Head of Digital for Operations - Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany
Products & Services
Science & Technology
Global DE EN Back About us Company
Who We Are
Breakthroughs begin with Curiosity
Sustainable Development Goals
Science & Technology
Products & Business
Health for All
Reports & Guidelines
Collaboration in Healthcare
Collaboration in Life Science
Collaboration in Performance Materials
Procurement at Merck
Back Products & Services
Vibrant Thoughts Blog
Neurology & Immunology
Clinical and Diagnostics
Food and Beverage
Government & Academic Research
Pharma and Biopharma Manufacturing
Pharma Quality Control
Back Science & Technology Research
Our R&D Approach
Global R&D Hubs
Future Insight Prize
2020 Research Grants
2020 Research Challenges
Grants and Awards
Diversity & Inclusion
Events & Presentations
Reports & Financials
Shares & Bonds
IR Contact & Services
Head of Digital for Operations
Posted 15 Oct 2020
Carrigtwohill, Cork - Ireland
Req Id 211078
Share Apply Now
A career at our company is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 57,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others.
Your Role :
Global Head of Digital for Operations is responsible for building the strategic plan and driving the implementation of the key digital technology initiatives, to achieve the ambition of our manufacturing, supply chain and distribution network in our Life Science business. This role is key to achieving our ambitious revenue growth and productivity goals, while ensuring the quality of our products and compliance of our operations.
This newly created role will give you direct management responsibility over a focused team of project managers, technology experts and analysts. You will work closely with other team members from support functions and site teams, across our Integrated Supply Chain and Operations (ISCO) network. You will build individual business cases and execution plans and obtain management approval for significant investment initiatives that w ill drive the digital transformation of our sites through the appropriate application of technology for sensing, data collection, data processing, analytics, reporting and control systems. You and your team will manage execution of these initiatives to detailed execution plans you develop, with internal and external partners, developing robust processes and achieving project goals within committed timing and costs. You will strongly interact with our global teams focusing on innovation and digitalisation and bring external insights from industry on latest global digital technology opportunities. The role is key to deliver the OT/IT and digital ecosystem driving the implementation of Connected plants & Connected Labs across the network and enabling operations readiness for Industry 4.0.
You will manage team and project budgets and regularly update senior leadership with accurate technical, business and financial status of your initiatives. You will build and sustain a team(s) of capable resources for execution of initiatives and onging development of our digital roadmaps.
Location can be based in Burlington MA USA, St Louis MO USA, Darmstadt Germany , Cork Ireland , or Molsheim France.
Your key responsibilities in this role will be :
- Developing and refining digital roadmap for ISCO (Integrated Supply Chain and Operations), in collaboration with key partners and ensuring internal alignment with key stakeholders.
- Ensure that ISCO is selecting, prioritising and investing in the technologies that will have the most added value. You and your team will complete technical feasibility, cost and benefit assessments of options and prepare business cases for management approval
- Management of Opex and Capex for all “Data & Digital” projects in close relationship with Operations leadership, Strategy team and IT
- Manager and ensure execution of projects that deliver expected business results and compliance requirements, within timing and budget commitments
- Build, continuously engage and develop a team of capable professionals to support overall roadmap and individual projects execution.
- Provide technology governance on key systems implemented across he ISCO network including LIMS/LES/ MES/ Data Historian etc)
- Support the building of overall organisational capability and engagement in digitalisation of operations and the application of data analytics to drive business value from our use of data.
- Develop and manage external partnerships with key IT/OT solutions and service providers. Maintain knowledge of state-of-the-art operational technologies and IT solutions (technology scouting) and evaluate applicability and business potential for ISCO sites of latest global technology opportunities.
- Provide Digital Governance by managing and overseeing multiple pilots and tech initiatives and driving them towards scale-up.
- Support Digital Transformation with change management on digital enablement and proposals for organizational adaptions.
Who you are:
- Technical degree to minimum Bachelor level in Engineering, Computer Science, Industrial automation
- PMP certified or similar project management certification
- 10+ years in digital/automation strategy and execution roles. Proven experience leading the development and execution of digital strategy in an operations, quality or supply chain environment.
- 5 years + management experience in digital / industrial automation role
- Excellent communication skills (fluent English mandatory). Experience in developing compelling ,fact driven business cases and securing investment decisions from senior leadership.
- Demonstrated experience driving digital projects from first selection of digital ideas by business potential, to solid business case, to piloting and scale up in an organization
- Demonstrated experience in leading multi-site / multi million euro digital and automation initiatives across manufacturing, quality labs and distribution sites
- Experienced in implementation of digital systems and infrastructure in regulated environments and applicaiton of digital quality systems
- Demonstrated experience in identification of partners among external solutions providers, universities and research institutes and building partnerships for advanced technology development.
- Experiece in working across multiple cultures. Ability and willingness to travel on average 30% (and up to 50% for limited periods)
- Broad and deep knowledge in application of MES/LIMS/ LES/ SCADA/ Data Historian/ EBR systems
- MBA or technical Masters qualification
- Experience implementing digitalisation projects in QC labs and in manufacturing environments
- Working level of technical German
- 5+ Years’ experience in implementation of digital quality systems in regulated environments
- Demonstrated ability to create long term vision and strategy
- Demonstrated success in collaboration across multiple cultures in a matrix organisation
- Formal project management qualification/ certification
- Demonstrated financial acumen and ability to communicate clearly on technical and business subjects with senior leadership
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
Let’s stay connected
Do you want to receive company news and information about career opportunities tailored to your preferences? Sign up here.You want to check the status of your application or change your candidate profile? Enter our job portal.
Stay connected Job Portal
- Contact us
- General Medicine
- Neurology & Immunology
- Clinical & Diagnostics
- Emerging Biotech
- Environmental Testing
- Food & Beverage
- Government & Academic Research
- Pharma & BioPharma Manufacturing
- Pharmaceutical Research
- Pharma QC
- Effect Pigments
- Functional Solutions
Copyright 2020 Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany
- Legal Disclaimer
- Privacy Statement