Responsible for all aspects of the program, including the administration, planning, continuous review, development, and general effectiveness of the program as well as all duties as defined for full-time faculty. Responsibilities also include meeting and maintaining program accreditation requirements, systematic review of program effectiveness among didactic, laboratory, and clinical components, student recruitment, committee assignments and serving as a liaison with health care facilities.Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Plans, administers, manages, and evaluates the Respiratory Care Program and course offerings, in a teaching and learning environment that utilizes digital solutions for courses, textbooks, learning labs, on-line tutoring, and other learning support services.
• Provides leadership and vision for the creation and implementation of a strategic plan for the Respiratory Care Program.
• Develops and implements program changes and courses in response to the needs of the community.
• Functions as the instructional leader for the Respiratory Care Program in the development, assessment, and revision of curricula, program outcomes, and student learning outcomes in collaboration with faculty.
• Interacts with community groups, local school districts and business and industry regarding their specific training needs.
• Assists in the development and the writing of proposals.
• Provides recommendations to the Dean of Health Professions for the employment, assignment, evaluation and professional development of all full-time and adjunct Respiratory Care Program faculty.
• Verifies and approves Respiratory Care Program faculty credentials in collaboration with the Dean of Health Professions.
• Participates in faculty and committee activities.
• Reviews, maintains and evaluates the Respiratory Care Program budget and directs appropriation of funds and expenditures relating to the program and courses.
• Develops, implements, monitors and revises Respiratory Care Program policies and procedures in collaboration with the Dean of Health Care, Career and Technical Education.
• Leads the process for systematic Respiratory Care Program review and evaluation as per the model adopted by the College.
• Develops and maintains positive partnerships with the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB), the Texas Workforce Commission, local workforce boards, local economic development agencies, program advisory committees, business and industry, school districts, and other governmental, community, business and educational institutions of the College’s service area to ensure the needs of the area businesses, credit, and non-credit students are met.
• Develops marketing and promotional strategies for the Respiratory Care Program and courses.
• Works with the dean, faculty, and staff to resolve student issues and complaints in compliance with College policies and procedures.
• Serves as a liaison or representative on instruction-related committees on behalf of the Vice President and the Dean of Health Professions, as needed.
• Attends the workplace regularly, reports to work punctually and follows a work schedule to keep up with the demands of the worksite (which may be on campus or at an off-site location).
• Working hours may include evenings, holidays or weekends depending on deadline requirements and special events.
• Uses interpersonal skills and makes sound judgments to decide how duties and responsibilities are completed between coworkers, the supervisory chain, faculty, staff, students, and customers.
• Completes all required training and professional development sessions sponsored by Texas Southmost College (TSC).
• Supports the values and institutional goals as defined in the College’s Strategic Plan.
• Completes duties and responsibilities in compliance with college standards, policies and guidelines.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
• A strong commitment to the mission of the community college.
• Demonstrated ability to teach.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the Respiratory Care Program curriculum and program development and evaluation, as well as needs assessment and marketing of the program.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the planning, implementation and monitoring of program budget in an educational environment.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the rules, regulations and principles of the THECB, Workforce Education Course Manual, and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
• Demonstrated knowledge in the administration and development of the Respiratory Care Program designed to meet the needs of health care organizations and entrepreneurial activities and programs designed to meet the needs of adults and the business community.
• Demonstrated excellent supervisory, administrative, communication, interpersonal and leadership skills.
• Demonstrated knowledge in organizing, developing and implementing operational systems and writing guidelines in an educational setting and managing a high volume workflow office.
• Demonstrated knowledge in the use of technology in, and a willingness to continuously enhance through the use of technology, the teaching and learning process.
• Ability to collaborate with various educational, business, and/or government groups.
• Demonstrated organizational skills in handling and directing multiple and complex assignments and projects.
• Skill in working effectively in a team environment with a customer service focus.
• Ability to establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships with students, college employees and the public.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions; and effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
• Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
• Proficiency with use of e-mail, word processing, spreadsheet, database, and presentation software and use of the Internet.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the education and experience required.
• Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
• Minimum of four (4) years of experience as a registered respiratory therapist which includes two (2) years experience in clinical respiratory care; and a minimum of two (2) years teaching in an accredited respiratory care program either as an appointed faculty member or as a clinical preceptor.
• In-depth understanding of planning, program development, evaluation, and budgeting.
• Master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
•Teaching and administrative experience in a comprehensive community college setting.
• Employment experience in business and industry.
• A valid Registered Respiratory Therapy (RRT) credential is required.
• Licensed as a Respiratory Care Practitioner in the State of Texas is required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand. The employee is occasionally required to walk; sit; use hands and fingers to handle objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.Work Environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The duties listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Please see Special Instructions for more details.
*Transcripts (unofficial) are required to be attached to applications for all positions with an educational requirement (Faculty/Staff/Administrative).
*Your application is not considered complete until all required documents have been attached.
*Attachments must be in PDF or Microsoft Word format and must be no larger than 2 MB.
*You will not be able to attach documents after your application has been submitted.
Please note: Official transcripts are only required if recommended for hire.
Official transcripts shall be sent directly from the issuing institution to the College District’s Office of Human Resources and must include documentation of all credit earned, including the education requirements that specifically qualifies the applicant for the position. The address to send all transcripts is:
Texas Southmost College
Office of Human Resources
80 Fort Brown, Tandy 105
Brownsville, Texas 78520
For eTranscripts please use email address: email@example.com.
The College District recognizes equivalent credits and degrees earned from foreign universities. The equivalency shall be determined by translation and evaluation from a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). For more information please visit: [...]
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).