Business Controller Research - Sales and Revenue
For our Research Sales and Revenue Center of Excellence, we are looking for an ambitious and proactive Business Controller.
The Business Controller Research - Sales and Revenue provides financial and business support to several departmental units in support of our main customers in the Academic & Government and Corporate Markets. These different departments are part of a complex and fast growing area within Elsevier.
The role of finance is to provide accurate and timely insights into sales and revenue management and prioritization. You will play a key role in the Finance Business Decision Support Team with an overall aim to improve the effectiveness and support for the fast growing and continuous ongoing business transformation of Research Intelligence Sales and Research Products.
We are looking for a proactive business partner, responsible for providing financial planning, budgeting, forecasting, analysis and reporting in order to achieve effective business decision support.
You will report directly to the Finance Manager Research, work closely with the Research Sales and Product unit and Business Development and receive support from the global finance Center of Expertise. The role is office based in Amsterdam, although periodic travel may be required.
This role includes 3 key result areas:
(1) Actively support the Research businesses with financial capabilities including managing actual reporting and forecasting as well as supporting key stakeholders with financial related work.
(2) Actively support the Finance Manager Research to support in strategic business decisions, set the finance agenda and "lead the way" to improve the effectiveness of the finance support team.
(3) Work with the sales and revenue Centers of Expertise to standardize and streamline insightful management reports.
Your main responsibilities include:
- Managing the preparation of the monthly Latest View submissions, quarterly re-forecasts, annual budgets and multi-year plans
- Managing the preparation and review of monthly operational reports including qualitative analysis, sales bookings, revenues, sales operational costs and FTE's
- Reviewing, analyzing and challenging inputs from sales team and coordinating with the Sales & Revenue CoE in the preparation of budget and (re)forecast submissions
- Ensuring accurate reporting and providing insights behind numbers and variances in order to foster a no-surprise culture
- Providing proactive feedback / advice on issues within the Research Intelligence Sales and Product teams
- Continuously driving to improve the reporting & insights in the performance of the business and helping management in their decision making
- Working together with the Center of Expertise to develop and standardize management reports
- Cooperating with internal support functions such as Business Development, Account Support, Compensation Plan team, Pricing, Legal and Treasury to achieve overall business objectives
- Proactively ensuring that sales proposals follow the Elsevier business model, with active engagement in all significant new and renewal deals in Research Intelligence business
- Cooperating with Account Support managers in alignment of processes and principles
- Ensuring compliance with all financial control processes
- Building and maintaining relations with auditors, with other finance departments (GFS, CoE, Reporting, FP&A) and with other business decision support teams
- Communicating financial issues and topics to a non-financial audience
- Managing ad-hoc analysis and reporting requirements effectively and efficiently with the Sales & Revenue CoE
- Being responsive to change, proactively anticipating data, insights and analytics to help the business to make the right data driven decisions
What you will bring
- Finance degree: Master level or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years relevant experience, preferably in a business partnering, controller or FP&A role, with solid all-round experience in finance
- High potential with experience in large and complex international working environments
- Strong commercial sense and organizational awareness, ideally in a comparable industry
- Robust knowledge & understanding of financial technical accounting standards and management accounting techniques & processes
- Ability to contribute to overall business strategy, support management team to achieve strategic goals and prioritize deliverables accordingly
- System knowledge: Excel (advanced level), PowerPoint, Oracle (Hyperion Financial Management)
- Strong fluent English skills, both verbal and written communication skills
You will be a high potential with the ability to act as the Finance Manager in various management team meetings. You are able to support and contribute to change and to impact your business area in a significant way.
- Personal drive: technical & professional expertise, practice self-development, ability to work in culturally diverse environment, intellectual curiosity
- Interpersonal skills: excellent communication skills, collaboration and teamwork, ability as a team leader, ability to work at all levels up to BU Board, critical & convincing
- Strategist: commercial awareness and business knowledge
- Drive change: champion change, ability to manage and drive projects
- Results orientated: customer focused, drives for results, problem solver, analytical and structured, ability to work to tight deadlines, planning and organizing skills, high level of resilience.
What we offer
We welcome you to a truly global, dynamic and challenging environment with great opportunities for personal development. Elsevier’s benefits are very competitive and the summary below will give you an idea of what you can expect when joining Elsevier in the Netherlands.
- Competitive salary
- A full-time position in an international and dynamic work environment
- Opportunities for personal development and growth
- A role with great autonomy, responsibility and impact on the business
- Additional benefits, such as memberships to Elsevier’s magazines, discount on books and in-house sport facilities
- Numerous training, coaching and e-learning modules for long term job opportunities and development
- Several local and global networking communities to share best practices and knowledge
- Various social responsibility programs, channeling knowledge and strengths to help communities around the world improve education, science, health care and protect the environment.
Are you the Business Controller we are looking for? Apply now!
Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact 1.877.734.1938 or firstname.lastname@example.org.