Extendicare is a leading provider of care and services for seniors throughout Canada. Through our network of over 115 senior care and living centres as well as our home health care operations, we are committed to delivering care throughout the health care continuum to meet the needs of a growing seniors’ population in Canada. Our qualified and highly trained workforce of 23,700 team members are united by a dedication to quality care and by our vision of being the best provider of senior care and services in Canada.
Candidates are invited to apply for the above position(s) to work at our Oakview Place location in Winnipeg, MB.
The following positions are available:
Reporting to the Director of Care, Assistant Director of Care, Unit Manager/Coordinator, the LPN will, under the direction of the Director of Care or designate, the Licensed Practical Nurse provides direct care to residents under their care which includes but not limited to: medication administration, provision of treatments, on-going assessments to identify changes in condition, new treatment plans, works in collaboration with the attending physicians/specialists to deliver care as prescribed/ordered and develops interventions based on assessments and discussions, main point of contact with families and residents. This is in keeping with the philosophy and policies of Extendicare. The LPN works in collaboration with others who are providing care to residents to ensure plan of care is adhered to; this includes Health Care Aides, Rehab Aide, Recreation Worker.
- Currently licensed with the Manitoba Association of Licensed Practical Nurses. Possesses sufficient practical experience to satisfactorily perform the responsibilities of the position.
- Knowledgeable in the principles and philosophy of long-term care.
- Ability to read, write and speak English as well as to understand verbal and written instructions in English.
- Mentally and physically able to perform duties as outlined which includes ability to maintain regular attendance.
- Ability to supervise and direct the work of others.
- Demonstrates concern and interest in providing quality care to residents.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and complete assignments in a timely manner.
- Ability to communicate with other staff, residents, families and the public.
- Ability to work in a computerized environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides medication/treatments within guidelines established by Extendicare, CRNM/CRPNM and any other governing body.
- Develops, assess and part of the ongoing review of resident care plans which include activities of daily living, rehabilitative and restorative objectives. Maintains proficiency in use of the MDS/RAI program. Respects residents rights to dignity and privacy and performs duties in a courteous and respectful manner.
- Maintains resident health care health care records and performs charting duties ensuring that records are informative, accurate and current.
- Admits new residents and orientates new staff and their families to aspects of the facility
- Supervises team members within their assignment to ensure care, services are provided as set out in the plan of care in addition to ensuring team members are working within prescribed OH&S practices and policies.
- Schedules/supports resident appointments, arranges for regular visits for the Podiatrist and other visiting professionals. Arranges transportation for residents to appointments. Prepares transfer forms as required.
- Meets regularly with the consulting Pharmacist to review all resident medication profiles and physicians
- Responsible for contacting physician with resident concerns, transcribes physician orders, ensures physician’s telephone orders are co-signed, and regularly reviews treatments with attending physicians during scheduled rounds.
- Ensures arrangements for diagnostic procedures and examinations as ordered by physician.
- Monitors the use and maintenance of supplies and equipment in the Nursing Department. Requisitions supplies and equipment when necessary.
- Keeps informed of applicable legislation related to long term care, and facility policies and procedures. Communicates with staff through regular staff meetings.
- Participates in formal and informal teaching programs for all nursing staff as well as health teaching to residents and families as appropriate.
- Assesses all staff injuries and initiates appropriate action/treatment.
- Promotes effective communication with relatives and other interested individuals as well as communication and cooperation with other departments.
- Performs all duties in accordance with the written policies and procedures of Extendicare, the facility and the Nursing Department.
- Participates in the evaluation of care and/or service provided by the Nursing Department by developing, implementing and evaluating activities under the Quality Assurance Program.
- Performs all duties in a safe and efficient manner and maintains work area in a clean, orderly, and safe condition. Follows manufactures instructions in the operation and use of all equipment and chemicals. Alert to potential health and safety hazards and takes appropriate action. Reports unsafe and hazardous working conditions and any equipment malfunctions to Administration.
- Adheres to “Standards of Employee Conduct,” “Commitment to Residents”, “Bill of Rights”, and “Extendicare Quality Care Standards” and Mission, Vision and Values.
- Works closely and cooperates with other staff and residents. Maintains good working relationships
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
CLOSING DATE: May 31, 2021
Interested applicants may forward their resume in confidence to the attention of: