Not the job you're looking for? Become a member of our talent community to stay connected and be informed of any new opportunities.
St Barbara is a growing gold company with a global outlook. We’re here to create value in everything we do, for our people, our communities and our shareholders.
An ASX200 company, our gold mining operations are located in Australia (Western Australia), Canada (Nova Scotia) and Papua New Guinea (Simberi). As we operate our business and care for our people, we are guided by our five commitments and values-led culture. These commitments are: Safety always; Empowered people, Diverse teams; Stronger communities; Respecting the environment; and Growing sustainably.
Our strong, values-led culture drives our behaviour and guides our decision making every day as we deliver to promise on our commitments.
We are proudly an employer of choice, committed to inclusion and diversity. We’re the only Australian mining company to be recognised as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality by the Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA); and in February 2021, we received this recognition for the seventh consecutive year. We provide industry best practice parental leave and return to work provisions, with nil gender pay gap in like-for-like roles. We are committed to addressing pay equity and gender equality through our recruitment, promotions, rewards and recognition.
Reporting to the Chief Geologist, Simberi Operations, as the Senior Resource Geologist you will provide resource and grade control estimation and modelling support, database and QAQC management. This role will also support resource definition drill program design and provide scheduling and planning support to the site based team in PNG .
This opportunity is a permanent role, based in our Perth Corporate Office on a Monday – Friday roster.
- Complete annual resource model updates as per JORC standard for Reserve Compilation, budget and LOM planning.
- Undertake resource modelling project work and data analysis as required including but not limited to – Lithology models, material type models – oxide, transitional, sulphide, geotechnical modelling, Au & S recovery models and NAF/PAF models.
- Maintain the geology databases for Simberi Operations through remote link including validation and reporting of RC & diamond drill data.
- Provide daily update of geology database files for Simberi Operations through scheduled tasks, batch scripting and providing reports/queries and database development improvement as required.
- Update Simberi Operations database guidelines, procedures and reporting as required.
- Run audit checks on the geology databases and analyse for gaps/missing data and provide support to rectify issues including reviewing drill hole data for reliability.
- Provide advice, support and direct to medium and long term drill program planning to ensure accurate delineation of economic mineralisation and potential extensions of economic mineralisation.
- Complete programs designs for Simberi Operations as per the schedule.
- Provide resource geology input into the budget, forecast and LOM planning.
What you can expect from us
- A caring and supportive culture.
- Professional and positive team environments on site, and at all facilities.
- A 'grow our own' approach with a preference to develop and promote internally.
- Access to professional development activities and educational assistance.
- Competitive salary and options for salary sacrificing.
- Access to a generous superannuation scheme including salary continuance and death and disability cover.
- A proud Equal Opportunity Employer and Employer of Choice for Gender Diversity.
What we will expect from you
You should feel a strong alignment with St Barbara’s values as you will be required to live them.
- You will have tertiary level qualifications in Geology or a comparable discipline.
- You will have worked for at least five (5) years within resource estimating roles in the mining industry.
- You will be very capable utilising geostatistics and variography for mineral resource estimation.
- You will be skilled in mining and geostatistical software, ideally Datamine or Deswik.
- You will be familiar with external reporting standards (JORC).
- Your experience and exposure will be across different geological types and styles of deposits.
- You will have a considerable practical experience from operational mine sites in either open pit or underground environments.
- You will be skilled and experienced in targeting and supervising drilling programs.
- You are able to produce a National Police Clearance (valid within the last 12 months) for site access purposes.
- You will ideally be AUSIMM/AIG affiliated or similar industry member.
Does this sound like you? If so, we’d love to hear from you.
Please note, candidates are required to undertake pre-employment checks including pre-employment medical, drug and alcohol screens and a police check/criminal history check. Candidates must have the ability to be cleared for a National Police Clearance for site access purposes.