About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is powered by the belief that a better world is possible. To do this, we know our teams do their best work when they are diverse and every team member feels that they belong. We welcome diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be stronger and have long term impact.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps works in places of transition, where conflict, disaster, political upheaval, or economic collapse present opportunities to build more secure, productive, and just communities. Providing emergency relief in times of crisis, we move quickly to help communities recover and build resilience to future shocks, and promote sustainable change by supporting community-led and market-driven initiatives.
General Position Summary
The HR Manager responsible for overseeing Mercy Corps Puerto Rico Human Resources unit and related functions to support team member needs. The HR Manager develops a hiring and talent development strategy for the mission in Puerto Rico while also focusing on the proper implementation of HR procedures, policies and standards. The HR Manager works closely with the Director of Programs and the Puerto Rico Director to ensure diversity, inclusion and safeguarding standards are met. They also lead recruitment strategies and support managers with all HR related issues.
They will ensure compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures and updates the Team Member Policy Handbook and Puerto Rico local policies. They will provide support and advise the Puerto Rico Director and HR issues. The HR Manager works closely with the Senior Leadership Team (SLT), Program Managers, and the People Team at HQ to increase efficiency in HR procedures for the Puerto Rico mission.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Recruitment, Selection and Placement
- Coordinate with program managers to ensure all hiring requests are complete according to Recruiting Policies and Procedures of Mercy Corps.
- Partner with leadership to proactively anticipate hiring needs, give input into the organizational structure and define position descriptions.
- Supervise recruitment process to ensure that all team members comply with all required steps such as advertisement, shortlisting of CVs and interviews.
- Certify Mercy Corps Global hiring strictly adheres to labor law in Puerto Rico and other US laws as applicable. This includes, but is not limited to, payment of appropriate taxes, benefits, security clearance of candidates before hiring, Department of Labor and “Fondo del Seguro del Estado”, among others.
- Ensure that exit process for staff departing Mercy Corps is conducted in line with Global HR policies and Mercy Corps requirements.
- Collaborate with HQ to organize and help with the onboarding process for new hires.
- Ensure that orientation is conducted for each newly hired team member.
- Lead the development and implementation of consistent systems of new team member induction and service requests between HR and other departments.
- Ensure HR is providing new hires MC ID card, email and all relevant documents upon starting their positions. This includes signing of a Position Description, contract, and policy documents detailing Mercy Corps procedures, including, but not limited to, Team Member Handbook and Security Manual.
- Confirm new team members are trained on timesheet procedures.
Human Resource Management
- Maintain personnel and job files to the required level in line with Mercy Corps rules and regulations, including recruitment documents, CVs, valid contracts, Personnel Action Forms (PAFs), timesheets, leave days, employee data sheets, disciplinary papers, annual performance evaluations, etc.
- Ensure the performance review processes are completed on time and with quality results. Train supervisors on how to properly conduct and track the evaluation processes.
- Work with Global HR Officer and Benefits Administrator at HQ to ensure a Benefits Summary and process is consistent with the global philosophy as well as the US labor laws and taxes.
- Collaborate with Team Leader to implement new salary scale and participate in regular salary surveys in Puerto Rico in order to ensure that that salaries and benefits are competitive within the market.
- Assist with operational budget for team members as requested.
- Liaise with program managers to ensure country org charts for programs and operations exist and positions are covered within budgets. Make sure that org charts are updated on regular basis.
- Ensure all interventions adhere to Mercy Corps’ Gender Policy, Do No Harm principles, and beneficiary accountability standards.
- Support conflict management in the work scenario.
Policies and Manuals
- Update the Team Member Handbook in line with latest US and Puerto Rico Labor Law and clarify as necessary with team members.
- Monitor HR related laws, policies and “best practices” to ensure that personnel policies, employment practices, and compensation packages are within the limits of established guidelines, procedures, and policies of Mercy Corps, US and Puerto Rico laws.
- Provide HR support to leadership as needed.
- Spearhead incoming requests from HQ related to team members.
- Ensure all new national staff has a copy of Mercy Corps Personnel Policies and Procedures Handbook and insurance policy manual.
- Responsible for team building activities
Reports Directly To: Puerto Rico Director
Supervises: HR Intern, HR Coordinator
Knowledge and Experience
- Master’s degree in relevant field, preferred HR
- Minimum 7 years field experience setting up and managing human resource systems, experience with NGOs and Puerto Rico regulations preferred.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, following procedures, meeting deadlines and problem-solving independently and cooperatively.
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills.
- Excellent conflict management skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office and Google software required (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Excellent oral and written English skills required.
- Excellent oral and written Spanish skills required.
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.