Performs assigned activities within the country that lead to start-up of investigative sites in all phases of clinical trials. Responsible for providing delivery and expertise, with minimal oversight from the SSU Country Manager in one or more of the following functional areas: investigator site contracts, ethics and regulatory submissions, and review and finalization of essential documents required for site initiation. Accountable local activities are undertaken in accordance with agreed timelines, allocated budgets, and required quality standards. Ensures an efficient start-up process on assigned studies. May act as main contact with Regulatory Authorities (RA) and Central/Regional Ethics Committees (ECs). Under the direction of the Project Lead (PL) or SSUL as appropriate, may directly interact with Customers when receive requirements from RA or other local regulatory party. Accountable to the PL/SSUL at the project level and line manager for deliverables. May act as the Country Start-Up Advisor (CSA) or as a line manager / mentor for less experienced staff. At a project level, may act as SSUL for local or regional
- General – Responsible for quality deliverables at the country level; follows project requirements and applicable country rules, with minimal oversight from the SSU Country Manager. Forecasts submission/approval timelines, ensures compliance and tracks milestone progress in agreed upon SSU tracking system in real time; if forecasted timelines are not reached analyses data to provide clear rationale for delays, provides contingency plans to mitigate impact, and escalates the issue as soon as identified. Monitors financial aspects of the project and the number of hours/tasks available per contract; escalates discrepancies in a timely fashion. Reviews and complies with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Work Instructions (WI) in a timely manner, keeps training records updated accordingly and ensures timesheet compliance. Ensures all relevant documents are submitted to the Trial Master File (TMF) as per company SOP/Sponsor requirements. Ensures continuous improvement of quality in all Site Start-Up (SSU) components at the country level where assigned (submissions, essential document collection, communication to Competent Authorities and ECs, etc.). May be involved in vendor management.
Responsible for one or more of the following functions at the country level:
- Local Submissions Specialist - Follows the project direction and expertise provided by the designated country start-up advisor (CSA) and PM/SSUL. May serve as the primary point of contact for the PM/SSUL (or designee) during start-up on allocated projects. Compiles and/or reviews essential document packages for site activation and may also be involved in essential document collection from site. Prepares and submits Central EC Applications, Local EC Applications, RA Applications, and other local regulatory authorities or hospital approval submissions as required.
- Oversees ongoing submissions, amendments, and periodic notifications required by central and local EC and RA, and other local regulatory authorities as needed within the country; includes safety notifications as required by local rules, with minimal oversight from the SSU Country Manager.
- Country Start-Up Advisor - Acts as Subject Matter Expert for in-country performance within the Site Start-Up. Acts as country-level intelligence on start-up (SU) and clinical trial regulatory (CTR). Ensures that local country regulatory intelligence, as it pertains to the activities of the local SU and CTR team, is maintained on the central repository, e.g., Competent Authority submissions, EC submissions, notifications to data protection authorities, notifications/applications to any other local/federal/national body, and import/export license applications where these are obtained with RA applications. In absence of legal advisor or subject matter advisor for data protection at the country, provides clear data protection guidance at a country level on data protection statements that need to be included on those documents which the Sponsor has contracted to the Company start-up group to adapt to local requirements. This will typically include the Principal Investigator/Informed Consent and the Confidential Disclosure Agreement/contract template. Provides input in local SOPs and WI. Support for the creation of internal training materials on for local legislation requirements. Responsible to identify solutions with EC or CA issue resolution at the country level.
ensure that the appropriate sites are selected for individual studies based on the requirements of
the clinical trial.
- Local Investigator Contract and Budget Negotiator - Produces site-specific contracts from country clinical trial agreement (CTA) template. Reviews and owns site-specific contracts from country template. Submits proposed CTA and investigator budget for site review. Negotiates budget and contract with site and via Site Contracts Service Centre and SSUL with Sponsor until resolution of issues. Performs quality control and arranges execution of CTAs as well as archival of documents into repositories and capture of metadata.
- Line management / mentoring responsibilities – As part of developmental plans, it may be requested to provide support to management in activities such as interviewing and selection, professional development, performance management, and employee counseling and separations. Advises junior team members on administrative policies and procedures, technical problems, priorities and methods.
- Ensure all relevant documents are submitted to the Trial Master File (TMF) as per Company SOP/Sponsor requirements.