To drive positive legal outcomes for Abbott’s businesses
JOB DESCRIPTION/ CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
The incumbent will carry out a range of functions and tasks in support of the Abbott legal team in India under the direct supervision of Associate Director-Legal. Some of the key responsibilities include -
• Drafting, reviewing and negotiating a wide range of legal contracts with business partners, vendors, service providers, customers etc for different functions of the company including manufacturing and I&D setups.
• Working as a business partner to business verticals with a solution-based approach; taking an active role in formulating legal strategy for the business, in coordination and under guidance of senior team members.
• Working with Regulatory Affairs, Government Affairs, Quality, Medical Affairs, Public Affairs and other functions of the company to address legal and regulatory issues such as queries, complaints, show causes, inquiries and investigations. Engage and attend various regulators to address issues arising out of the business operation.
• Drafting of legal notices, reply to customer complaints, representations and replies for statutory authorities requiring legal advice and assistance.
• Support cross functional team in the organization on various Legal issues
• Closely work with Supervisor and Legal Team in formulating various standard operating procedures, manuals, policy documents and guidance notes to assist business associates conducting their assignments in compliance with the Legal and Regulatory norms.
• Work closely with Office of Ethics and Compliance (OEC) and other stakeholders in implementing ethics and compliance policy of the company.
• Co-ordination with Advocates and Counsels in connection with company litigation. Preparation and review of notice, reply, application, petition and written statements etc. Review progress of on-going cases and provide regular updates to seniors.
• Identify, assess, manage and take necessary steps in coordination with team members to prevent legal risks associated with the changing business and regulatory environment. Anticipate legal support needs of the business and help define and drive the strategic plans of the Business.
• Advisory and documentation support to company’s manufacturing sites
• Advising Marketing, Regulatory and Medical functions on marketing initiatives undertaken for ethical promotion of products and product labelling etc.
• Keep oneself abreast of the applicable legislations and their changes impacting the business and provide training to non-legal stakeholders on legal subjects and updates in laws
• Working and interacting with Abbott global and regional colleagues outside India as required from time to time.
• Performing any other task assigned by the supervisor
SKILL, EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
LL.B./ LL.M. from a reputed university
Post qualification experience of 5 to 8 years
Work experience on pharmaceutical / healthcare/ food laws would be preferred
Work experience in a reputed law firm for couple of years is desirable
Good academic background is required
Proficiency in English (both written & verbal) as well as excellent communication skills are a must
KEY COMPETENCIES REQUIREMENTS:
Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Global mindset and a strong sense of integrity, with the ability to establish trust-based relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; takes personal responsibility for his/her own
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning and Organizing
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently. Ability to manage numerous matters and competing priorities and to work within a matrix set up.
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Has very good research, evaluative and analytical skills. Is able to analyse expeditiously extensive substantive and legal documentation, legal drafts, opinions and laws, and prepare comprehensive reports, summaries and policy briefs. Possesses excellent legal skills including drafting, negotiation, and advisory skills.