About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
Standard Chartered Bank has a bold ambition to be the number one Learning function in financial services: “having world-class learning that unlocks the unique potential of our people and helps them contribute their best to Standard Chartered and our clients, both today and as we transform into the future”.
To achieve this ambition, the People Capability function has reinvented its organisation design to organise around Tribes, Disciplines and Squads. In this model:
- Multi-disciplinary “Squads’’ deliver work to achieve the function’s priorities.
- “Priorities” are the way in which work is organised and relate to unique areas of delivery. Squads delivering on different projects within the same strategic priority are grouped together and called “Tribes’’.
- All Squad members are “Discipline’’ practitioners and are dynamically allocated to Squads through Disciplines:
- Disciplines are the ‘homes’ for practitioners to develop their professional excellence and to maintain a common approach to similar activities and tasks
- They provide a stable community for practitioners to belong to (as people move across Squads)
- They enable multi-skilling and development of depth and breadth or “T-shaped” capabilities
Strategic Importance of Role
- Two capabilities are becoming increasingly critical to organisations in general, and learning functions in particular: innovation/insight and creativity. Our Disciplines allow us to ensure the appropriate focus on building and amplifying these capabilities within the People Capability team as well as across Standard Chartered.
- The Lead Practitioner, Creative and Delivery provides hands-on guidance, coaching and mentoring to a group of skilled practitioners from their hubbed markets agile pool that are homed within the Discipline. The role holder will be responsible for helping practitioners to achieve their potential in the Discipline and contribute to their best as a part of the squads. In some instances, Lead Practitioners may also assume People Leader responsibilities.
- This Discipline should track contemporary and compelling stories, people and experiences and find ways to bring them into our designs across Standard Chartered. In this capacity, the role holder supports, adapts and enhances new work standards, processes and practices of the Discipline. They must lead by example in sharing expertise and advice on transferring ideas and insights regarding their Discipline into improving the productivity and performance of the squads. The role encourages the Discipline practitioners to focus on improving the branding, look and feel as well as the visual experience of our learning.
- The role holder also spends approximately 60% of their time within a squad contributing as a squad member from the Creative and Delivery Discipline for large scale and complex projects as prescribed by the tribe.
- Along with these Discipline responsibilities, the role holder will also provide L&D support for regulatory learning requirements in their hub, ensuring appropriate readiness for audit and compliance reviews and to ensure staff are competent to conduct their roles. This can include advisory on building country alliances and partnerships with local Banking Associations, professional body chapters and educational agencies of the government.
- In all situations, Lead Practitioners will work with their Hub Leads, Cluster/ Country Leads as well as the Today Mandatory Tribe Head to ensure that local regulatory / compliance learning and competency requirements are clearly managed, ideally by leveraging global solutions as much as possible.
What the role requires
The role requires an individual who is able to empower Discipline practitioners, bringing energy and drive to motivate and inspire teams. The role holder should also be willing to bring in external/ new thought leadership, emerging best practices and innovations, storytelling and creative techniques to actively upskill the Discipline practitioners on.
The role holder should additionally:
- Actively coach and mentor a group of Discipline practitioners, providing hands-on guidance encouraging higher performance and driving people engagement.
- Collaborate with the other Lead Practitioners in Creative and Delivery Discipline to improve ways of working and realise our creative potential.
- Continually scan the external environment, developing knowledge of the contemporary, interesting stories, visual and graphical techniques to bring into creative learning design and delivery.
- Work through local networks to ensure hub markets meet their regulatory, compliance and audit needs and ensures appropriate readiness for audit and compliance reviews.
What the role does
Coaching and mentoring support
- Mentors the Creative and Delivery Discipline practitioners, encouraging them to continuously build mastery of craftsmanship by identifying and providing growth and learning opportunities.
- Collects regular feedback from Squad Leads, Product Owners and other Squad Members to inform their evaluations of the Creative and Delivery Discipline practitioners and tailoring the coaching to be provided.
- Shapes Discipline related and personal development goals for their group of Creative and Delivery Discipline practitioners, creating and driving action plans forward with them.
- Represents a group of Creative and Delivery Discipline practitioners in talent management practices for the Discipline, including career planning, performance management, coaching and development.
- Encourages Creative and Delivery Discipline practitioners to acquire and grow the skills and capabilities needed for efficient and effective adoption of agile principles and practices.
- Supports the Head of Creative and Delivery Discipline with the allocation of Creative and Delivery Discipline practitioners across the Squads, ensuring that both business needs, and practitioners’ developmental needs are met.
Building and sustaining a community of practitioners
- Promotes the development and elevation of the Creative and Delivery Discipline by managing risks, meeting governance requirements and quality assurance for the Disciplines.
- Drives advocacy in the community for the Creative and Delivery Discipline practitioners, building confidence and instilling a sense of pride and purpose in their job.
- Leads and facilitates interaction and knowledge sharing processes among Creative and Delivery Discipline practitioners across different Tribes and Squads.
Thought leadership, innovation and Discipline/ Craft leadership
- Partners across the Creative and Delivery Discipline to provide thought leadership around related work standards, processes and practices.
- Provides active guidance and expertise, supporting the build out of common tools and competencies for the Creative and Delivery Discipline practitioners.
- Facilitates knowledge sharing, improving interactions and fostering a positive, inclusive culture where everyone feels a sense of belonging and heard within the Discipline.
- Participates in solving complex problems that require relatively higher level of expertise within the Creative and Delivery Discipline, often being assigned to the most complex global initiatives.
Learning agenda and governance
- Provide L&D support to the hub by ensuring local regulatory body/ agency requirements are met and to ensure staff are competent to conduct their roles. This can include ensuring appropriate readiness for audit and compliance reviews as well as advisory for building country alliances and partnerships with local Banking Associations, professional body chapters and educational agencies of the government.
- Be a focal point in building and sustaining People Capability’s brand and communications strategy in situ, ensuring that the global agenda, learning standards and curricula are fully utilised and support global initiatives, such as the Global Learning Week.
- Monitor global programme roll-outs to the hub, taking a workplace skills transfer perspective to understand the actual business impact of global curricula locally.
- Provide quality assurance and challenge to requirements for localisation of global initiatives and curricula, ensuring such requests are properly managed to the relevant Learning Councils and Tribe Leads.
Regulatory & business conduct
- Displays exemplary conduct and lives by the Group’s Values and Code of Conduct.
- Takes personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Leads the team to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank’s Conduct Principles.
- Effectively and collaboratively identifies, escalates, mitigates and resolves risk, conduct and compliance matters.
Key Performance Indicators
- Creative and Delivery practitioner group career development including Squad project variety and performance
- Skills improvement including proficiency level and number of skills e.g. certifications
Our Ideal Candidate
- Learning design and development fundamentals
- Agile project management
- Design prototyping and experimentation
- Data literacy
- Horizon scanning
- Business acumen
- People Capability expertise, knowledge, and experience in Creative and Delivery
- Knowledge and experience in emerging learning solutions incorporating including on-demand platform delivered learning, social, experiential, and virtual / interactive learning
- HR / Talent Data analytics & measurement /business intelligence capability
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages. We welcome conversations on flexible working.