Maersk is the largest shipping and container logistics company in the world. A $40bn organisation with over 85,000 people, we ship roughly 20% of the world’s container freight. We’re bringing our organisation together to become an integrated container shipping and logistics company, fundamentally re-thinking how we do business. Improving our customer experience is a core priority.
We are developing a new product that our suppliers can use to interact with Maersk to provide inland transportation. We need a full-stack engineer to support the development of this product and build a great experience for our suppliers.
In this role, you will have long-term ownership of the product including build, test, transition and operation using the latest technical stack.
Joining Maersk will embark you on a great journey with career development in a global organization. As a Lead Full Stack Engineer, you will gain broad business knowledge of the company’s activities globally.
You will work and communicate across geographical and cultural borders that will enable you to build a strong professional network. We will provide you with opportunities that broaden your knowledge and strengthen your technical and professional foundation.
This is a great opportunity for a highly motivated person interested in taking a role in setting the user experience of innovative and intuitive applications.
At Maersk we value the diversity of our talent and will always strive to recruit the best person for the job – we value diversity in all its forms, including but not limited to: gender, age, nationality, race, sexual orientation, disability or religious beliefs. We are proud of our diversity and see it as a genuine source of strength for building high performing teams.
As a full stack engineer you will be involved in the implementation of all parts of the product. Depending on the need you will be work closely with a UX engineer and visual designer to develop the front end or with other engineers on the backend. Together you will build a product that users love:
• Put users first: our users define the product we create.
• Own the product: the product must be ours so we can make the right decisions.
• Optimize value, minimize work: minimal solutions mean we provide value earlier
• Collaborate as part of an agile team to deliver product features
• Design, write and test clean code using design patterns and best practices
• Focus on code quality, maintainability, scalability, security and performance.
• Review code for other team members.
• Participate in sprint planning, backlog refinement and task estimation.
• Travel as needed to Maersk locations to meet and work with development team members based abroad (e.g. Denmark).
• Perform out-of-hours support tasks if needed
• 9-12 years of experience in mixed frontend/backend development. We recognise that the split of experience may not be equal, but we are looking for the willingness to switch from front to back end as per the demands of the product. Our goal to create a multi-skilled team
• Experience of using Vue. Experience with other frameworks such as Angular or React is useful but you will be using Vue in our product
• Experience of building micro-services. We use Java 8+ and Spring Boot, running them in Docker containers deployed on Kubernetes. Bonus points for reactive programming
• Experience of behavior-driven development (BDD) using frameworks such as Cucumber
• Able to write front-end code that is cross-browser and cross-device friendly, through responsive or adaptive techniques
• Solid written and verbal communication skills and able to articulate technical complexity to be understood by both technical and non-technical personnel
• Creation and ownership of technical designs
• Ownership of problems until they are resolved
• Experience of mentoring and supporting junior colleagues to help them grow
• Knowledge of agile development methods and how to structure teams within them
• Experience in leading agile ceremonies
• User-focused, whether responding to support queries or developing new features and functionality
• Experience using continuous integration/continuous delivery. Bonus points for knowing Azure DevOps
• Development and deployments on cloud infrastructure
• Experience of test-driven development (TDD)
• A commitment to continual learning
• Fluent in English, both verbal and in writing
• Experience of pair programming is a useful addition
• Experience of RDBMS database design and structures is useful
• Experience of event-driven systems such as Kafka is useful
• Working with and contributing to open source projects is a nice extra