Requisition ID: req9963
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Hagadera, Kenya
Under the supervision of the medial officer in charge, the Medical Officer will offer quality health care to all patients in the hospital and work closely with other staff in all departments providing support and guidance.
- In coordination with the Health Manager, formulate program goals, objectives and intervention strategies and participate in the budgeting process
- Ensure that all health activities are implemented as outlined in the project documents
- Review the program activities and priorities on a regular basis updating the Health manager on gaps and/or provide recommendations on how to improve quality of services.
- Be a team leader in patient management in all hospital departments, giving support and guidance.
- Manage the Health Program in acting capacity when the Medical officer in charge/Health manager is not in office
- Provide technical and administration work guidelines that are within the IRC policy
- Conduct daily ward rounds in the hospital
- Ensure patient management is in line with the set MOH, WHO and UNHCR guidelines and protocols
- Attend to all emergencies, both medical and surgical within 15 minutes.
- Ensure proper and accurate documentation of patient management in patient files
- Conduct all elective and emergency surgical cases in theatre, both surgical and obstetric/gynecological.
- Conduct special outpatient clinics in the hospital on the allocated days every week i.e. SOPC, GOPC, HRC, HOPC, DOPC, and MOPC.
- Attend to all medical legal cases, including filling of P3 forms and attend court sessions as required
- Attend to sexual assault survivors on a timely basis in the GBV Support Centre
- Ensure timely referrals both Emergency and Elective cases to secondary and tertiary care centers
- Attend and participate in weekly Continuous Medical Education (CME) sessions at the hospital.
- Attend and participate in the daily morning hospital handover meetings
- Ensure adequate night coverage by developing a call list on a weekly basis with other Medical Officers
- Lead in mortality audits to improve quality of care for patients.
- Participate in the Quality of Care Assessments done on a quarterly basis
Reporting and Coordination
- Attend inter-agency coordination meetings and case conferences as requested by the Health manager.
- Assist in preparing donor reports as requested by the HM.
- Monitor closely the morbidity and mortality trends together with all the other health indicators to ensure that prompt actions are taken.
Carry out other relevant duties as may be required or assigned by your supervisor
Key Result Areas
- Ensure quality of care in the hospital
- Ensure quality emergency obstetric and neonatal care in maternity ward
- Prompt referral of patients
- Proper documentation of patient care
- Identification and prompt management of outbreaks
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery from a recognized institution (MBChB)
- Registered with Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentist Board
- Minimum 2 years of working experience in a busy hospital setting
Required Experience & Competencies
- Good knowledge and skills in clinical medicine and surgery
- Ability to write clear, concise reports and well developed communication skills
- Good computer skills (Complete MS Office package and any database management and analysis)
- Must be a team player, flexible and culturally sensitive
- Ready to work in difficult environmental conditions
- Ability to accept the possibility of insecurity in the project areas and obey security rules and standard operating procedures.