At TRU, we believe in the power of education to transform lives and need multi-skilled teams to deliver an engaging and quality learning experience for our students. As one of the largest employers in the area you will find diverse opportunities that fit a wide variety of interests.
TRU’s Information Technology Services is a team of creators, collaborators and problem solvers—always accountable to each other and to the success of our students and employees. We are a dynamic team that loves what we do and is driven to make a difference in higher education by providing the infrastructure for automation and forward-thinking data strategies.
We are excited to build the expertise of our team as we move forward on an innovative path to enhance the student experience. Bring your skills and apply them in a collaborative and creative environment, and continue to grow and develop and with a team that offers flexibility to integrate work and life.
The Manager, Information Security is responsible and accountable for the effective and efficient facilitation and management of a comprehensive Information Security Program for Thompson Rivers University within the appropriate governance structure. This individual is expected to provide leadership and management of resources including the recruitment, supervision, evaluation, and development of human resources. This program is designed to cost effectively reduce the risk of loss from legal action, lost productivity, direct financial loss, and damage to the University's reputation posed by the intentional or accidental abuse or misuse of information assets. This will be achieved through the identification and classification of information assets, assessment of risks and vulnerabilities for these assets, and recommendation of appropriate and cost-effective mitigation strategies. These mitigation strategies will include drafting policy, recommending operational controls, building information security awareness, and leading the implementation of technical and non-technical security solutions. This position is also responsible for planning, leading, and coordinating incident response and strategic information security projects within ITS. An essential skill for this role is the ability to communicate effectively and closely with senior management, information security staff, peers, co-workers, and contractors. To perform her/his duties effectively this manager must work closely with the AVP-ITS & CIO, the University's Security Committee, Legal Counsel, Privacy and Audit functions, University administrative staff, members of the Executive, faculty, consultants, external auditors, students, and contractors. This position also develops and prepares various reports, technical documents, and correspondence. The Manager Information Security regularly administers contracts and directs the activities of contracted services.
- Leadership and management of resources
- Supervision, recruitment, evaluation and development of IT Security Analysts
- Manage and oversee projects that include team members from multiple ITS departments.
- Manage Working Sub-Committees of the Information Security Committee, and support the activities of the Information Security Committee.
- Develop an information security dashboard based on Key Performance and Key Risk Indicators.
- Provide advice on security issues and problems as the key information security subject-matter-expert at TRU.
- Develop and monitor relevant logs and reports to identify and/or avoid computer hacking and any other unauthorized or suspicious activity.
- Manage security incident response planning, execution, and awareness
- Develop and maintain an information security control framework, using one or more of ISO 27001/2, CoBiT, NIST, and/or ITIL frameworks applicable to information security.
- Manage information security policies and lead in their implementation.
- Within ITS, direct the enforcement of TRU systems security policies, as well as the development of additional policies specific to the hundreds of central servers and individual hosts managed by ITS.
- Oversee compliance development, monitoring, reporting, documentation, and training and the implementation of information security risk assessments, scanning, intrusion detection, monitoring, and remediation.
- Develop executive presentations and summaries on information security management topics. Develop and maintain the security awareness program. Conduct Security Awareness seminars periodically to alert University staff to security concerns and best practices.
- Serve as ITS' primary liaison with the TRU Security Committee, TRU's Campus Physical Security Officer, various law enforcement agencies, and TRU administration for information security policies, practices, and incidents. Maintain relationships with local, provincial, and federal law enforcement agencies and other security-related organizations.
Associate Vice-President, IT Services and CIO