500! With over 500 active IP litigations in more than 50 countries, the Global Head IP Litigation for Novartis Group has the unique opportunity to coordinate, manage, and influence important patent and trademark matters around the world. This position facilitates collaboration and best practices for our team of dedicated and experienced litigators who design and implement the IP strategies needed for Novartis innovative medicine and generic products, all for the ultimate benefit of patients and society. The Global Head IP Litigation ensures a thoughtful balance of litigation with a respect for valid IP rights so that Novartis advances as a reputational leader among pharmaceutical companies.
As our Global Head IP Litigation, you will act as a strategic partner for litigators and business leaders in the BU or Division on global IP litigation and strategy, and be accountable for delivering the highest quality litigation practices for Novartis Group. You will chair the Global IP Litigation Team, be a member of the IP Leadership Team, and be a thought leader among our patent, trademark and operational associates and support staff. In addition, you will contribute significantly to the development of cross-divisional IP operational and strategic objectives.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Oversee, coordinate, and drive the strategy for significant complex IP disputes (including patent and trademark litigations, arbitrations, and investigations) globally throughout the Novartis Group, supporting the Divisions/Units with litigation best practices and enterprise-wide viewpoints, and developing and delivering IP litigation and dispute resolution strategies (including settlement negotiations) in significant cases in line with business requirements.
• Lead the Global IP Litigation Team, comprised of division IP litigation heads, as well as the Group IP Litigation Team, comprised of colleagues handling enterprise-wide IP litigation resources and directing specific litigations as needed.
• Develop and drive the IP and regulatory litigation governance framework (including the IP and Regulatory Group Litigation Reviews), establish appropriate tools and processes, and manage law firm panel members and other IP litigation service providers.
• Advise and handle special projects for the Global Head IP and members of the IP Leadership Team, as well as senior business leaders, on IP litigation and risk exposure, including strategies for minimizing adverse consequences from such disputes.
• Coordinate the group-wide IP litigation SOX and internal reporting and public disclosures, and ensure quality and consistency of reporting.
• Improve exchange of information and know-how cross-divisionally and provide training, with the goal that in-house lawyers take a consistent and proactive approach in effectively dealing with IP disputes