Senior Director, IT Private Equity Performance Improvement
Alvarez & Marsal
Alvarez & Marsal (“A&M”) is a global consulting firm with more than $1.7+ billion in revenues, over 5,000+ staff and 60 offices around the globe and a broad range of professional services including Restructuring, Transaction Advisory, Performance Improvement, Corporate Transformation, Financial Institutions Advisory, Tax, Valuations, and Disputes and Investigation Services.
Companies, investors and government entities around the world turn to Alvarez & Marsal (A&M) for leadership, action and results.
Our Business Technology Performance Improvement team works with clients across Europe to:
• Create and implement business strategies with clients focusing on their IT & online operations
• Realign the performance of the technology / IT function through operational restructuring to directly improve the earnings and cashflow within the business
• Carry out effective technology and E-Commerce due diligence pre-transaction, and provide necessary post transaction services (Post Merger Integration, Carve Out, 100 day planning)
• Lead enterprise wide systems & online programmes in order to deliver performance improvement via business transformation and/or cost reduction programmes
• Design and implement Digital Transformation initiatives in Data Science & Analytics, Digital Workforce & Artificial Intelligence and Digitisation
• Take interim management positions for example (and depending on experience) CIO, CTO, IT Director, Program Manager, Head of E-Commerce initiatives etc.
Reason for the opportunity
Against this backdrop of unprecedented growth, an opportunity exists for us to strengthen our Business Technology team at the Senior Director level in Paris, in order to contribute to a growing and highly experienced Senior Management team. The successful appointee will play a key part in both project delivery and continued business development.
The successful candidate will bring market leading strategic insight into the power and role of IT in private equity owned and Corporate business, possesses deep functional knowledge and insight, a blend of operational and commercial skills and an entrepreneurial approach. They will also possess a network across the Private Equity CIO and CTO community and with business leaders more broadly, as a trusted advisor on how businesses can most effectively improve the returns on their investments in technology. Entrenched in the challenges companies face today, the successful hire will be experienced in establishing enterprise technical architectures and delivering technology-led change programmes that address businesses critical issues.
The successful appointee will have responsibility for continuing to build the profile and reputation of A&M as a strategic IT advisory and programme delivery partner to leading businesses. Furthermore, the successful candidate will develop and execute a specific strategy focused on target clients and distinctive go-to-market propositions. The individual will reflect the operational distinctiveness that is A&M; being a business savvy, solution focused business entrepreneur who is addicted to having an impact, determined to make a difference and not afraid to challenge the status-quo.
Successful candidates will have a previous experience at an Advisory firm and may have experience at a leading technology firm.
Their skill set will include:
• A minimum of 15 years experience in IT Project and Program Management using leading methodologies and processes including program delivery ideally with ERP or CRM platforms eg SAP / Oracle / Navision / MS Dynamics, or within an online or technology-centric business
• Pre-deal IT and Technology due diligence of the corporate IT function, as well as core technologies and digital assets
• An appreciation of the challenges that businesses face within the deal environment including leading IT integrations and separations, identifying IT synergies, outsourcing opportunities and costs
• Senior level corporate experience (CIO, program management and transformation roles) combined with a professional services background
• Strong business technologist exposure – Experience in preparing & presenting key technology material including separation playbook, Day 1 technology models & cut-over plans, post- merger integrations (PMI) and 100 day planning
• An understanding of digital technology including, analysis and data mapping skills of IT cost trends, IT product and support systems and vendor / supplier relationships
• Well-developed stakeholder management skills including addressing complex technical risks and issues and manage key client relationships and expectations
• Clear ability to deliver the latest thinking and work within multi-disciplinary teams delivering projects using a variety of methodologies including Waterfall & Agile
• A consulting toolkit including how to frame a business issue, judiciously find and use internal and external data to test hypotheses and draw conclusions, business model using Excel, structure and write PowerPoint and Word presentations and reports
Specifically, the successful candidate will have:
• Exposure to PE firms and blue chip corporates gained at a top tier strategy / advisory firm
• Cutting edge technology experience at a leading international company
• Experience working with different cultures and in international environments
• Proven ability to work in teams and create measurable and identifiable improvements
• Advanced PowerPoint and Excel modelling skills
• Excellent attention to detail and ability to work to tight deadlines
• A very strong academic record including:
o Robust analytical rigour
o Capacity to thrive in a fast-paced, challenging and uncertain environment
• Academics, qualifications and experience
• A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
• The preferred candidate will have a combination of advisory and corporate line management with P&L experience.
• Native French is essential in addition to fluency in English. Other European languages are highly desirable as is MA or MBA qualification
• Thrives in a fast-paced, challenging, and unpredictable environment
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills - confident, charismatic and impactful presenter
• Objective, fact based approach to problem solving
• Hands-on and non-hierarchical operator who is equally effective in managing up and down and relates well at all levels and cultures
• Driven by values and integrity, straight talker, builds confidence and leads by example
• Demonstrable ability to balance a high level view with detail
• Can quickly establish credibility – the successful appointee will have substantial operational business experience, not just the theoretical view
• A natural ability to prioritise – especially in highly pressurised situations
• Integrity - even when the message is unpopular, but right for the situation at hand
• Autonomous – Alvarez & Marsal has a flat structure with a self-sufficient culture
A&M delivers tangible results for corporates, boards, private equity firms, law firms and government agencies facing complex challenges. Our senior leaders, and their teams help companies act decisively, catapult growth and accelerate results. We are experienced operators, world-class consultants, former regulators and industry authorities with a shared commitment to telling clients what’s really needed for turning change into a strategic business asset, managing risk and unlocking value at every stage of growth.
It is Alvarez & Marsal’s policy to provide and promote equal opportunity in employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, pregnancy, marital status, family status, religion, national origin, age or disability or any other non-merit based factor in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations.
Unsolicited Resumes from Third-Party Recruiters
Please note that as per A&M policy, we do not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters unless such recruiters were engaged to provide candidates for a specified opening. Any employment agency, person or entity that submits an unsolicited resume does so with the understanding that A&M will have the right to hire that applicant at its discretion without any fee owed to the submitting employment agency, person or entity.