Manager, GSMA Innovation Fund
Mobile for Development
Central Innovation Fund
Director, GSMA Innovation Fund
About the GSMA
The GSMA represents the interests of mobile operators worldwide, uniting nearly 800 operators with more than 300 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem. Our mission is to further the strategic, commercial, technological, developing world and advocacy interests of our members. The GSMA produces industry-leading events such as Mobile World Congress, Mobile World Congress Shanghai, Mobile World Congress Americas and the Mobile 360 Series conferences.
Every day we work to harness the power of mobile to achieve our industry purpose – Connecting Everyone and Everything to a Better Future – through four main activities:
About the Team
- We provide strategic direction and thought leadership to our members
- We drive collaborative industry programmes aimed at maintaining operator relevance in the digital world
- We advocate for the industry to regulators, policy makers and society as a whole
- We convene the broad mobile communications ecosystem at our industry leading events
The Central Innovation Team is a new team to be set up in early 2020 in order to manage all Innovation Fund activities as part of the next phase of a strategic partnership with DFID, the ‘Partnership for Inclusion, Innovation and Scale’. Leveraging on 10 years of M4D experience running Innovation Funds on a multitude of topics, the team will be responsible for setting up the processes of the new Innovation Fund, and managing all rounds from design to grant completion, in strong collaboration with the relevant M4D programmes, who will provide strategic guidance and expertise on their respective subject matters. The objective is to create a center of excellence that will ensure M4D selects the best projects for funding and supports them in the most relevant manner, while complying with internal processes, and proactively identifying and mitigating risks. The team will initially comprise 10 team members, including 2 Directors, Senior Managers and Managers, mostly internal talents with experience in M4D.
What the hiring manager says
“This is a great opportunity to play a role in delivering all Innovation Fund activities as part of the new phase of our strategic partnership with DFID, with the potential to attract other donors with an appetite to fund innovation directly to also join in. We expect the successful candidate to have demonstrated their ability to manage grants funded projects and in particular innovation funds geared towards helping scale mobile centric innovative solutions with sustainable socio-economic impact across Africa and Asia Pacific”.
Market Engagement Director, Central Innovation Fund
About the Role
As a Market Engagement Manager in the Central Innovation Fund team, you will:
- Manage a portfolio of grant projects from contracting to completion, including tailored technical assistance
- By working with the Senior Market Engagement manager, be responsible for managing and supporting the delivery of projects which support the achievement of the objectives of the programme
- Supports the Senior Market Engagement Managers in key reporting activities including monthly and quarterly Socio-Economic KPI reporting.
- Manages and coordinates regular meetings with grantees and reporting with the independent Innovation Fund Manager.
- Builds relationships with operators across all regions (Africa & Asia especially) in order to identify strategic opportunities to provide support and develop initiatives that align with the programme's core objectives.
- Build and manage other relationships with key regional and local stakeholders, including local incubators/accelerators/tech hubs, government etc.
- Supports grant applicants, due diligence, selection processes, management of Innovation Fund panel for selection of grants and periodic follow-ups.
- Supports projects (including running workshops) which provide hands-on support to selected operators that are willing to serve as innovation partners.
- Works with selected mobile network operators to develop a plan to strengthen their position in the innovation ecosystem.
- Participate in and present at relevant GSMA or external events to disseminate resources and insights, as well as to continue to position the programme in these forums.
- Shares insights with the broader Mobile for Development department, Advocacy and Regional leads, to help build strong positions which can be used to advocate with key stakeholders around the role of MNOs in the innovation ecosystem.
- Contribute towards shaping the overall strategic direction of the Central Innovation Fund, to ensure that GSMA continues to deliver valuable support to its members and other stakeholders and achieves its goal of creating more successful, scalable and sustainable innovative Mobile for Development products and services.
The successful candidate will report into Market Engagement Director.
This is a hands-on role with successful candidates required to be self-motivated and able to work effectively with a dispersed team.
The ideal candidate will display the following qualities:
What We Offer
- A proven track record of managing complex projects, with multiple stakeholders’ engagements, and within predefined budgets and timelines.
- Experience in successfully managing innovation fund grantees across emerging countries.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and a very collaborative approach to working with other teams across the M4D.
- The ability to think creatively of solutions to new challenges or a changing environment.
- Experience dealing with a variety of external stakeholders, in particular the innovation ecosystem players including MNOs.
- A passion for the work we do at M4D and the impact we are having on local societies and economies
- Fluency in English is essential, French is desired
Working at the GSMA offers you unparalleled access to the mobile industry. We offer a chance to truly shape the direction of mobile, whatever your role. By joining the GSMA, you will be exposed to a fast-paced rapidly evolving environment, working on global solutions, genuinely fascinating and industry-changing projects and a stimulating and dynamic environment designed to enable you to flourish.
In addition to architect-designed offices and competitive compensation, our benefits include fantastic learning & development opportunities, generous holiday allowances, four additional days off for professional development and many others.
We offer a working environment that reflects our organisational values. We also hire in line with our values and recruit candidates who demonstrate a strong affinity with these 7 principles:
- DREAM BIG - Demonstrate vision and insight to lead the industry forward
- BE BOLD - Have the courage to take risks and make tough decisions
- OWN IT - Take full accountability for your decisions and actions
- WORK AS A TEAM - Collaborate to deliver impactful results
- DO THE RIGHT THING - Conduct yourself with honesty and integrity at all times
- SHOW RESPECT - Treat others as you would expect to be treated
- LOVE WHAT YOU DO - Bring passion and pride to your work
To learn more about the GSMA, visit our careers site, our LinkedIn page and our Twitter page.