To carry out a range of ecological consultancy services which will include:
· Primary responsibility for leading and directing on the management and co-ordination of multiple road infrastructure projects; managing a number of teams on the delivery of constraints stage through to Ecological Impact Assessment (EcIA) and Appropriate Assessment (AA, NIS, NIR) reports.
· Leading and directing on the design, commissioning and scheduling of multi-disciplinary and specialist ecological surveys for sites around the island of Ireland (including habitat and multi-disciplinary surveys, birds, mammals including bats, invertebrate and others), as well as personally carrying out multi-disciplinary and specialist ecological surveys as necessary.
· Co-ordinating, supervising and managing other ecologists’ (in-house staff and external sub-contractors) work to ensure safe and efficient delivery of work on time and within budget. The role will require managing work schedules/resourcing, providing assistance, guidance and technical review of other team members’ work and providing on the job training and feedback to other staff.
· Working closely with other members of staff and multi-disciplinary design teams to provide appropriate ecological design solutions and advice. This will require dealing with project team members (engineers, architects, planners, environmental consultants, hydrologists, archaeologists, landscape architects etc.) and interacting with environmental, planning and development-related issues including those outside of the field of ecology.
· Lead on provision of expert ecological advice and recommendations to clients in particular where risks may be posed to a project timescale or delivery, including verbal, written and face-to-face contact.
· Providing expert witness at Oral Hearings
· Liaising with clients, project managers and other project stakeholders including statutory bodies.
· Line managing staff, carrying out performance reviews and monitoring performance and targets.
· Maintaining up to date knowledge of industry changes, best practice, guidelines, legislation and policy, and providing leadership on same to other staff members.
· Supporting the Sales Team in preparing fee proposals and tenders.
· Project financial management including meeting targets and monitoring of profitability for individual projects.
· Working as part of a team promoting the business and maintaining the company’s reputation and standards.
· Reporting regularly to Directors on significant issues arising.
Candidates must possess:
· 8-10 years experience in ecological consultancy
· Membership of Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (and if not already a full member, eligibility for upgrade to full membership)
· An honours degree in ecology or a related discipline
· Experience working on road infrastructure projects
· Experienced in the oral hearing process and in the role of expert witness
· Excellent technical report writing skills, including proven track record in writing reports for EcIA and AA
· Excellent working knowledge of Irish and EU wildlife and planning legislation
· Excellent working knowledge of habitat and species survey design and implementation to relevant industry best practice guidelines
· Excellent working knowledge of impact assessment and mitigation practices for large development types, in particular road infrastructure, and for European and Irish protected species
· A proven track record in implementing/management of EcIA and AA for large projects
· Excellent problem solving skills and initiative
· Ability to critically review others work to ensure quality and accuracy of technical information
· Excellent written and spoken English and a proven track record in excellent communication
· Experience managing staff
· A passion for ecology, a scientific approach to work and attention to detail
· Ability to work well in a busy environment unsupervised and using own initiative
· Ability to take instruction and willingness to learn new skills
· Flexible friendly attitude and willingness to adapt to the changing needs of a growing business
· Commitment to a high level of client care and service delivery; and
· Commercial awareness of the ecological consultancy market.