What part will you play?
The Senior Broadcast Field Engineer provides timely and professional engineering support for CNN's newsgathering and production operations, in a deadline-led news environment, for broadcasting and editorial clients who expect high standards of performance and productivity. Field engineers are often the only formally qualified technicians working on a location. Their communications abilities, self-confidence and engineering skills must therefore be of a high standard. The Senior Broadcast Field Engineer can build, direct and lead an installation of a site in varying environments and will give guidance to other Engineers & team members.
What will you be doing?
• Provide timely and professional engineering support for CNN's Field-based newsgathering and production operations, in a deadline-led news environment, for broadcasting and editorial clients who expect high standards of performance and productivity.
• TV broadcast systems design & implementation, technical quality control, electronic maintenance, equipment installations and operations; working with all types of equipment required for remote TV broadcasting, at possibly any location worldwide.
• This Broadcast Engineering professional will be tasked with timely and professional technical support of the 24x7x365 news, and IT/IP/Video/Audio production environment. Individuals must fully demonstrate the skills, knowledge, and competencies necessary to set up and operate a satellite news gathering ("SNG") system, perform quality control, and perform minor maintenance and repair (when needed) of all television remote broadcast and/or satellite transmission & receiving equipment.
• Frequent assignments for work in the field, both in Hong Kong and overseas are expected, and protracted periods of duty are anticipated.
• Depending on the nature of news assignments these may be made at short notice, sometimes to hostile locations, and can be physically demanding. Field engineers are capable of, and committed to, meeting these demands.
• When not deployed on a field assignment, Field Engineers work at the engineering office/workshop located at the Hong Kong production centre. From there, they provide technical, maintenance and logistical support for the technical resources of the department, HK facility and the regional overseas bureaus.
• This position will liaise closely with the Hong Kong bureau staff and CNN engineering teams, across all areas of common interest and purpose. Wider communications with many other CNN departments, our vendors and overseas bureaus are also required in relation to news assignments, equipment issues and planning.
• A creative ability to overcome system and equipment level problems and quickly find workaround solutions is vital.
What do we need from you?