Posting Date: Apr 23, 2021
Primary Location: Non-Japan Asia-Hong Kong-Hong Kong-Hong Kong
Job: Legal and Compliance
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 42 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Compliance Department is a service-oriented department which provides guidance and advice to all business and support staff at the Firm, including Sales & Trading, Research, Investment Banking, Finance, Administration and Operational staff.
The Department provides general transactional guidance and advice to Business Units and other staff, implements compliance policies as required, and provides training. It also undertakes surveillance activities and utilises exception reports to monitor and, where appropriate, investigate Firm, customer and employee trading activity. The Department is also called upon to render advice on legal requirements; the rules and regulations of statutory and SROs, exchanges, and other bodies; and Firm policies and procedures.
The Control Group is responsible for monitoring the Firm’s Information Barriers, policies and procedures implemented to maintain said Information Barriers and pre-clearance of certain business activities that may present potential conflicts of interest. The Research & Investment Banking coverage team within the group is primarily responsible for the review of Research, chaperoning and gatekeeping communications between Research and the Private Side as well as personal account trade pre-clearances and the maintenance of the Firm’s Watch and Restricted Lists.
Day-to-day responsibilities of the members of the Control Group Research and Investment Banking Coverage include, but are not limited to:
- Ongoing Watch and Restricted List maintenance, including necessary interactions with private side deal team members or other relevant LCD or business unit contacts.
- Documentation and relevant notifications under the Firm’s Wall Crossing policies and procedures.
- Review of Fixed Income and Equity Research against the Firm’s Watch and Restricted List for compliance with relevant securities laws and with internal policies, such as the Firm’s M&A Research Policy.
- Chaperoning and gatekeeping of permissible communications between Research and the Private Side under the Global Research Settlement and relevant internal policies and procedures.
- Employee trade pre-clearances for business units or individuals subject to trade pre-clearance with the Control Group due to their private side, Above-the-Wall or Over-the-Wall status.
The “Control Group Manual” and the “Chaperone Manual”, among other policy and procedure documents, provide further details on Control Group responsibilities.
If an issue or problem comes to the attention of the member of the Control Group Research & Investment Banking coverage team, the individual should determine whether it is necessary to consult with the Regional Control Group Manager, the Global Head of the Control Group, Litigation, LCD Management, or other appropriate areas. Notwithstanding relevant supervisory reviews that would identify this, if the individual feels they cannot complete their assigned responsibilities or cannot complete them timely, the individual should bring that to their supervisor’s attention.
Due to the diverse and widespread nature of the team’s role, the team members are in close constant contact with other staff from Legal and Compliance and various business units. Interaction can often be with very senior members of staff. The Firm runs a global Control Group and there is regular contact with staff in Tokyo, London and New York.
The successful candidate will jointly report to the Regional Control Group Manager of the region they are in and the Regional Control Group Manager of the region they cover, both managers report into the Global Head of Control Group and the Regional Heads of Private Side Compliance. Training needs for the individual would be reviewed regularly.
• University graduate or equivalent degree (in business, accounting or law ideally)
• The candidate does not need previous Control Group experience;
• Familiarity with general compliance issues and relevant laws and regulations. Particular experience with insider dealing and Information Barrier issues, Market Abuse, Financial Promotion, Code of Market Conduct and applicable laws and regulations would be a benefit
• Professionally mature and articulate
• Good analytical and numerical skills
• Good communication skills in order to present views to senior management and to explain technical requirements
• Ability to remain focused under pressure, identify and set priorities for others, perform multiple tasks simultaneously
• Able to develop strong relations with business units
• Able to provide supervision of other staff and have experience of providing feedback and developing other team members
• Experience of identifying, evaluating and implementing improvements that either increase the performance of the CG or improve risk management
• Able to work both as a team player as well as independently
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.