Over 2 million! That’s the number of people worldwide who currently rely on dialysis or kidney transplant to survive. This number may represent less than 10% of the actual number requiring treatment for kidney related illnesses.
Novartis is committed to cutting-edge translational research to discover and develop new therapeutics for patients with acute and chronic kidney disease. The Nephrology research group currently explores primary glomerular diseases, gene therapies for monogenic kidney diseases, and new approaches to treat polycystic kidney disease.
As the Nephrology Therapeutic Area Head for Disease Area X (DAx), you will contribute to NIBR’s mission to advance the “new science of therapeutics” through innovation in therapeutic target and lead discovery, and enabling clinical progression of new therapeutic opportunities for kidney indications. You will lead a team of interdisciplinary scientists in Basel (Switzerland) and Cambridge MA (USA) tasked with
1. driving innovation and the discovery of novel targets and therapeutic leads in kidney disease
2. preclinical to clinical progression of innovative therapeutic leads in kidney disease
3. coordination of cross-functional, cross-site kidney disease activities and catalyze cross-DA/FA collaboration around translational research, drug discovery, and early clinical development.
Your key responsibilities:
• Lead a matrixed research group of 11 scientists (3 PhD direct reports who have 8 scientists reporting to them), and indirect reporting scientific collaborators (~30 scientists), to drive innovation in therapeutic target and lead discovery.
• Collaborate with Translational Medicine colleagues to define new clinical opportunities in kidney disease and recommends potential drug candidates for evaluation in those new indications
• Scientific partner to business development colleagues to evaluate external biotech and academic collaborations, to advance science, drug discovery and translational research
• Responsible for portfolio maturation and collaboration with the Portfolio Strategy Director to drive strategic planning, resourcing, and budget management
• Coordinate the Nephrology Strategic Working Group, an internal scientific advisory board including Novartis specialists in renal diseases, drug hunting, and clinical development
• Member of the DAx leadership team, helping to define the strategic direction of DAx; representing DAx in reviews, internal and external meetings
• Responsible for team development and talent management, fostering cross-functional collaborations and synergies to increase team work and time to impact
Your Key Performance Indicators will be innovation in target and therapeutic leads; preclinical to clinical progression of novel therapeutic leads, and advance in matrix science