Director, Global Technology Recruiting
Established in 1996 in Amsterdam, Booking.com has grown from a small Dutch start-up to the third largest ecommerce company in the world. Booking.com is the largest business within Booking Holdings (NASDAQ: BKNG) and accounts for the vast majority of Booking Holdings’ total revenue. Booking Holdings is a leading Fortune 500 e-commerce conglomerate with a market cap of approximately $80 billion and revenues of $12.7 billion (2018). Booking.com currently employs more than 17,000 employees in 214 offices in 70 countries worldwide.
With a mission to make it easier for everyone to experience the world, Booking.com invests in digital technology that helps take the friction out of travel. Booking.com connects travelers with the world’s largest selection of incredible places to stay, including everything from apartments, vacation homes, and family-run B&Bs to 5-star luxury resorts and even tree houses. The Booking.com website and mobile apps are available in over 40 languages, offer more than 28,984,513 total reported listings, and cover 142,259 destinations in 229 countries worldwide. Each day, more than 1,550,000 room nights are reserved on its platform. So whether travelling for business or leisure, customers can instantly book their ideal accommodation quickly and easily, without booking fees and backed up by its promise to price match. Via the customer experience team, customers can reach Booking.com 24/7 for assistance and support in over 40 languages, any time of the day or night.
At Booking.com, we are all involved in making hundreds of decisions every day. The decisions we make are a reflection of our Values - they reflect what is important to us, both as individuals and as an organization.
When we use our Values to make decisions, we make a deliberate choice to focus on what is important. When Values are made explicit, they provide clarity on what “good” looks like. And when they are shared, they build unity in a group. They build culture.
- Think customer first. We obsess about adding value for our customers - guests, partners, colleagues - to make it easier for everyone to experience the world.
- Own it. We deliver on our promises, make informed decisions and prioritize to get the important things done today.
- Learn forever. We are resilient, take time to reflect, and seek to learn – from colleagues, from the outside world and from our failures.
- Succeed together.We celebrate team success, through making connections, building trust and valuing the diverse perspectives of others.
- Do the right thing. We get the right results the right way. For each other, our communities and the world around us.
Booking.com Leadership Team
Chief Executive Officer, Glenn Fogel
SVP, Chief Finance Officer, Marcela Martin
SVP, Chief Marketing Officer, Arjan Dijk
SVP, Commercial Operations and Accommodations Business Unit, James Waters
SVP, Chief Technology Officer, Matt Swann
SVP, General Counsel, Maria Barros
SVP, Chief People Officer, Paulo Pisano
For more information on the leadership biographies: please visit https://globalnews.booking.com/executive-biographies/
Director, Global Technology Recruiting
The Director, Global Technology Recruiting owns the strategic talent acquisition vision for the Technology, Product, Marketing functions and Transport Business Unit (TBU). Partnering with the senior management at ELT level (VPs and Senior Directors), the role will add value by ensuring excellence of service in business-as-usual hiring to support the present needs of the functions, while setting a vision and roadmap as to how Talent Acquisition will support the long-term goals of these functions and business units.
This role will manage ELT (VP or Senior Director) relationships across Technology, Product, Marketing functions and TBU. You will own primary relationships with the LT, with the Recruitment Managers reporting to this role owning relationships further down the management layer.
Reports to: Senior Director - Global Talent Acquisition
Direct reports: Recruitment Managers
- Partner with senior leaders in Technology, Product, Marketing functions and TBU to deliver the next phase of growth
- Recognise opportunities for improvement and execute the solution
- Help set the priorities and recruiting strategy, communicate regular updates to the Recruiting Leadership Team and scale the recruiting teams supporting Technology, Product, Marketing functions and TBU through the next evolution of Booking.com’s growth.
- Lead all Recruiting teams for Technology, Product, Marketing functions and TBU to deliver a best-in-class Talent Acquisition service involving change management, program management, process design, systems configuration and report creation.
- Oversee the hiring, development, performance management, goal setting and engagement of a world-class talent team
- Develop and partner with senior internal stakeholders at differing levels up to SVP to ensure full alignment with strategic goals and vision
- Partner with FP&A and People Ops to evolve headcount planning to ensure resources have been secured and are in place to deliver all hiring approved requirements.
- Deliver meaningful data and metrics on the performance of the Recruiting Teams under their purview to influence senior stakeholders on long term strategy which measure and scale effectively
- Ensure operational excellence at all levels of the Recruiting teams under their remit to ensure business continuity and a best-in-class partnership
- Develop a ‘customer first’ philosophy to all stages of the Recruiting cycle, ensuring an innovative, data-centric and curated experience to candidates and hiring managers
- Collaborate with peers in Talent Acquisition including Recruitment Ops and Recruitment Marketing, and People teams including Total Rewards, Organisation and Employee Success, HR Ops to build global alignment on Talent-related topics such as succession planning, organisational design, compensation evaluation and the onboarding experience
- Identify and develop innovative Recruitment technology to ensure efficient, creative and scalable tooling to deliver on short and long term targets
- 12+ years’ proven experience leading Technology or non-Tech recruiting teams in a global Tech, e-commerce or IT organisation
- Hands-on experience mentoring and growing high performing teams
- Experience building trusted relationships at all levels of an organization especially with senior executives
- Analytical mindset with the ability to identify metrics and data to back up their strategy and monitor and improve their team’s effectiveness
- Ability to learn and adapt to changing business priorities
- Passion for innovative sourcing and recruiting techniques with a focus on providing an amazing experience to both hiring managers and candidates
- Has a passion for understanding and analysing how data plays a part in Talent planning through workforce planning, volume and niche hiring
- Strong relationship-builder for senior leaders and ambassador for the recruiting teams supporting their designated business unit/s or function/s
- Drives high performance
- Able to constantly develop new and innovative ways in which the recruiting teams can support the business towards its goal of creating the seamless Connected Trip.
- A proven leader with a consultant’s mindset and an operator’s bias to action
OTHER PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Able to function in a fast-moving entrepreneurial environment
- Humble yet confident, with high self-awareness
- A strategic thinker yet focused on execution; able to roll up their sleeves to get things done
- Self-starter with high energy and drive; fast-paced and results-driven; forward-thinking
- Experimental, ready to learn and open to change
- Keep the customer at the centre of everything you do
- Good cultural and organizational sensitivity
- Committed to building a diverse, inclusive work environment
CRITICAL LEADERSHIP CAPABILITIES:
- Publicly identifies needed changes or directions that need adjustment, challenges assumptions and norms.
- The ability to “think big” and simultaneously understand and appreciate the details necessary to operationalize overarching strategies and goals; The ability to make sense of complex issues and ambiguous situations.
- Challenges assumptions about “the way things are done”.
- Communicates explicitly what must change, why changes are necessary, and possible outcomes and costs.
- Adjusts communication style to the audience to help them understand and accept the change.
- Encourages people to support and propose changes and ideas.
Building relationships, Collaborating and Influencing
- Establishes relationships and enhances the levels of cooperation, collaboration, and trust that exist between people, interacting with others personally, competently, and effectively. Establishes relationships inside and outside of the organization. Fosters a culture that makes people feel valued and respected and leverages even difficult or tense circumstances to enhance relationships.
- Negotiates with a genuine give-and-take approach, where both acts as true peers and decisions are shared.
- Spends time identifying all stakeholders necessary and meets or connects with all of them, neglecting no one to shape a collective consensus.
- Identifies opportunities to build relationships that will help others achieve their objectives and reaches out to those people or new people.
- Responds resourcefully, flexibly, and positively when faced with new challenges and demands. Willingly and effectively deals with the stress and complexities of various situations. Moves forward productively under conditions of change or uncertainty
- Demonstrates and fosters a sense of urgency, a “can-do” spirit, a sense of optimism, ownership, and a strong commitment to achieving goals and organizational success. Demonstrates a strong sense of ownership and a commitment to achieving meaningful results.
- Checks work of self and others against required quality standards.
- Reviews performance and progress on a regular basis to ensure the team is achieving results.
- Tests to see if goals are sufficiently challenging and implement corrective action based on deviations.
APPENDIX: BUSINESS LEADERS BOOKING.COM AND INDUSTRY COMMENTARY
Business Leaders and Overview
- Glenn Fogel (CEO): Video on outlook and competition from Google
- Booking Holdings and Expedia in arms race to deliver the connected trip
- Booking takes flight
- Brand Business - an interview with Arjan Dijk
- 4 Booking.com Product You Might Now Know About
- Booking launches ride-hailing service in partnership with Grab
- Booking.com: The Oral History of Travel's Greatest Acquisition
- Booking.com’s Executive Biographies
- Booking Holdings and acquisitions and internal growth
- Quarterly Results and Annual Reports Booking Holdings
Amsterdam and Relocation
- Life in Amsterdam and Relocating to Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Campus project and video here
- Working at Booking.com
- Amsterdam Teleport Information
- 30% ruling Amsterdam info and online calculator
- Numbeo cost of living comparison