Sr/Principal Geotechnical Engineer - Mining/Tailings - MAR0098
Company : Worley
Primary Location : CAN-ON-Markham
Job : Geosciences
Schedule : Full-time
Employment Type : Employee
Job Level : Experienced
Job Posting : Oct 31, 2020
Unposting Date : Ongoing
Reporting Manager Title : Principal Geotechnical Engineer
Advisian is the specialist consulting business line of WorleyParsons providing solutions for clients in the Hydrocarbons, Mining, Minerals & Metals, Chemicals and Infrastructure industries. As part of one of the world’s largest engineering firms, we continue to push boundaries and extend our capabilities globally. Worley is a company that prides itself on providing safe and high-quality services that exceed our customer’s expectations, which is why we manage some of the world's leading projects. Our aim is to recruit, develop, and most importantly, retain the people who share our vision and strategy.
The Sr/Principal Geotechnical Engineer - Mining/Tailings opening is a full-time position based out of Markham, ON, within Advisian’s Geoscience Practice, focussed on the national and international mining sector .
The Geoscience Practice in our Americas region comprises 100+ engineering, geology and geoscience professionals with a broad range of technical skills and experience. Currently these professionals are engaged on many challenging technical projects.
Our Geotechnical Engineering Group seeks someone with strong technical, communication skills, business development with work winning mentality and team leadership skills, who is eager to work with a group of dynamic individuals and contribute to the growth of our practice.
Overall Responsibilities and Key Accountabilities:
- Promote a culture of zero harm within the business.
- Support the development and implementation of geoscience strategies that are consistent with the divisional and regional Geoscience Service Line plans.
- Developing business, winning work and providing support to large bid teams, including presentations, negotiations, proposal preparation including, developing and reviewing engineering cost estimates an schedules.
- Providing geotechnical engineering knowledge on mining projects and pursuits, including tailings strategies, mining dam safety, mine infrastructure, geological site reconnaissance, geotechnical site characterization (including overburden drilling and rock coring), geotechnical analysis (including slope stability, seepage, dynamic responses, dam stability, etc.), advanced geotechnical laboratory analysis, geotechnical engineering design, seismic and liquefaction assessment, geotechnical owner’s engineering and geotechnical Q A/QC inspection, testing and reporting.
- Team leadership including mentoring and coaching to junior staff and identify relevant career development opportunities, and in collaboration with Geoscience Leads ensure staffing levels are adequate for project needs.
- Ensure that Geoscience team members follow corporate and Service Line safety, quality, business development, engineering, etc. procedures and processes.
- Support growth of the Geoscience Service Line in accordance with your KPI’s and consistent with strategies and plans.
- Monitor project execution with respect to the discipline technical and quality standards, for those projects you are engaged in.
- Attend and lead client meetings, and deliver client and industry facing project overviews and presentations.
- Work as part of an integrated delivery team within our project, comprising of other engineering disciplines, professional environmental scientists, project delivery and project support staff on existing and new Advisian/WorleyParsons projects.
- Prepare industry and client intelligence reports and forecasts and present to Geoscience Service Line management as required.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree from an accredited institution plus appropriate continuing education in geotechnical engineering, or equivalent.
- Registered as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with PEO (or transferable from other provinces / territories).
- A minimum of 8-15 years of related experience practicing geotechnical engineering in the mining and tailings arena, including dams, mining geotechnique and mining infrastructure, from pre-feasibility studies through detailed design to construction.
- Proven track record of developing business, winning work and providing support to large bid teams, preparing proposals and developing engineering and capital cost estimates.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in multi-discipline teams in fast paced environment.
- Demonstrated history of effective client engagement, relationships and management.
- Ability to present technical information, both written and verbally, in a concise and professional manner.
- A demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, excellent verbal and written communication skills in English with excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Self-starter, flexible team leader, willing and able to work on a wide variety of tasks and to coordinate staff, previous successful experience in a team leadership role is an asset.
- D emonstrated capability to conduct and supervise geotechnical engineering through field investigations to design, and train, mentor and develop junior and intermediate staff.
- Working knowledge of industry standard business support systems, i.e. project planning packages, cost manage ment systems, ISO9001 quality management systems is considered an asset.
Advisian (part of the Worley Group) offers an excellent remuneration & benefits package, a friendly, professional, dynamic and flexible work environment along with the opportunity to develop your career prospects within North America and overseas.
We strive to be an industry leader in health, safety and environmental performance. Our vision is to achieve zero harm to people and assets, and zero environmental incidents. We select people who share our values, beliefs and commitment to this vision and who demonstrate the expected behaviors, competencies and performance associated with their prospective roles within the company.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Advisian is an equal opportunity employer.