Job Description - Assistant Corporate Counsel (836821)
Assistant Corporate Counsel - 836821
At Franklin Templeton, everything we do is focused on one thing – delivering better client outcomes. We do that by partnering closely with our clients, assessing their strategic needs, and identifying the solution or solutions that can meet the challenge. Over 12,000 employees working in 34 countries around the world are dedicated to servicing investment solutions for our clients in more than 160 countries. For more than 70 years our success has been a direct result of the talent, skills and persistence of our people, and we are looking for qualified candidates to join our team.
What is the Assistant Corporate Counsel in Legal group responsible for?
- This position is for a Junior Attorney on the Contract Review Team focusing on contract drafting, negotiation and counseling, with an emphasis on technology and acquiring goods and services for use by the Franklin Templeton family of companies around the world. Candidates should have at least two years of relevant experience as an attorney, especially contract review/negotiation/drafting and contract management. This position will be based in Hyderabad and will report to a Senior Attorney based in San Mateo.
What are the ongoing responsibilities of Assistant Corporate Counsel in Legal group?
- Negotiating and drafting both complex and simple agreements including developing contract templates, EULAs and website TOUs and contracts on a variety of matters, including, technology, data, marketing, consulting, real estate, HR, aircraft, facilities, events, etc. Work may be independent or at the direction of a Senior Attorney depending on the scope and complexity of the agreement.
- Researching laws and regulations applicable to the Company and advising on appropriate legal action, including drafting policies where appropriate.
- Under the supervision of a Senior Attorney, counseling a wide array of business units (primarily in India, United States, and United Kingdom) and Company executives on contract issues and legal risks and crafting viable solutions to complex legal issues. Interacting regularly with internal business clients, external vendors, contracts professionals, and opposing counsel, which requires strong communication skills (both oral and written) and commitment to superior client service.
- Partnering with business units to complete project goals while protecting the Company’s interest and mitigating legal risks.
- Assisting with management of contract workflows and use of contract lifecycle management software.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
What ideal qualifications, skills & experience would help someone to be successful?
- Must have superb communication skills (both oral and written)
- At least 2 years of relevant experience (Contract Review and Drafting, Contract Negotiation, Contract Management).
- Must be well-versed in Microsoft Office Productivity Suite and related (e.g., Adobe Reader, etc.)
- Must be computer savvy
- 2-4 years of technology and U.S. contracts experience a plus
- Experience managing a contract database a plus
- Law degree from a top law school
- Understanding of legal terminology and U.S. contracting language
Skills and abilities:
- Review and modify agreements
- Negotiate changes with opposing counsel/contract professionals
- Detail oriented
- Superior analytical skills
- High productivity
- Committed to superior client service
- Highly organized
- Able to prioritize
- Highly flexible for changes in a dynamic/fast moving environment
Problem solving and decision making:
- Must have ability to compare situations to prior occurrences to determine if precedent exists and apply that resolution
- Must exercise independent judgment within scope of assignment
- Must be able to analyze complex language and deduce what business risks may be involved
- Must be able to gain understanding of underlying business processes for individual contract and see that material elements are completely documented
- Must be able to prioritize competing work assignments from a variety of business clients
- Must be able to recognize situations where escalation/intervention of superior needed
- Must recognize which matters must be discussed with superiors and which matters are routine that can be handled without involving superiors
- Sound business judgement and common sense
What makes Franklin Templeton Investments unique?
In addition to the dynamic and professional environment at Franklin Templeton, we strive to ensure that our employees have access to a competitive and valuable set of Total Rewards —the mix of both monetary and non-monetary rewards provided to you in recognition for your time, talents, efforts and results.
Highlights of our benefits include:
- Professional development growth opportunities through in-house classes and over 150 Web-based training courses
- An educational assistance program to financially help employees seeking continuing education
- Medical, Life, and Personal Accident Insurance benefit for employees. Medical insurance also covers employee’s dependents (spouses, children and dependent parents)
- Life Insurance for protection of employees families
- Personal accident insurance for protection of employees and their families
- Personal loan assistance
- Employee Stock Investment Plan (ESIP)
- Onsite fitness center, recreation center, and cafeteria