The South China Morning Post’s Asia desk is looking for a self-motivated and experienced copyeditor to uphold the quality of daily online stories and longer reads published in our This Week in Asia magazine.
This position requires someone with exemplary editing skills who is able to work quickly under pressure, and has experience working with journalists from across Asia.
- Rewriting stories to improve narrative structure and flow, with sensitivity to the author's voice; adding in relevant context and background
- Editing, fact-checking and ensuring copy is free from errors and meets world-class newsroom standards
- Crafting top quality Search Engine Optimised headlines, index headlines, summaries and photo/graphics captions
- Guiding less experienced writers on sharpening story angles as requested by the news editor
- Proofreading text of multimedia content and compiling newsletters
- Monitoring wire services when needed
- Minimum of 4 years editing experience in a real-time online news operation or wire service
- Solid news judgement, a familiarity with Asia news and a keen ability to get to the heart of a story quickly and clearly, highlighting the stakes for a global audience
- Can-do attitude with excellent English skills and zero tolerance for errors
- Journalism experience would be ideal; Chinese language skills are a big plus though not essential
- Able to adapt to flexible work timings, including working during weekends and public holidays
Work location will be at Causeway Bay office.
Our Privacy Notice aims to comply with all relevant data privacy and protection laws. You should read the Privacy Notice in full at corp.scmp.com/privacy-policy. You may consider your application unsuccessful if you do not hear from us within 6 weeks.