Callidus is looking for someone who likes getting out of the office and be on site! The purpose of this role is to review the constructed work against the construction documents to ensure that the project is being built to the requirements. The right person for this job is someone with good communication skills and who is a real team player; someone who will bring together the design team, contractors and owners to Make the Building Work!!
Callidus Engineering is a building services professional engineering firm providing mechanical and electrical design for an ever-expanding group of quality customers throughout Canada. Our wide variety of clients includes architects, building owners, property managers, government agencies and contractors. Project size varies from $50,000 to $30,000,000 in construction value leading to a fast paced and dynamic office. Our offices are located in London, ON and Kingston, ON.
One position in London ON
We are currently recruiting a field technician with building design experience or construction experience in Ontario. The role may be part-time or full time open for discussion with the candidate.
- Review the construction package and identify to the design team any concerns with constructability. From time to time, act as a resource for the design team during design to offer opinions on the effectiveness and constructability of design options.
- Attend site meetings with the trades and/or owners reviewing the construction progress and responding to contractor questions
- Conduct on-site field reviews of the mechanical and electrical construction progress and ensure work is being completed in general conformance to the construction drawings
- Document findings from site by generating field review reports noting the construction progress and any deficiencies in the work
- Coordinate with the design team to prepare documentation for site instructions or contemplated change notices
- Review monthly progress draws and complete payment certificates or provide comments to the prime consultant
- Review O&M manuals and final sign off documentation. Report findings to the signing engineers for acceptance prior to issuing the letter of general review.
- Establish effective relationships with all parties involved in the project focused on a team approach to the construction process.
- 10+ years of experience in building design/ construction/ maintenance industries
- University degree or College diploma in a related field such as Mechanical Engineering or Architectural Technology, or
- Relevant field experience and training demonstrated by various certifications such gold seal holder, construction estimator certificate, blue print reading certificate, etc.
- Experience with construction contract law and standard contract documents including but not limited to CCDC contracts, change orders, payment certificates, certificate of substantial completion, etc.
- Working knowledge of the building code and related standards such as NFPA and CSA – completion of the building code exams is an asset
- Understanding of mechanical and electrical systems including but not limited to chillers, boilers, air handling units, digital control systems, sprinkler systems, fire alarm systems, power distribution equipment, lighting systems, etc.
- Competent and comfortable with computers including email use, MS Word, MS Excel, etc.
- A valid Ontario ‘G’ Driver’s License and access to a vehicle
- Ability to multi-task and be organized, especially under the stress of multiple project deadlines
- Desire to work within a team environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English; French would be an asset
Why should you apply?
- Competitive pay – We offer competitive salary as well as performance bonuses for outstanding work.
- Ability to Grow – We invest in training our employees through formal out of office training sessions, in-office mentoring, and various online curriculum. We push our staff to take on more give assignments that challenge you.
- Great work environment – our people are what make us great and we reward that hard work by being an office that also has fun. And we are serious about having fun! Our social committee organizes summer potlucks, sporting events, parties and celebrations throughout the year. And don’t forget the nerf gun wars. Go to [...] to get a sense of our environment.
To apply for this position, please send your cover letter and resume, in PDF format, to:
Field Technician - London
Only qualified candidates will be contacted.