods and materials for major Infrastructure projects.
· Experience working with and managing contracts.
· Proficient knowledge of project construction processes and procedures.
· Knowledge of related construction practices and the economics involved and current knowledge of new methods of design and construction.
· Advanced skill in oral and written communication.
Interpersonal skills and able to interact closely with client and contractors while maintaining necessary levels of commercial awareness.
· Demonstrated skill in project management.
· A recognized degree in engineering from an accredited university, OR extensive (13 Years +) industry experience, including supervision on large construction projects (experience in the management of construction or engineering for major Infrastructure or Aviation Projects is an advantage).
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, procurement, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right- no matter how big, how complex or how remote. The reliability of our performance, the enduring quality of our projects, the strength of our ethics, and the seriousness of our commitment to safety and sustainability are evident in everything we do. Bechtel delivers for its customers what others can only promise.
Build your career as you build some of the most challenging and complex projects in the world today.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.