At BWXT Nuclear Energy Canada Inc. we are committed to excellence in every business initiative. BWXT Nuclear Energy Canada (BWXT NEC) has achieved an enviable international reputation for excellence in the supply of nuclear fuel and fuel handling systems and service for CANDU reactors in both domestic and international markets. Our success is the result of our commitment to our employees, customers, quality & EHS initiatives.
MECHANICAL ENGINEER (Intermediate/Senior) 6 Month Contract
We are recruiting for a Mechanical Engineer (Intermediate/Senior) for our Peterborough, ON location.
BWXT Nuclear Energy Canada is involved in the design, manufacture, development, testing and service of on-power refueling and reactor maintenance tooling sold around the world. Today, BWXT’s equipment is being used in most of the nuclear power plants in Canada. Check out the YouTube video of an innovative product we recently designed and manufactured in partnership with Bruce Power, called the Bruce Reactor Inspection and Maintenance System Channel Access Device. Go to YouTube and search for video: “Bruce Unveils new BRIMS Tool”. There are exceptional opportunities to learn and grow with a career in the nuclear industry in Ontario.
The Peterborough community invites you to take a deep breath, relax and enjoy life. We have an abundance of recreational opportunities, festivals, and entertainment that is fueled by culture, nature and homegrown culinary experiences. Friendly people, inspiring landscapes, rich forest tracts, and incredible lakes are waiting for you in the heart of cottage country. The region is home to 140,000 people (approx. 83,000 in the City of Peterborough) in addition to the charming towns, townships and villages that make up the County. We offer the best of all worlds here and we’d like you to get to know us a bit better.
At BWXT NEC, you will work on technically challenging projects as a member of the Fuel Handling mechanical engineering team. You will be responsible for the design of mechanical equipment and systems for CANDU reactors. Projects will involve you in the design, development and test of mechanical equipment for automated and semi-automated fuelling machines, robotic systems, and maintenance tooling for CANDU reactors and related systems. There is also opportunity to work on site assignment at one of the nuclear power plants in Ontario.
· Provide execution of design/analysis/test/commissioning of complex equipment and systems throughout the entire product life cycle.
· Preparation or approval of design documentation, technical specifications, applicable codes & standards, development and test plans, and engineering quotations.
· 3D modelling for purposes of concepting and performing stress analysis.
· Application of design for manufacturability/assembly (DFMA) techniques.
· Ensure designs comply with applicable company, technical, and regulatory standards.
· Provide technical support to CAD, Procurement, Manufacturing, Test, Quality, and Commissioning and Service personnel.
· Participate on teams assigned to address specific organizational initiatives and continuous improvement efforts.
· Adhere to on-time/on-budget criteria associated with project commitments and customer success.
· Prepare and present technical data to internal and external customers.
· Provide technical support to Sales and Marketing personnel in the pursuit of new business opportunities.
· Bachelor of Engineering degree in Mechanical, Mechatronics or Aerospace discipline.
· Minimum 8-10 years experience in mechanical engineering practice in a manufacturing environment with modern technology. Strong preference given to relevant Nuclear Industry experience particularly related to machine, mechanism and tooling design.
· Flexibility to work remotely on short-term customer site assignment.
· PEO certified Professional Engineer, or in process of obtaining same.
· Knowledge of machine design for oil & gas, mining or power generation industries.
· Knowledge in the application of ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code (Section III and VIII), ASME B31.1, B31.3, CSA N285.0, CSA B51.
· Knowledge of the jurisdictional processes for pressure vessels (TSSA, CNSC).
· Experience with Six Sigma and Lean tools.
· Project management and controls training or exposure to same.
· Experience with Autodesk Inventor and ANSYS.
We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
BWXT Nuclear Energy Canada Inc. embraces diversity of thought, values individuality, encourages new perspectives and provides equal opportunity in employment for all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, disability, a conviction for which a pardon has been granted or a record suspended or any other category protected by federal law.