Since 1941, the USO has been the nation’s leading organization to serve the men and women in the U.S. military, and their families, throughout their time in uniform. From the moment they join, through their assignments and deployments, and as they transition back to their communities, the USO is always by their side.
Today’s USO continuously adapts to the needs of our men and women in uniform and their families, so they can focus on their very important mission. We operate USO centers at or near military installations across the United States and throughout the world, including in combat zones, and even un-staffed USO service sites in places too dangerous for anyone but combat troops to occupy.
The Center Operations Specialist is responsible for maintaining a warm, friendly, inviting environment for troops as well as assisting with the day-to-day activities of a USO Center during an assigned shift.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (*Essential Duties)
- Meet, greet, welcome and assist visiting guests. Orient and assist guests with center amenities and programs and services.*
- Monitor and maintain readiness, availability, and cleanliness of activity and lounge areas (i.e. check-in area, coffee/snack stations, computer stations, media/gaming rooms, kitchen/café areas, pavilions/patios and outdoor areas, rest rooms, offices, storage rooms, etc.).*
- Monitor and maintain operability for all facilities and equipment (i.e. coffee makers, popcorn machines, telephones, computers, Wi-Fi accessibility, gaming consoles, etc.).* Monitor supply inventory and replenish stock.*
- Supervise volunteers during assigned shift, ensuring that quality customer service and support is provided in a manner consistent with service delivery standards, as well as USO Policies, Procedures and Core Values.*
- Process cash or credit card sales, balancing money and credit charges at the beginning and end of the assigned shift. Maintain customer profile records in Daily Cash Receipts Log.*
- Assist in the planning, coordination, and successful execution of center programs; become fully proficient in the utilization of SPARTAN for planning and reporting programs and center foot traffic.*
- As directed by Center Manager and/or Regional Leadership, assume responsibility for center operations as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent. Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- 0-3 years of work experience in retail, customer service, recreation facility, or related role. Relevant experience in a not-for-profit, military, multicultural, and/or global organization preferred.
- Proficiency with social medial platforms to include Facebook and Instagram
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. including carrying up a flight of stairs
- Demonstrated proficiency in written and oral communications as well as knowledge of various software programs including but not limited to Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Fluency in English with the ability to speak, read, and write in the language of the host and neighboring countries preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills. Ability to interact with USO Leadership, the general public and military audiences at a variety of levels with integrity and professionalism.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment related to controversial and/or culturally sensitive subjects. Ability to handle confidential information with tact and poise.
- Must be punctual, organized and self-motivated, with the ability to quickly and easily adapt to changing organizational needs.
- Ability to achieve desired results while working collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to perform basic math and follow proper cash/donation handling and reporting procedures.
- Ability to obtain and maintain proper credentials necessary to access USO Center locations and facilities including but not limited to security, credit and/or background screening, SOFA status, valid driver’s license.
- Must be a strong advocate of the USO’s mission to lift the spirits of America’s troops and their families.
- This position is located in Wiesbaden, Germany. Preference will be given to local candidates within commuting distance to the location. Resume and cover letter are required for full consideration.
- This USO SOFA status position, in Germany, is available to U.S. Citizens only that are not normal residents of Germany or NATO family members who have immigration visa and SSN, and meet specific conditions.