- Feel passionate about sustainability and making this planet a better place?
- Want to be part of a driven, high-performance team with big aspirations?
- Do whatever it takes to succeed?
- Have an innate hunger to rise to your highest potential?
- Want to #ButcherBeans? (R.I.P. to Bertie the Bean)
WHO ARE WE
First of all, you found us. Fantastic. That wasn't random. Something led you here. An instinct. A curiosity. A glimpse at potential. Good. That's how we feel about The Very Good Food Company. We’re gearing up for massive growth and we’d love YOU to be a part of it!
So what’s our story?
Our founders were fed up with the overly-processed meat alternatives available and knew they could raise the bar. As trained chefs with years of experience, they set out to make the most delicious and nutritious plant-based meats they could. A bajillion butchered beans, a Dragon’s Den appearance, 15 new products, and the opening of our first production facility later, we are ready to revolutionize the plant-based industry. We're on a mission to show the world that making good food choices doesn’t mean sacrificing flavour. We create food that’s Very Good for people, animals and the planet (all while having a TON fun along the way!).
So who works here?
All of us strive to create an environment that reflects our organization’s core values: sustainability, compassion, innovation, harmony, trust, and transparency. We’re a group of forward thinkers. We’re passionate. We do not discriminate. Period. We believe companies should measure and be accountable for their impacts on people and the planet. Our approach is to simply be “more human and less corporate”. We love doing work that matters. We celebrate our wins. And we recognize that we only win as a team. If you’re yelling at your computer screen, “GET ME IN!” — keep reading…
WHO YOU ARE
As our Continuous Improvement Engineer, you’ll play a key role in executing all continuous improvement (CI) activities related to the operations & manufacturing processes of The Very Good Butchers. You’ll be responsible for identifying opportunities and implementing corrective actions to increase efficiencies, reduce cost and increase customer satisfaction. Working closely with the Director Process and Engineering Operations, you’ll use your knowledge of engineering methodologies, tools and data analysis to optimize flow at all levels and functions across the organization.
Continuous Improvement & Change Management
- Assist with the application of continuous improvement methodology in accordance with company objectives;
- Implement tools, methods, standards and processes to eliminate waste in the manufacturing process;
- Analyze current production and operational processes and determine creative courses of action to promote safety, quality and cost efficiency;
- Design improvements to increase production capacity and efficiency;
- Ensure CI processes and procedures are sustained and adhered to through the development of effective control plans;
- Assist on continuous improvement projects related to plant-based food manufacturing
- Conduct time studies and assist the production team to verify Takt times and identify bottlenecks in the production processes;
- Develop Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs) and Equipment lists;
- Develop CAD engineering and process designs and drawings;
- Assist in development of technical specifications and build-in quality documentation in the New Product Introduction (NPI) stage including PFMEA, Control Plans, Process Flow and product/process requirements;
- Develop maintenance schedules and recommend the replacement and instrumentation of machines, including: pumps, vessels, heat exchangers, control valves, and pressure safety valves
Production & Project Management
- Apply problem-solving methodology including 5W-2H, Ishikawa and 5Why analysis for production & quality failures;
- Prepare reports, analyses, and charts as required for process and production operations;
- Support R&D in attaining short-term and long-term product development goals;
- Supervise assembly and commissioning of new equipment, travelling to new plant locations as necessary;
- Write and implement Standard Operating Procedures (SOP);
- Work closely with suppliers to ensure that equipment achieves identified objectives;
- We’re a small, fast-growing team, so we all pitch in to do some of the dirty work!
- Demonstrated ability to think critically, problem solve and create innovative cost-efficient solutions
- Ability to work organize and prioritize multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Proven ability to work together with various departments across the product lifecycle
- Strong time management, planning, and analytical skills
- Basis knowledge and ability to apply statistical knowledge to process and product improvement projects
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of modern food manufacturing procedures would be an asset
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Process or Industrial Engineering, plus 1-3 years experience in Continuous Improvement. Preference will be giving to candidates with specific knowledge of food processing.
- Knowledge of Lean Six Sigma and Project Management methodologies is preferred, but certainly not essential.
How to Apply:
If this sounds like a great fit, we want to hear from you! Please submit your resume and cover letter no later than November 20th, 2020.
We welcome all applicants regardless of race, gender, orientation, sexual identity, economic class, ability, disability, age, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, or status. We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish. Thank you for your interest in The Very Good Food Company, and we encourage you to apply today!