About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
- The “Senior Manager/Manager” role exists to support the Retail Wealth Lending and Private Bank credit risk management.
- To ensure the local regulations, Risk Management Framework and internal policies/standards are effectively communicated and implemented across the Credit Underwriting, Credit Risk Portfolio Management, Credit Policy and Credit Standards and for administering related governance and reporting processes.
- To uphold the integrity of the risk/return decisions, and in particular for ensuring that credit risks arising are properly assessed, that risk/return decisions are made transparently on the basis of this proper assessment, and are controlled in accordance with the Regulations, Group's standards and its Risk Appetite.
- To drive change in the underwriting and portfolio risk management in collaboration with other parts of the business, risk and group risk functions.
- To be responsible for maintenance of the Credit strategy management, conduct assurance test and support implementation of regulations and internal policies/ standards.
- The role holder is expected to provide recommendations in quality analytical and logical approach with risk/return benefit for informed decision making.
- Design, maintain and effectively communicate risk control parameters including policies, control standards, risk exposure limits and other control levers in order to maintain the business's risk profile in line with the Group's risk appetite.
- Assess the credit risk profile of the Retail WM Lending and Private Banking clients portfolio and maintain alignment with risk appetite by rebalancing of risks or controls that may be required in response to internal and external factors.
- To exercise direct credit risk approval authority in the Private Banking Clients business.
- Review risk appetite metric and thresholds to ensure reflect the characteristics of portfolio, key risk drivers, market environment and control are considered in the annual risk appetite review process in accordance to Group framework and mapping out a plan to enhance underwriting/ portfolio management policy.
- Support ICAAP and Stress Testing exercise by review Loss rate, Credit Risk Weighted Asset, Credit migration results with historical trends and whether the results suggest higher level of risk for certain portfolio segments and ensure effective management response plans are in place to respond to extreme but plausible scenarios.
- Responsible for maintenance of the Credit strategy management, conduct assurance test and support implementation of regulations, internal policies/ standards and models.
- Design, maintain and ensure effective risk parameter in Underwriting system and Transaction systems to support the initiatives, projects and in compliance of internal policies/ standards.
- Review credit monitoring reports, investigate the trends/key risk drivers, inform and propose controls & remediation actions.
- Identify potential concern segment with remediation actions for Retail WM Lending and Private Banking Credit to ensure that it's aligned to the agreed risk appetite, reflects the key risk characteristics of the portfolio, and enables effective controls. To recommend appropriate portfolio and collection actions for remediation.
- Review the complaint case related to Retail WM Lending and Private Banking Credit and feedback to relevant stakeholders (Customer care unit, Business, Retail Risk etc.) and evaluating potential action plans.
- Review and ensure Group forecast portfolio loan impairment (IIP, ECL) trends fully reflect the credit actions, portfolio growth plan and market environments (outlook, regulations, etc) as well as risk mitigations plan.
- Administrative country credit bulletin, country credit policy manual and procedures to ensure the compliance of Regulations, Group Credit Policies and Process Standards. Dispensations or any gaps must be well supported and approved on a timely basis. Country Approval Documents and Country Credit Policy Manual are renewed on timely basis.
- Implement the Basel requirements as per internal standards. Review, maintain and resolve the data quality/ parameter issue of Basel requirement. Analysis the impact to downstream impact with remediation actions.
- Direct appropriate response to material events or other risk issues that come to the Head of Credit Risk Management's attention.
- To collaborate with RSSC team, CRM Analytic Hub team and Credit Risk Reporting & MI Team to ensure timely delivery of MI report and implement the change in reporting.
- Timely report of material risk events, breach of risk triggers, material shift in portfolio shape / threshold, and portfolio performance in PQR deck. Ensure that material risk exposures and related issues are reported to the responsible governance committees.
- Ensure risk identification and measurement are objective, consistent and compliant with applicable regulations.
- Initiate stress tests as required by internal and external factor / stakeholders, including local regulators and review results and assess their implications.
- Communicate and Management of all internal stakeholders, including developing relationships with business partners, group teams, and balancing the role with stakeholder expectations.
- Ensure effective management of operational risks within the Function and compliance with applicable internal policies, and external laws and regulations.
- Continuously improve the operational efficiency and effectiveness of risk management processes.
- Ensure compliance with local governance requirement and processes. To encourage the development of an appropriate risk culture and discipline.
- Maintain and develop risk capabilities and skills to meet ongoing business needs and plans
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group’s Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank’s Conduct Principles: Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Financial Markets; Financial Crime Compliance; The Right Environment.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Credit Risk Management, Collection, Control Assessment & Assurance/MI&F
- Group Credit
- Operational Risk Team
- Credit Risk Operation Teams (Credit Initiation, Credit Admin, Fraud Risk Management)
- Regional / Country Business Heads and Product Head
- PQRs and CIFs (or other forums, as may be applicable)
- Internal technology partners
- Operations, L&C and Customer Experience Management units
- HR & L &TD team
- Internal and External Auditors
Our Ideal Candidate
- Minimum 8-10 years of Wealth Lending and/ or Private Banking credit risk management experience is preferable
- Market Knowledge: Solid experience in the banking industry, including demonstrated success in a similar role. Sound knowledge of financial markets, investment and loan products.
- Business Strategy and Model: With good business acumen (including ability to assess risk and appropriate levels of return), good interpersonal skills and multi-cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Risk Management and Control: Ability to manage risk in highly varied product base. Expertise in process design and control.
- Regulatory Framework and Requirements: Awareness and understanding of the Hong Kong regulatory framework in which the firm operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role
- Non-technical Skills: Good presentation and negotiation skill and relationship management experience
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages. We welcome conversations on flexible working.