Posting Date: Apr 13, 2021
Primary Location: Americas-Canada-Quebec-Montreal
Job: Production Management and Operational Support
- To work with some of the best professionals in the business - for a firm that values individual intellect as much as teamwork
- State-of-the-art offices that are designed to maximize collaboration
- Flexible working arrangements
- Enriching challenges that provide opportunity for constant learning and advancement
- An environment which is leveraging technology to its highest potential
Enterprise Technology & Services (ETS) delivers shared technology services for the Firm supporting all business applications and end users. ETS provides capabilities for all stages of the Firm’s software development lifecycle, enabling productive coding, functional and integration testing, application releases, and ongoing monitoring and support for over 3,000 production applications.
ETS also delivers all workplace technologies (desktop, mobile, voice, video, productivity, intranet/internet) in integrated configurations that boost the personal productivity of our employees. Application and end user services are delivered on a scalable, secure, and reliable infrastructure composed of seamlessly integrated datacenter, network, compute, cloud, storage, and database services.
This role is within the Dynamic Languages team at Morgan Stanley. We are a small, highly skilled team of Python developers whose role is develop and maintain the firm’s proprietary Python modules, set technical direction for Python and collaborate with Python developers in other areas, particularly Machine Learning, to encourage best practices. The team is currently led out of London and this role is part of a build out of the team in Montreal.
Python is one of the most widely used languages at Morgan Stanley, with users in business and quant teams as well as core technology. A large number of critical systems depend heavily on proprietary modules and developers working on these modules require attention to detail as well as experience with modern testing techniques and tools. The firm’s technology platform is undergoing major changes, with the increased adoption of open source libraries, a move to cloud and the widespread adoption of Python across many areas of technology and business.
This role provides a number of opportunities:
- Developing and supporting systems for automated onboarding of Python packages
- Working with our machine learning, numerical analysis, data teams and other users to provide the Python infrastructure, build environment and tooling.
- Maintaining and modernizing core proprietary libraries.
With the continued growth in the number and range of applications using Python this role provides opportunities to gain experience on a broad range of problem areas.
The Dynamic Languages team is part of Enterprise Application Infrastructure (EAI). EAI is responsible for the Python platform at Morgan Stanley, as well as its equivalents in C++, .Net, Java, etc. In addition to the core libraries and frameworks used by developers across Morgan Stanley, EAI also provide technical expertise in all aspects of computing in the form of design advice, performance tuning and hands-on engagements with development teams. This provides a unique insight into how Python, and other languages, are used in large-scale enterprise solutions and the types of problems that occur with deployments of this size. The role requires a developer with strong design skills, strong CS fundamentals, deep knowledge of Python as well as a curiosity about what is happening “under the hood” - how, why and what if are questions that we answer on a daily basis.
The successful candidate should have a passion for technology and an interest in challenging themselves. The required skills are:
- At least 3 years of experience
- Deep knowledge of Python, including internals
- Solid understanding of data-structures, algorithms and other CS fundamentals.
- Strong unix skills, including makefiles
- Natural inclination to dig beneath the surface to understand how things work, why they are a certain way and what the design trade-offs are.
It is a technology-focused role and there is no requirement for business knowledge.
Nice to have:
- Some knowledge of or experience with C/C++
- Windows development (nmake/vc)
Morgan Stanley is a global financial services firm and a market leader in investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. At Morgan Stanley Montreal, we are shaping the future of our global business and contributing to our local community. Our team works across numerous areas.
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
Knowledge of French and English is required.
Spotlight on our Montreal Technology Centre: [...] dated October 2019.
Build a career with impact. Visit morganstanley.com for more information.