Make an impact at a global and dynamic investment organization
When you invest your career in CPP Investments, you join one of the most respected and fastest growing institutional investors in the world. With current assets under management valued in excess of $400 billion, CPP Investments is a professional investment management organization that globally invests the funds of the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) to help ensure long-term sustainability. The CPP Fund is projected to exceed $450 billion by 2025. CPP Investments invests in all major asset classes, including public equity, private equity, real estate, infrastructure and fixed-income instruments, and is headquartered in Toronto with offices in Hong Kong, London, Luxembourg, Mumbai, New York City, San Francisco, São Paulo and Sydney.
CPP Investments attracts and selects high-calibre individuals from top-tier institutions around the globe. Join our team and look forward to:
- Diverse and inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Stimulating work in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Accelerated exposure and responsibility
- Global career development opportunities
- Being motivated every day by CPP Investments’ important social purpose and unshakable principles
- A deeply rooted culture of Integrity, Partnership and High Performance
If you share a passion for performance, value a collegial and collaborative culture, and approach everything with the highest integrity, here’s an opportunity for you to invest your career at CPP Investments.
The Tax team oversees the organization’s tax strategy and integrating awareness of tax risks into investment and business decision-making. Although CPP Investments is exempt from income tax in Canada, it is subject to a wide variety of foreign taxes on investment returns and operations. The tax team guides CPP Investments through the increasingly complex and evolving maze of international tax rules to maximize portfolio value by ensuring that investment and business decisions are made on a tax-informed basis. The Tax group oversees CPP Investments’ international tax related strategy, risk management, investment support and compliance.
Reporting to the Managing Director, Head of Tax & Structure Management, the Director, Tax is responsible for providing tax support to the investment departments and core services teams investing in LATAM (excluding capital markets). The Director will also partner with Tax team members responsible for managing tax issues associated with CPP Investments’ operations in the LATAM. The role includes investment structuring support, managing and reporting on tax risks, executing on strategic initiatives and nurturing relationships with local advisors, government officials in LATAM and industry peers.
The Director, Tax will be accountable for:
- Providing tax support within the scope of CPP Investments tax model to investment and core services teams in connection investments in LATAM
- Develop CPP Investments tax advisor relationships in the region, building relationships to meet the needs of the organization
- Monitoring new developments in LATAM laws or regulations applicable to CPP
- Tax filing obligations in LATAM related to CPP Investments investing activities, as supported by members of the Tax team
- Identifying and executing on opportunities to improve Tax team processes
- Lead certain tax related enterprise wide reporting and projects
Role Specific Accountabilities
1. Tax Support to Investment Departments investing in LATAM:
- Proactively identify best-in-class tax advisors to support the specific needs of investment teams investing across LATAM. On-board advisors, develop relationships, provide feedback and monitor performance to ensure advisors deliver to CPP Investments’ service and value expectations
- Maintain CPPIB’s institutional tax knowledge for LATAM (excluding capital markets).
- Monitor for changes of tax law or administrative practice and communicate these changes to stakeholders within CPPIB as well as work collaboratively to address structuring and operational requirements from changes of tax law / practice.
- Deliver early stage tax support as investment teams explore viability of new opportunities, restructures or dispositions.
- Provide support to investment teams in complex situations to ensure tax costs, risks and opportunities are well understood, monitor the quality of final technical opinions and tax ruling submissions and, if necessary, get involved to resolve service issues with advisors.
- Ensure the on-going tax management requirements for investments across the LATAM meet CPPIB’s standards, working with internal and external partners. Identify areas for improvement and recommend pragmatic solutions
- Strategic and final review of CPP Investments’ tax filings in LATAM, including identifying required filings with support from members of the Tax team.
- As necessary, provide similar support to other regions to ensure that global tax support provided to is balanced amongst competing priorities across the team
2. Broader support across tax risk and tax strategy:
- Monitor for changes in tax law or administrative practice impacting CPP Investments’ investments and operations in LATAM and communicate changes to internal stakeholders, working collaboratively with internal partners to address operational changes / considerations
- Support the Investment Tax group’s work with CPP Investments’ public affairs group to advance tax strategy initiatives in LATAM
- Maintain constructive relationships with tax departments of peer organizations
- Build and deliver a renewable program of core training for investment professionals and other departments investing in LATAM to increase their tax awareness and enable them to effectively understand tax issues relevant to their investments and activities
- Contribute to tax risk reporting to the Board, senior management and various internal stakeholders
- Assist in various special projects and initiatives
3. Build and maintain strong cross-functional relationships
- Build the trust of the investment departments that are directly supported and teams across Finance, Operations, Legal, Public Affairs and Communications and other Core Services groups
- Collaborate within the Tax team to leverage knowledge and experience and deliver reports to senior management on tax issues, risks and opportunities across product lines and geographies
- Promote collaboration and issue resolution within and across teams