Accountable for the development and delivery of innovative and high-quality customer-facing digital experiences for China and drives the growth and guest satisfaction of Marriott’s Digital channels. Follows and provides input to standard application development tools and processes to promote project quality for client-facing systems. This position manages day-to-day relationships with global information technology teams and partners with local and global discipline stakeholders to deliver best in class experiences. Implements and manages continuous improvement programs to improve quality, consistency, and client satisfaction.
This is the “seed” expert role, the initial expectation is to perform the above tasks working with consulting engineering teams with the guidance and support from global Engineering team and local Digital team. At the same time, the role, builds a local IT Engineering team as we scale based on business growth needs.
Education and Experience
· 10+ years of application development leadership experience with a minimum of 3 years at a Senior Director level, including:
o Direct experience leading technology teams in defining, creating and supporting enterprise-scale solutions with strong knowledge of industry-standard Web/Mobile/WeChat technologies and Chinese Digital eco-systems like Tencent and Alibaba etc.
o Strong knowledge of general industry trends, technologies and platforms
· Demonstrated experience in Agile development methodologies, specifically with large-scale initiatives and geographically distributed teams
· Direct management of cross functional, sourced, or matrixed teams
· Five year’s recent experience with architectural frameworks and the various approaches to the Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
· Work with Vendors and Consulting companies to lead the technology solution, application development, and production operations
· Experience working with consulting companies to lead the technology solution, application development, and production operations for $10M+ of efforts
Core Digital Engineering Skills:
As a Head of Digital Engineering for China Digital you will lead the teams responsible for developing the next generation China Digital Platform in the cloud. The role dual reports with a direct line to the Global IT VP of Digital Products Engineering, and second line to the VP, Digital Products, China. Here are some of the desired skills for this role:
· Deep Experience in building highly scalable and secure modern Digital platform architectures for web platforms
· Experience in building headless and headful solutions, with modern UI stack with Node.JS, React and Redux and CMS and Experience
· Experience in building architecture and solution for WeChat Mini Program and WeChat Ecosystem
· Experience with Adobe Experience Cloud with Adobe Experience Manager, Adobe Marketing Cloud, Adobe Campaign and personalization
· Experience with server and client-side Graph QL is a plus, to build omni-channel presentation layer for large enterprises
· Experience in building scalable product services using technologies such as Spring Boot, Play Akka, NodeJS, Service Mesh, deployed in cloud such as Ali-Cloud, AWS China, or other cloud providers,
· Experience with different types of modern purpose-built storages no-SQL databases and indexes such as Couchbase, Elastic Search, Fusion Search, SOLR Search or other similar purpose-built SQL, no-SQL databases
· Demonstrated success leading medium- to large-scale initiatives/transformations
· Proven executive experience in strategic planning and budgeting within one or more business groups
· Strong communication skills, relationship skills, process management, negotiating, influencing and problem resolution skills
· Knowledge of business environment, service requirements and hospitality culture
· Demonstrated ability to assess customer/client needs, creatively approach solutions, decide and influence appropriate courses of action
· Ability to understand and communicate the lifecycle of technologies into business strategies
· Graduate/post graduate degree in Engineering, Computer Science or related areas
· Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to articulate complex technical ideas in easy to understand business terms
· Ability to accomplish results through others, particularly by establishing relationships, effective controls and leading in a managed service environment
Developing And Managing Application Development Standards, Processes, And Tools
· Works with the Architecture and Development lead to facilitate consistency of service delivery across client groups
· Builds and maintains a standard set of application development tools and processes that will drive consistency and predictability throughout the SDLC for all client groups including:
o SDLC standard tools and processes for both waterfall and agile development
o Estimating standard tools and processes, incorporating flexibility for small and large projects
o Deployment standard tools and processes
· Monitors projects for adherence to defined application development processes
· Works with IT organization to create broader IT related and corporate standards and policies where necessary
· Communicates important application development policy changes that affect service provider and/or Marriott operations
Managing Day-To-Day Relationships with IT Teams
· Manages application development projects in partnership with IT teams, business partners and providers
o Provides overall project management of business projects/portfolios
o Defines and oversees effective reporting to the Business Partnership & Planning teams
o Leads project reviews with Business Partnership & Planning teams on application development projects
o Manages day-to day relationships with all IT teams to promote the delivery of services that meet or exceed the client expectations
o Monitors all projects for alignment with defined business case process
o Drives timely resolution of escalated service delivery problems and minimizes the impact of any client service delivery issues
o Defines, manages, and improves service level reporting for application development
o Provides early warning to the appropriate Business Partnership & Planning leaders and team regarding degraded or missed service levels
o Leads application development and maintenance of service provider project management standards and tools
o Participates in client portfolio and demand management processes, and engages service providers to promote client satisfaction
· Works with application development service providers
o Validates that the service provider(s) performs the services agreed to by the master services agreement in a manner that is consistent with both the spirit and the letter of the agreement
o Works with all IT teams to progress the service providers services to match client needs
o Facilitates team and service provider compliance with the agreement
o Defines and facilitates service levels to meet business needs
· Supports the IT organization
o Participates in the creation and maintenance of IT’s business strategy and planning
o Supports and follows defined IT Governance decision rights, standards and practices
o Emphasizes accuracy and effectiveness of estimating and planning management with team
o Assists all IT teams with the preparation and monitoring of business/discipline and continent IT budgets
Implementing and Managing Continuous Improvement Program
· Implements CMMi or similar metrics to demonstrate continuous improvement and alignment with the industry
· Demonstrates continuous improvement through metrics of quality consistency and client satisfaction
· Works with application development service providers, IT teams, and business partners to implement continuous improvement activities
· Designs and administers project surveys or other feedback processes, to continually improve client satisfaction
· Communication -Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
· Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of employee decision making and action.
· Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
· Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
· Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
· Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
· Building a Successful Team -Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
· Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
· Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
· Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
· Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
· Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
· Developing Others- Plans and supports the development of others’ skills and capabilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively; provides high visibility to individuals with potential; offers challenging assignments that build confidence and credibility and provides such individuals with a personal vision for their future.
· Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
· Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
· Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
o Technical Intelligence: knowledge and ability to identify technological opportunities and threats that could affect the future growth and survival of the business.
o Technology Life Cycle: knowledge of the Life Cycle of technologies and how applications, infrastructure, and processes relate to these timelines.
o Development Methodologies: knowledge of development methodologies as well as new/upcoming development methodologies.
o Information Security: knowledge of the security considerations relevant within the development space, including industry best practices related to information security
· Continuous Learning - Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learns through their application.
· Strategy Knowledge - Understanding and utilizing professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific strategic work challenges.
· Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
o Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
o Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
o Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
o Reading Comprehension - Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
o Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.