Are you ready to grow your dream career while making others' vacation dreams come true? Marriott Vacations Worldwide is a world premier organization for Vacation Ownership with resorts at destinations around the globe. Join our team and help deliver unforgettable experiences that make vacation dreams come true.
Specific Job Summary
The Director of Human Resources will report directly to the Senior Director HR, EME and will be an integral member of the properties’ leadership teams (e.g., Executive Committee, Guidance Team). As a member of the Human Resources organization, he/she contributes a high level of human resource generalist knowledge and expertise for more than one property/site. He/she will be accountable for talent acquisition, succession/workforce planning, performance management and development for property employees, using technology efficiently, and coaching/developing others to help influence and execute brand/business service strategy/initiatives and business objectives in the most efficient manner.
The Director of Human Resources will also work as a member of the Global HR Services Team assisting with all system related queries including, but not limited to, Virtual Edge, Ev5, Learning and Development etc. by liaising with the relevant HR Centre of Excellence representatives. The Director of HR will work closely with Managers of Talent Acquisition, Talent Management, Directors of HR Operations, and the HR COEs. This position will be based in Cork. CLS Generic Expected Contributions
- Develops operating plans and workable business processes for own department in alignment with function strategy.
- Contributes to team, department and/or business results by performing more complex quantitative and qualitative analysis for business processes and/or projects. Often manages small projects, business processes or parts of larger ones.
- Responds to, solves and makes decisions on more complex/non-routine business requests with limited to moderate risk. Presents alternative solutions to business issues by leveraging the broader organization.
- Works to enhance the organization’s capabilities through effective staffing and development of others by:
- Anticipating staffing requirements by comparing business needs with strengths and weaknesses of existing staff.
- coaching own team to collaborate with others.
- using appropriate MVW interviewing tools to hire the best people available from inside or outside.
- establishing goals and delegating tasks appropriately.
- providing timely coaching and feedback
- making and rewarding distinctions in performance.
- engaging in progressive disciplinary processes, when appropriate.
- Assists more senior associates in achieving business results by:
- identifying opportunities to enhance the effectiveness of business processes.
- providing training and technical guidance to less senior staff, where appropriate, and serving as point-of-contact for problem resolution.
- participating in setting department operating plans.
- recognising and celebrating team successes.
- achieving results against budget within scope of responsibility.
- Demonstrates an awareness of personal strengths and areas for improvement and acts independently to improve and increase skills and knowledge.
- Performs other duties as appropriate in particular with AVP Human Resources
Core Work Activities
Leading and Managing Human Resources Strategy
- Enhances the effective execution of the Human Resources Business Plan within multiple units by facilitating communication, collaboration of efforts and sharing expertise.
- Delivers sound results by coordinating implementations, tracking results, problem solving, and leveraging efforts across units wherever possible.
- Coordinates strategies across units to ensure cohesiveness and consistency.
- Drives efforts to improve operational efficiencies across properties.
- Translates business priorities into property Human Resources strategies, plans and actions.
- Partners with Regional Senior Director of Human Resources to ensure that property Human Resources strategies, plans and actions are in alignment with regional Human Resources strategies and the overall strategic Human Resources framework for the organization.
- Leads the planning, evaluation, resourcing, and follow-up of Engagement Survey (ES) related activities; in collaboration with the appropriate business and discipline partners.
- Champions and builds the talent management ranks in support of Property and Region diversity strategy.
- Serves as key change manager for initiatives that have high employee impact.
- Monitors effective use of systems by property managers and employees.
- Creates value through proactive approaches that will affect performance outcome or control cost.
- Coordinates and participates in succession planning activities in the market, as appropriate.
- Leads implementation and sustainability of Human Resources initiatives.
- Develops, plans and carries out all local policies and procedures relating to all phases of human resources.
- Remains current with new labour legislation, court decisions, 3rd party relationships and government regulations in order to keep abreast of legal developments.
Managing the Staffing and Recruiting Process
- Partners with property management to hire and train Human Resources staff members who demonstrate strong functional expertise, creativity and leadership to meet the associate relations needs of the property.
- Serves as coach and expert facilitator of selection process and interviewing procedures.
- Surfaces opportunities optimize Talent Acquisition work processes.
- Analyzes open positions to balance the development of existing talent and business needs.
- Makes decisions to manage the talent pipeline at the property/site.
- Develops staffing strategy (in collaboration with hiring manager) relating to hiring practices; consults with hiring manager on compensation, benefits, etc.
- Develop, implement and maintain new outreach and recruiting efforts with local organizations.
- Analyzes and reviews statistical data and reports to identify and determine causes of turnover and retention, and develops recommendations/improvements to management, as well as improvements to employment policies, processes and practices.
- Coordinates and implements employment advertising, the use of temporary/placement agencies, job fairs and the associate referral program.
Overseeing Benefits Education and Administration
- Leads the planning of the total compensation strategy.
- Champions the communication and proper use of total compensation systems, tools, programs, policies, etc.
- Participates in internal equity analysis; reviews internal equity reports and surface issues that need a resolution.
- Manages and administers the establishment of benefit programs at the site level.
- Provides liaison and consulting services to all levels of management and associates interpreting and defining established policies and procedures.
- Ensures knowledge and accurate information is being provided by HR staff to all associate benefit questions and issues, in a timely manner
Managing Employee Compensation Strategy
- Prepares, analyzes and distributes and acts on results of Internal Equity and Comp Ratio reports.
- Documents and provides input to any out of guidelines management compensation adjustments for regional approval.
- Drives implementation of total compensation management packages/offers, particularly recognition and incentive programs directed towards property priorities.
- Keeps current and knowledgeable in the internal and external compensation and work competitive environments.
- Develops, manages and administers management compensation programs within and as established by Division Compensation. Will consult with Division Compensation team accordingly.
- Advises and recommends to all levels of management appropriate compensation actions/adjustments to attract, retain and motivate employees.
- Manage on site associate rewards and recognition programs.
- Reviews adherence to the local laws on Compensation & Benefits.
- Participates in compensation surveys to determine company’s market relationship for all site based positions.
- Manages, implements and processes pay administration guidelines, including annual performance/merit increase guidelines.
- Audits payroll activities, as necessary, to ensure compliance with policies and procedures.
Managing Staff Development Activities
- Ensures completion of the duties and responsibilities of the properties’ Human Resources staff members, as outlined in applicable job description(s).
- Ensures property/site Human Resources staff is properly trained in all employee-related human resource technology, process, and policy to appropriately respond to employee inquiries and anticipate employee needs.
- Serves as resource to property/site Human Resources staff on employee relations questions and issues.
HR Service Delivery
- Develops, implements, and maintains processes and procedures designed to deliver all administrative support to and l HR EME professionals in tandem with HR COEs.
- Acts as escalation point for any system issues which arise out of normal day to day operations for EME.
- Facilitates timely, accurate delivery of service including processing, follow-up and communication to the affected parties (associates and managers).
- Participates in the testing and implementation of company-wide HR systems, programs and services to ensure relevance in the international environment.
- Create tasks aids for HR systems, where needed, to help HR EME associates.
- Gather job code information and lease with the US to get these created.
- Work closely with IR HR Systems Analyst to ensure that error logs are fixed, where necessary.
- Become the EME subject matter for all HR system related queries.
Education and Experience
- 2-year degree from an accredited university in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related major; 4 years experience in the human resources, management operations, or related professional area.
- 4-year bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related major; 2 years experience in the human resources, management operations, or related professional area.
- Professional Demeanour - Exhibiting behavioural styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; making a good first impression and representing the business in alignment with its values.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifying and understanding issues, problems, and opportunities; obtaining and comparing information from different sources to draw conclusions, develop and evaluate alternatives and solutions, solve problems, and choose a course of action.
- Communication - Conveying information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods. Strong public presentation skills.
- Adaptability - Maintaining performance level under pressure or when experiencing changes or challenges in the workplace.
- Planning and Organizing - Gathering information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizing and arranging work requirements to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
- Driving for Results - Setting high standards of performance for self and/or others; assuming responsibility for work objectives; initiating, focusing, and monitoring the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively taking action and going beyond what is required
- Building and Contributing to Teams - Leading and participating as a member of a team to move toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
- Coworker Relationships - Interacting with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
- Customer Relationships - Developing and sustaining relationships based on an understanding of customer needs and actions consistent with business service standards.
- Fostering Inclusion - Supporting associates with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; leveraging personal differences to achieve objectives; and promoting a work environment where all associates are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Talent Management - Providing guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
- Organizational Capability - Evaluating and adapting the structure of organizational units, jobs, and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
Learning and Applying Personal Expertise
- Applied Learning - Seeking and making the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
- Technical Acumen - Understanding and utilizing professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges
o Personnel and Human Resources — Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training and development, compensation and benefits, labour relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
o Compensation and Benefits - The knowledge of principles, regulatory laws, and application of human resources compensation and benefit methods, including workers compensation and work accident procedures.
o EEO - Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws and regulations that affect employment. This includes the ability to administer and monitor Affirmative Action programs and analyzing diversity reports.
o Employee Relations - Knowledge of the broad range of relationships that could impact an employee, employer, or applicant. This includes knowledge of federal and state laws, company policies and practices, and ethical obligations to investigate, evaluate, and recommend an appropriate resolution to an employee or labour relations complaint.
o Recruitment and Hiring - Ability to recruit, interview, and hire qualified candidates. This includes knowledge of best practices for each stage of the selection system.
o Training - The ability to perform training needs assessment analysis, develop training programs, and effectively delivering training modules to employees.
o Payroll - Knowledge of principles and application of human resources hourly and management payroll methods and practices.
o Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Business Acumen - Understanding and utilizing business information (e.g., data used in the Balanced Scorecard related to Employee Engagement, Guest Satisfaction, and Property Financial Performance) to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges
o Applied Business Knowledge - Evaluates market conditions, organizational objectives, and important aspects of the business to accurately diagnose market opportunities and threats; anticipates opportunities and threats, identify issues, and develop strategies and plans. Aligning individual and team actions with strategies and plans to drive business results.
o Management of Capital Resources - Determines the appropriate allocation of money used to accomplish work goals, and submits expenses according to guidelines; appropriately utilizes and maintains equipment, facilities, and materials needed to perform work activities.
o Administration and Management - Understands and applies the business and management information involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modelling, leadership techniques, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
o Basic Computer Skills - Using basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
o Mathematical Reasoning - The ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
o Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
o Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
o Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.