Provide the expertise and knowledge that support the college curriculum and programs. Establish courses following accepted higher education standards, teach students using a variety of effective methodologies and provide engagement and support activities that encourage student learning. The role of the Workforce Training instructor encompasses teaching and learning, identification of various career pathways, professional development and institutional as well as community service. All Workforce Training instructors are expected to be actively engaged in ongoing student recruitment.Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Demonstrate skill and/or knowledge in teaching discipline.
• Make continuous efforts to improve the quality of instruction by reviewing and utilizing innovative methodologies, techniques, and delivery methods.
• Plan, develop, and use a variety of teaching methods and materials that assist students in meeting course objectives and which are appropriate for students with differing educational and experiential backgrounds and learning styles.
• Evaluate students to measure their progress toward achievement of stated course objectives and inform them of their progress in the course in a timely manner.
• Keep accurate student records and submit related reports and forms within requested timelines.
• Review, evaluate, and recommend student textbooks and learning materials.
• Teach courses at a variety of times and locations in response to institutional needs.
• Use equipment and facilities responsibly and courteously. Where appropriate, assist the chair with the routine maintenance of instructional laboratories.
• Demonstrate competence and interest in the use of technology in the classroom and willingness to explore new instructional methodologies.
• Maintain professional relationships with students, colleagues, and the community.
• Provide access to students through posted office hours, electronic communication, and other appropriate methods. Provide advice and assistance to students regarding instructional or program-specific issues.
• Make presentations on a particular academic field or program – its subject matter, objectives, opportunities for further study (transfer opportunities), and opportunities for work (co-ops, part-time, work-study) and careers, special clubs and activities available, support services, scholarships, etc.
• Learn and apply technologies that support student learning.
• Participate in the evaluation process for self, department, and college.
• Be familiar with and adhere to all policies and procedures of TSC.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
• A strong commitment to the mission of the community college.
• Possess the ability to work in a diverse work environment.
• Willing and able to teach day, evening, or weekend classes at a number of sites around the city.
• Knowledge and skill in a variety of computer usage and software are required.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse professional, community, and student populations.
• Possess good organizational and planning skills.
• Demonstrates sensitivity to students with diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds and students with disabilities.
• Demonstrated ability to inspire and motivate students in a learning-centered environment.
• Self-disciplined and able to effectively manage others.
• Attends the workplace regularly, reports to work punctually and follows a work schedule to keep up with the demands of the worksite.
• Completes duties and responsibilities in compliance with college standards, policies and guidelines.
• Promotes positive morale and teamwork within the functional unit and provides exceptional customer service to students, faculty and the community.
• Uses interpersonal skills and makes sound judgments to decide how duties and responsibilities are completed between coworkers, the supervisory chain, faculty, staff, students, and customers.
• Completes all required training and professional development sessions sponsored by Texas Southmost College (TSC).
• Supports the values and institutional goals as defined in the College’s Strategic Plan.
• Assists with the process for systematic review and evaluation of the planning unit per the model adopted by the College, including the development and monitoring of outcomes and plans of action for improvement based on the assessment of those outcomes and plans.
• Participates in the process for systematic review and evaluation per the institutional effectiveness model adopted by the College.
• Serves on committees as appropriate and as appointed by supervisor.
• Working hours may include evenings, holidays or weekends depending on deadline requirements and special events.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the education and experience required.
• High school diploma or GED required.
• 36 months of work experience required.
• Associate’s in Applied Science or Bachelor’s Degree preferred.Certificates and Licensures
• Master Electrician License, State of Texas.Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand. The employee is occasionally required to walk, sit, use hands and fingers to handle objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Ability to climb a ladder to retrieve and replace materials and supplies.Work Environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The duties listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Please note: Official transcripts are only required if recommended for hire.
Official transcripts shall be sent directly from the issuing institution to the College District’s Office of Human Resources and must include documentation of all credit earned, including the education requirements that specifically qualifies the applicant for the position. The address to send all transcripts is:
Texas Southmost College
Office of Human Resources
80 Fort Brown, Tandy 105
Brownsville, Texas 78520
For eTranscripts please use email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The College District recognizes equivalent credits and degrees earned from foreign universities. The equivalency shall be determined by translation and evaluation from a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). For more information please visit: [...]
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).