View the latest on our COVID-19 response and what this means for our people and recruitment. Learn more
Senior Finance Business Partner
Reports to: Director of Financial Business Performance
Purpose of role:
Senior Finance B usiness Partners operate at a strategic level, focused on partnering with key stakeholders in protecting and driving growth of the business. As part of the financial business performance team, they work with leadership and key stakeholders in advising and critically challenging strategic and operational decision making across the business. They bring analytical, commercial and strategic insights to drive performance and value creation.
We have a small number of Senior Finance Business Partners in the business. These are senior roles in the finance structure and are part of the Financial Business Performance team.
Example areas of where the Senior Business Partners and teams will spend time are outlined below. Although the Senior Finance Business Partners will naturally spend more time focused on specific areas and opportunities within the business, the expectation is that they and the team will be agile and aligned to business demands and where the value is. The expectation is that one of the Senior Finance Business Partners will have lead financial responsibility for property and similar investments, as well as being agile across other areas as the business demands.
Areas of Focus Summary Points Property & New Markets
- Provide lead financial analysis on all property investments undertaken by the company; new stores, extensions, refits, freehold, leasehold etc.
- Help drive property agenda by pro-active financial appraisal allowing more active portfolio management
- Financial advisory on any corporate finance activity undertaken by the company.
- New markets evaluation, recommendation and prioritisation/entry
Business Strategy & Planning
- Lead financial partnering relationship with strategy & transformation team
- Financial owner of key strategic business cases in Primark
- Lead financial representative on strategic reviews undertaken by the company, for example market or department reviews
- Longer term – financial ownership on some of the company’s main strategic programmes and the roll of these initiatives into a coherent, long-term plan.
Operational & Tactical Activities
- Drives insights to drive better performance in the business and exceed targets; e.g. sales and labour management, opex costs, absorption margin, operational and tactical initiatives etc.
- Drives analysis and partner with stakeholders to understand the what ifs to improve business performance.
- Market and competitor analysis and positioning
- Overall owners of cost programmes and lead in specific areas.
- Act as lead financial partner for key areas of the business, working side by side with key business stakeholders to design & deliver value at a strategic and operational level.
- Bring new ideas to the business, solving issues and shaping financial and business strategy
- Focus on head-up, forward looking activities to help maximise opportunity to create value
- Lead by example by developing trusting and collaborative relationships with stakeholders
- Influences key stakeholders and customers to achieve Primark’s desired financial outcomes
- Work collaboratively to construct compelling pieces of analysis, outlining issues, opportunities and solutions overseeing development & ensuring output is insightful & actionable
- Using deep business & commercial understanding, enable, challenge & influence strategic/ business plans, identify areas of risk & opportunity for digital enablement of relevant plans
- Oversee business case development, working with the various teams to deliver outcomes
- Collaborate with various stakeholders within Finance, Primark and externally to deliver result
Technical & Behavioural Competencies:
Successful candidates will meet the following criteria:
- Proven ability to influence senior stakeholders strategically within a commercial context and strong track record of business partnering with a senior-level client base.
- Strong communication skills. Ability to structure/present compelling stories to influence decisions.
- Strong commercial and financial acumen with the ability to quickly assimilate the implications of our performance or various strategic options and be able to communicate these clearly.
- Strong organisational, planning and delegation skills to balance many responsibilities simultaneously.
- Self-Motivated: Self-motivated with the ability to be comfortable in an agile, unstructured role
- Strategic Thinking: Is a strategic thinker and very comfortable working in this setting.
- Self-Direction and Agility; Promotes a positive culture and displays resilience when devising and implementing change. Ability to work independently and pro-actively
- Relationships & Influence: Adept at building relationships and influencing at all levels.
- Working with others; Demonstrates strong leadership skills to develop & retain high performing colleagues who build collaborative working relationships. High emotional intelligence
- Decision Making; Using analytics and insights, devises strategies for commercial business growth
- Innovation; Influences and empowers others to think creatively taking calculated risks to grow.
- Customer Focus; Drives initiatives that continually improve customer service and experience.
- Likely to be a qualified accountant and/or MBA with 7+ years progressive experience working in a strategic or finance, commercially focused role, in a consulting practice or industry.
- High level of commercial and financial acumen with the ability to formulate and clearly communicate analysis, insight and recommendations for future strategies
- Has worked in a fast-paced finance team, preferable in retail/FMCG
- Action orientated with the ability to identify and drive opportunities for growth, working cross functionally, not just identifying a problem or solution but making the change
- Strong work ethic and very comfortable working in an ‘unstructured’, consultative setting, with a focus on value creation
See where the job is, the fastest way to get there, places to eat, local gyms - and much more.
I joined Primark in November 2007. I’d been working in the cash office in another retail store at the weekends.
Every retail giant starts somewhere. And the Primark we all know today began as Penneys: a single store on Mary Street in Dublin city centre in 1969.
Explore Primark international HQ at 22-24 Parnell Street, Dublin, and find out how the space showcases our dynamic brand and heritage.
If you would like to sign up for email job alerts for future roles with Primark you can do so using the form below. We will only use the details you provide below to inform you about future vacancies that match your search criteria if and when they become available. The details you provide on this page will not be used to send unsolicited communication and will not be sold to a third party. You can select as many categories and locations as you wish.
Select a job category from the list of options. Search for a location and select one from the list of suggestions. Finally, click “Add” to create your job alert.
- Finance, Dublin, Leinster, Ireland Remove