Requisition ID: 98185
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off.
Senior Manager, National Mortgage Execution Team - Real Estate Banking
The Senior Manager, contributes to the profitable growth and quality of the Bank’s mortgage portfolio for loans originating from Real Estate Banking and/or Commercial Distribution across Canada by performing financial solutions-related activities for clients including risk analysis, deal structuring, pricing, negotiation and presentation on highly complex deals, across the real estate segment in a defined market area, in Canada, ensuring business strategies, plans and initiatives are supported in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures.
Champions a customer focused culture throughout their team to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
Contributes to the profitable development of the Commercial Credit business for mortgage loans on a national basis by:
• Ensuring the timely analysis, structure and presentation of credit / financial solutions/proposals within the defined market area;
• Providing prompt and sound recommendations in the analysis and adjudication of credit proposals;
• Providing prompt responses to credit adjudication officers to ensure quick deal turnaround;
• Ensuring that writings to the Directors, Origination clearly convey the rationale for decisions, so that they may respond effectively to clients;
• Providing input and advice to various commercial banking groups recommending pricing for loans, structure which yield a return commensurate with risk and due regard to profit, administration and competitive considerations;
• Recommending alternative terms, conditions and covenants to provide a viable banking proposal to the client within sound credit lending practices;
• Input into restructuring marginal proposals into bankable deals where possible;
• Where appropriate, providing guidance, coaching and counsel to Directors, Origination, so that they may better serve clients’ needs.
Ensures the accurate communication of the terms and conditions of an authorization and the effective and timely implementation of same by:
• Writing or reviewing all written authorizations to ensure accuracy, completeness and clarity;
• Training other team members on best credit underwriting practices, deal structuring and effective communication to ensure smooth deal close.
• Ensuring prompt follow-up for acceptance of the authorization and reacting swiftly to any problems, amendments, extensions, reporting to senior management where necessary;
• Promptly and effectively escalating and/or addressing issues surrounding the adequacy, quality and completeness of loan documentation and security;
• Liaising to ensure any required changes to the Directors, Origination and follow-up for the accurate execution and delivery of same prior to disbursement of funds.
Ensure the ongoing quality of the assigned credit portfolio through control and administration of the specific conditions and reporting requirements, as specified in individual authorizations are adhered to by:
• Part of the team that directs and assists the Senior Client Solutions Analysts in the detailed evaluation of all information received, reporting deficiencies or any negative findings to senior management;
• Escalating and advising senior management of any credit weaknesses developing within individual accounts, by ongoing awareness and analysis of relevant financial, legal, political, technological, and real estate industry information;
• Adhere to any regulatory and internal Bank policies and requirements.
Provide coaching/counselling to Senior Client Solutions Analysts and Relationship Managers as applicable by:
• Input into developing the credit competencies of Senior Client Solutions Analysts in relation to assigned accounts;
• Providing timely performance feedback on credit analysis presented for review.
Input into and directing day-to-day activities in a manner consistent with the Bank’s risk culture and the relevant risk appetite statement and limits. Communicates the Bank’s risk culture and risk appetite statement throughout their teams.
Creates an environment in which his/her team pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, AML/ATF risk and conduct risk, including but not limited to responsibilities under the Operational Risk Management Framework, Regulatory Compliance Risk Management Framework, AML/ATF Global Handbook and the Guidelines for Business Conduct.
Helps build and contributes to a high performance environment and contributes to a people strategy that attracts, retains, develops and motivates their team by fostering an inclusive work environment; part of the team that communicates vison/values/business strategy and helps manage succession and development planning for the team.
Education / Experience / Other Information:
• An undergraduate degree in business or economics (or work equivalency) is a requirement as well as other training as determined by the Bank from time to time.
• 5+ years of experience in a credit underwriting specialization (banking or other financial institutions or Insurance companies) preferably real estate mortgage underwriting or initiation.
• Excellent real estate industry knowledge with areas of specialization where required.
• In-depth knowledge of the Bank’s lending policies, practices and procedures, as well as an awareness of business trends economic, technological, social, legal and political conditions and factors which could affect the viability of a credit in the real estate industry.
• A solid knowledge and understanding of financial statements and accounting principles and policies is a must
• Good understanding of the syndications and mortgage markets, MBS market, secured and unsecured lending options, mortgage bonds, etc.
• Because of large volumes and tight time frames, must possess effective communication skills, both written and oral.
• In the administration of credit, complex loan documentation and security provision requirements must be understood and applied. (Loan agreements frequently extend to 100 pages or more).
• Must be a highly organized, analytical and logical person.
• Excellent credit skills and significant credit experience
• Excellent risk assessment and analysis skills
• Excellent accounting and financial analysis skills
• Excellent deal structuring skills
• Excellent coaching skills
• Good understanding of customer profitability model
• Ability to build solid business case justification for deals
• Superior negotiation skills
• Superior interpersonal and teamwork skills
• Good communication skills (oral & written)
• Superior sales/closing capabilities
• Superior product knowledge
• Ability to work non-standard hours as required
• Ability to travel frequently and primarily domestically
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada's International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. Our employees are committed to a superior customer experience and use the Bank’s six guiding sales practice principles to ensure they act with honesty and integrity.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.