- Product Problem Solving - Solves product problems using a process that protects the customer; determines the assignable cause; implements robust, data-based solutions; and identifies the systemic root causes and recommended actions to prevent problem reoccurrence.
- System Capability Engineering - Identifies system capability and risks through analysis or experimental testing of the system, sub-system, or super system in the context of its environment; negotiates and verifies requirements against capability to guide project scope and system development accordingly; assesses legacy system versus proposed new system solution capabilities and makes decisions as to how best to achieve system capability with consideration of stakeholder trade-offs.
- Systems Thinking - Defines the system of interest by drawing the boundaries, identifying its context within its environment, its interfaces, and that it has a lifecycle to aid in planning the problem statement, scope and deliverables ; analyzes linkages and interactions between elements that comprise the system of interest by using appropriate methods, models and integration of outcomes to understand the system, predict its behavior and devise modifications to it in order to produce the desired effects.
- Product Failure Mode Avoidance - Mitigates potential product failure modes, by identifying interfaces, functions, functional requirements, interactions, control factors, noise factors, and prioritized potential failure modes and potential failure causes for the system of interest to effectively and efficiently improve the reliability of Cummins’ products.
- Product Verification and Validation Management - Coordinates the development of design verification and system validation plans from a variety of inputs to identify failure modes while managing risk and relative priority; evaluates analytical and experimental test results following engineering principles to verify that products meet internal technical requirements and to validate that design solutions meet customer needs; produces recommendations with technical documentation to support product decisions.
- Product Development Execution, Monitoring and Control - Plans, schedules, coordinates and executes the activities involved in developing a product to a respectively aligned hierarchy of requirements and technical profiles; monitors and communicates across functional boundaries to meet project resource and quality expectations; ensures product capability meets or exceeds expectations and takes mitigating actions when project risks are higher than expected; understands the full product life cycle process and stakeholders.
- Technical Documentation - Documents information based on knowledge gained as part of technical function activities; communicates to stakeholders with the goal of enabling improved technical productivity and effective knowledge transfer to others who were not originally part of the initial learning.
- Applies Principles of Statistical Methods - Analyzes technical data using descriptive statistics, probability distributions, graphical analysis, and statistical inference (population and sample, confidence intervals, and hypothesis testing); models relationships between response and independent variables using analysis of variance, regression, and design of experiments to make rigorous, data-based decisions.
- Decision quality - Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Drives results - Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates - Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Communicates effectively - Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Self-development - Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using both formal and informal development channels.
Education, Licenses, Certifications
- College, university, or equivalent Bachelor's degree in Engineering or other relevant technical disciplines is required.
- This position may require licensing for compliance with export controls or sanctions regulations.
- Minimal work experience required. Preferred candidates would have relevant experience working in an temporary student employment, intern, co-op, or other extracurricular team activities.
- Extensive mechanical component/system design experience in the Automotive or Commercial Vehicle fields (transmission design preferred).
- Strong understanding of vehicle drivetrain functionality and components
- Demonstrated expertise in a 3-D modeling software package (PTC Creo or ProE preferred)
- Experience in creation and design checking of 2D detailed drawings
- Experience with Finite Element Analysis using ANSYS software