This position is not tied to a specific location in Brazil, please see at the bottom of this page for location requirements, apologies for any resulting confusion. Please submit all application materials in English.
PAD is a fast-growing global non-profit start-up that uses tech, data science and behavioral economics to provide targeted information to farmers in developing countries. Providing the right information to the right people, in the right way and at the right time, increases incomes, protects the environment and improves well-being. We are evidence-based: we test our interventions with randomized control trials to prove our impact and cost effectiveness, to simultaneously learn from and improve our service, and also to demonstrate our value to funders and partners. There are few programs in international development that are as demonstrably cost-effective as ours. We currently work in eight countries in Africa and Asia, and we are expanding as more governments and organizations look for innovative ways to use new technologies to get information to people across the developing world.
We are looking for a driven, creative and independent person to join a high-performing, flexible team as a Country Launch Manager to start PAD’s new operations in Brazil - our first program in Latin America. You will work in a non-hierarchical team and have opportunities to work closely with PAD’s global leadership, other PAD country teams, and affiliated researchers, and substantially contribute to a new PAD program that tests new ideas, measures their impacts, and scales them up.
The role of the Country Launch Manager is to lead the initial development and launch of PAD's program and operation in Brazil. We expect that over time as our country operation grows and assuming strong performance, the role will evolve into a member of PAD's Brazil country leadership. Depending on the candidate's strengths and the needs of the program over time, the role could evolve into leadership of functions like partnerships, research, programs, product, or operations.
We strongly encourage applications from women and Brazilian nationals.
Please note that we do not expect that our top candidates will have prior experience with all the job responsibilities listed below. We are seeking candidates who are entrepreneurial, good team leaders, research-oriented, and focused on applying the evidence-based approach to improving the lives of the rural poor. If you have these character traits, and you have prior work experience in several of the areas mentioned below, we encourage you to apply.
The Country Launch Manager will be responsible to launch and manage PAD’s new operations in Brazil. In order to facilitate a steady stream of programmatic, research, and product development opportunities, the successful applicant will also actively contribute to fundraising, funder reporting, and research dissemination.
The Country Launch Manager will report to the Latin America Regional Director and will work closely with other relevant Program Leads and Global Directors, and various research affiliates. The position will be located in either Brasilia, Brazil or a state capital in the Northeast Region such as Salvador (Bahia State), Recife, (Pernambuco State), or Fortaleza (Ceara State), and will temporarily be a work-from-home position due to the current COVID-19 pandemic. When it is safe to do so, this position will be based from PAD’s office in Brazil and will require frequent travel to field locations nationally. PAD is a start-up organization and will require flexibility from all staff with regards to roles and responsibilities.
The Country Launch Manager will be responsible for the following main tasks:
- Supervise the launch and implementation of PAD’s new mobile agricultural advisory services in Brazil, including developing partnerships with governments and other organizations, securing any relevant regulatory approvals, designing and improving new digital products and services, acquiring users, developing advisory content, developing protocols for monitoring digital platforms, ensuring rigorous testing and piloting of our platforms, collecting feedback from the platform users, and planning the development of new features;
- Support the development and successful implementation of rigorous research projects. This largely involves effective collaboration and implementation with external researchers and PAD’s research staff. This will include activities such as engaging with the existing evidence base on rural development in designing our programs, and ensuring that our research design, implementation, and analysis follows appropriate technical guidelines in areas such as sampling, data collection, research protocols, data quality and security, and data cleaning and analysis;
- Work with relevant PAD country teams, researchers, and research affiliates to manage the implementation of research projects and ensure that projects adhere to policies, procedures, and timelines.
- Develop and maintain close relationships with key Government institutions;
- Develop and or contribute to an evidence-based impact strategy, identifying scalable opportunities to increase the profits of Brazilian farmers using mobile phone-based information services;
- Lead or support the team to develop and rapidly iterate our products and services for the Brazilian market. Pair product development approaches such as human centered design, rapid prototyping, and testing minimum viable products with rigorous quantitative research. We don't require that you be an expert in these approaches, but we do ask that you bring a high degree of curiosity and empathy to understand farmer challenges, creativity to brainstorm solutions, and a desire to move quickly to test new ideas rigorously and then change your hypotheses on the basis of trial results;
- Bring an entrepreneurial spark to launching our new Brazil program: a sense of urgency to achieve results, strong problem solving skills, flexibility to change direction in the face of unexpected obstacles, and ability to balance between many competing tasks;
- Directly supervise program staff (Research and Operation Associates, Program Associates, Agronomists, Field Staff, Call Center Staff, Interns, etc.), and lead hiring, training, and onboarding of new/incoming program staff;
- Maintain excellent relationship and communication with our partners to ensure the success of our programs;
- Develop and maintain work plans and timelines across workstreams to ensure optimal allocation of resources and meeting key deadlines on time;
- Keep the Latin America Regional Director and the Global Director of Programs appraised of all developments on the workstreams in the Brazil portfolio, and serve as key link between partners, funders, program staff, and PAD researchers;
- Support partnership development and the dissemination of results via presentations and reports to our funders and partners;
- Contribute to project financial management, including creation and monitoring of program budgets;
- Lead the administrative registration and set-up of PAD in Brazil.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree in economics, agricultural economics, public policy, business (MBA), computer science, data science, or a closely related field.
- Strong technical understanding of economics, research, and randomized evaluations.
- At least four years of experience in a multi-faceted role dealing with multiple projects and stakeholders; with at least 2 years of experience managing large projects or launching new projects, programs, or business units.
- Comfort engaging with high level policy contacts (e.g. senior officials, senior staff from international organizations).
- Strong quantitative analytical skills, and good ability to move between data and strategic insights.
- Strong writing and oral communication skills in English and Portuguese, with attention to detail and advanced writing and presentation skills.
- Strong tenacity and self-motivation, with skill in working proactively to achieve deliverables under tight timelines.
- Experience managing and working collaboratively with a diverse team.
- Willingness to travel up to 30% within Brazil and potentially within the Latin America region.
Desired Qualifications and Experience: Our preferred candidates are likely to have some, but not all, of the following qualifications:
- A master's degree in economics, agricultural economics, public policy, business (MBA), computer science, data science, or a closely related field.
- Experience managing in a fast-moving entrepreneurial environment with limited supervision and high degree of uncertainty.
- Prior experience in one of the following areas:
- Experience working on experimental research, including randomized evaluations and primary data collection, in developing countries.
- Experience in the technology or startup sector.
- Experience working on agricultural programs.
- Experience in management consulting.
- Previous work experience in Brazil or other Latin American countries.
- Full time
- Start date: As soon as possible
- Location: Brasilia, Salvador (Bahia State), Recife (Pernambuco State), or Fortaleza (Ceara State), Brazil (temporarily work-from-home due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, until it is safe to work from PAD’s office)
- Compensation: Commensurate with experience
- Work authorization: This position is contingent upon the candidate being able to get work authorization in Brazil.
To apply, please visit the PAD website and use the online application form. The job position will be reviewed on a rolling basis and open until the position is filled.