Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive
The Senior Data Engineer is a technical leader who drives data engineering strategies and delivery across a team. You will lead solution envisaging, technical designs, and hands-on implementation. You need to influence, differentiate, and guide the business and technology strategies, as they relate to data, through constant cross-functional interaction. You ask the right questions to the right people in order to align data strategy with commercial strategy, demonstrating technical expertise and business knowledge.
- Support the data requirements of new and existing solutions by developing scalable and extensible physical data models that can be operationalised within the company’s workflows and infrastructure
- Drive efficiency and resilience by mapping data flows between systems and workflows across the company
- Ensure standardisation by following design patterns in line with global and local data governance requirements
- Support real- time internal and customer- facing actions by developing real- time event- based streaming data pipelines
- Enable rapid data- driven business decisions by developing efficient and scalable data ingestion solutions
- Drive high- value data by connecting different disparate datasets from different systems into a well- managed unified solution
- Own end- to- end data and data applications by defining, monitoring and adjusting relevant SLIs and SLOs
- Handle, mitigate and learn from incidents in a manner that improves the overall system health
- Ensure accuracy by developing criteria, automation, and processes for data production, transport, transform, and storage
- Ensure compliance with data- related requirements by building solutions in line with all applicable standards and regulations
- Ensure ongoing resilience of data processes by monitoring system performance and acting proactively identifying bottlenecks, potential risks, and failure point that might degrade overall quality
- Build software applications by using the relevant development languages and applying in- depth knowledge of the systems, services and tools used by the specific business area
- Write readable and reusable code by applying standard patterns and using standard libraries
- Continuously evolve your craft by keeping up to date with the latest developments in data engineering and related technologies, introducing them to the community and promoting their application in areas where they can generate impact.
- Actively contribute to Data Engineering at Booking.com through training, exploration of new technologies, interviewing, onboarding and mentoring colleagues.
- Push for improvements, scaling and extending data engineering tooling and infrastructure, collaborating with central teams.
You are a role model of the Booking.com values:
Level of Education
Bachelors degree in Computer Science or related field
Masters degree in Computer Science or related field
Years of relevant Job Knowledge
6+ years of experience in a data engineering or related field using a server side programming languages, preferably Scala, Java, Python, or Perl
4+ years of experience building data pipelines and transformations at scale, with technologies such as Hadoop, Cassandra, Kafka, Spark, HBase, MySQL
2+ years of experience in data modeling,
2+ years of experience handling data streaming
Requirements of special knowledge/skills
Intermediate knowledge of data modeling methods based on best practices, e.g. TOGAF
Intermediate knowledge of data governance requirements based on best practices, e.g. DAMA, and tooling for continuous automated data governance activities
Strong knowledge of data quality requirements and implementation methodologies
Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal.