Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 325 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
PayPal is seeking an international intern under Strategic Technology Enablement (STE) through HKMA’s Banking Talent Programme from September 2020 to February 2021. For details for the Programme, please visit its webpage (www.hkib.org/bankingtalent). Centralized training, internal training and professional training will be provided. As a technology intern, you will work with a global technology and information security team invested in your growth and development, with a dual reporting line to our international leadership and the company’s Chief Architect. You will be tasked with helping us to up level PayPal’s data handling processes to better address emerging requirements for data locality, privacy, and governance. You will identify existing and emerging trends and regulations around the world to document, develop, and implement patterns and best practices that meet our current and future business and compliance needs.
- Gaining an understanding of how PayPal uses data responsibility and its importance in offering safe, secure payment services to our customers.
- Evaluating and documenting differing standards and regulations concerning data handling, storage, and movement in jurisdictions around the world.
- Researching industry best practices for tools and technologies that can be used to improve PayPal’s data management and security capabilities.
- Developing POCs and pilot projects that will evaluate a specific technology’s applicability, performance, and scalability.
- Working with stakeholders across PayPal to develop new policies and processes to further safeguard customer and employee data and provide greater visibility and oversight into data operations.
- Presenting findings and conclusions to members of PayPal’s risk and compliance teams, senior leadership, or other internal or external stakeholders.
What We Are Looking For:
- 2020 graduates with a bachelor’s degree in a local Hong Kong university majoring in computer science, computer engineering, information systems or related.
- Coursework should include computer science fundamentals, information security or governance, programming languages, and related technical studies.
- Experience with databases or encryption is a plus.
- Interest in law and policy related to technology is a plus.
- Strong English communication, particularly written English.
- Ability to work well within a team environment and an interest in deepening knowledge of information security principles.
- Demonstrated abilities to comprehend, discuss and apply concepts and theories within both overall Information Technology and Information Security / Governance fields.
- Strong analytical skills along with necessary communication skills to document processes and actions taken to complete each assignment.
In your time with PayPal, you will have the opportunity to gain hands-on knowledge of what it takes to operate one of the world’s largest digital financial platforms and to create clear, timely, and well-researched artifacts that can inform and educate team members, senior management, and the public.
You will be based in Hong Kong and required to work closely with colleagues our headquarters in San Jose, and regional offices across Asia (China, India, Singapore etc). In the Hong Kong office, you will get a chance to interact with colleagues from different functions such as sales, account management, engineering, operations, corporate governance and risk and compliance.
We know the and can get in the way of meeting spectacular candidates. Please don't hesitate to apply.
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.