The Network Activation Engineer provides service activation, troubleshooting, and escalation support for advanced telecom and network related issues.
Note – this NAE position’s primary responsibility will be focused on one specific customer. This customer requires a flexible schedule with activities spanning six time zones. There will be occasions when the NAE will need to come in early or stay late.
- Primary activity involves activating new Masergy services for our customers
- Perform router activations for new and existing customers
- Perform firewall activations for new and existing customers
- Perform circuit activations for new and existing customers
- Activate new Masergy cloud services (VPRN, VPLS, IES, etc.)
- Configure routers, firewalls, and NIDs using standard and non-standard templates
- Conduct RFC tests on new circuits; test, turn up, and troubleshooting T1, E1, DS3, OC3, OC12 and high capacity Ethernet circuits
- Perform routine circuit testing and acceptance in accordance with written standards
Periodically, our customers need services activated when we have no available NAE. To accommodate these requests the on-call NAE will be utilized to activate services. These request can be after normal business hours, on the weekend, and occasionally on holidays. The on-call rotation last for one week and begins Monday at midnight CST. The on-call engineer will be provided additional compensation once they have completed their on-call shift. The on-call shifts are reported to the HR department once every two weeks.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner
- Escalation – If unable to resolve issues in a timely manner, will escalate to senior level engineering and/or management
- Customer Service – Work to ensure a positive activation experience; our goal is error free activations
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university and three to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working in LAN/WAN implementation or support role (Implementation/troubleshooting responsibilities include routers, switches, firewalls, and NIDs)
- Advanced level knowledge of TCP/IP and UDP
- Advanced level knowledge of routing protocols such as BGP, iBGP, and OSPF
- Hands-on experience with Alcatel (Nokia) ESR, Cisco routers and switches, Fortinet firewalls, Overture and Adva NIDs, Silver Peak SD WAN, & Riverbed WAN optimization
- Working knowledge of NAT, VRRP/HSRP, session-based firewalls, QOS, Layer 2 VPLS, and MPLS network principles
- Working knowledge of Linux operating system
- Working knowledge of SD WAN concepts
- Ability to script/program in PERL, Python, or Linux scripting highly desirable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Communicates clearly and in an understandable manor with a wide range of people such as peers, managers, customers, vendors, distributors and the general public. Projects good customer relations skills in both face to face and telephone contact
- Demonstrated ability to effectively advise and counsel both managers and non-supervisory employees on sensitive work related issues
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills, and the ability to organize and prioritize several projects and tasks at one time
- Ability to work an on-call rotation including after-hours and weekends on a recurring schedule
- Familiarity with customer’s environment, process, and procedures is preferred.