Requisition ID: 100337
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off.
Contributes to the overall success of the Internal Control Unit-International Banking in globally ensuring specific individual goals, plans, initiatives are executed / delivered in support of the team’s business strategies and objectives. Ensures all activities conducted are in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures.
• Providing subject matter expertise and collaboration to International Banking Business Lines and Regional/District/Country Heads in establishing appropriate internal controls which support business plan growth, increase productivity, mitigate risk and provide a consistent customer experience
• Governance and execution of Risk & Controls Self-Assessments on Non-Financial Risks to assist the Risk Owners proactively identify risk issues, emerging risks and controls effectiveness
• Support the Risk Owners to define risk appetites, metrics and thresholds for ongoing monitoring including developing sub-business line Risk Appetite Statements
• Governance and execution of New Initiative Risk Assessments
• Support the Risk Owners to define key risk indicators and thresholds for ongoing monitoring
• Collaborating with both Business lines and District/Country resources, coordinating and providing oversight to Audit Findings and Internal Control Review remediation efforts as required; ensuring operational deficiencies are addressed and operational soundness is maintained. Proactive follow-up to ensure that commitments made are delivered on
• Providing support to business units in case of internal control breakdowns; providing guidance on action plan and escalating to relevant executives
• Supporting the Director in all aspects of major strategic internal control change initiatives, leveraging process and technology solutions that can be shared across IB and provide consistency with Bank models
• Providing oversight, ongoing monitoring, support and independent review to ensure effective and efficient risk assessment and adequate controls are in place within the supported countries
• Monitoring events in the financial services industry, identifying new and emerging issues, regulatory initiatives, etc. providing insight to Senior Leadership
• Identifying key divisional internal control processes for re-engineering, aligning policies and procedures
• Supporting the development and implementation of all internal control governance framework for organizational structures to reduce duplication of accountabilities, and addresses best practices in spans and layers
• Leading the development and distribution of IB Core Risk Committee materials (e.g., Core Risks Committee Meeting materials, Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), Dashboard benchmarks and reporting etc.)
• Sharing Internal Control review recommendations and Lessons Learned to ensure consistent application of key internal controls which contribute to sustained improvement of risk key performance indicators across International Banking
• Monitoring and supporting the implementation and delivery of operational risk metrics and indicators to ensure adherence to the District/Country risk appetite, including reporting at the District/Country level
• Enabling a stronger risk culture through ongoing coaching on risk and controls and training on the Operational Risk Framework and tools
• Acting as a strategic partner to the senior leadership team in each business area, ensuring challenges and issues are addressed effectivel
Requirements & Qualifications:
• MBA or equivalent experience
• +7 years of Business Line Risk management work experience
• Superior written/verbal communication and interpersonal skills. The candidate should be fully bilingual (Spanish)
• Previous experience in Global Risk Management / Compliance / Audit would be an asset
• Candidates must be willing to travel internationally periodically
• Demonstrated ability to strategically think, influence and communicate throughout all levels of the organization
• Superior Project Management skills and excellent skills in relationship and general business management.
• Superior problem-solving techniques
• Proactive approach to activity completion, often with minimum supervision
• Expert ability to balance competing/ conflicting goals of various stakeholders, requiring a mature, diplomatic approach and highly developed negotiation and influencing skills
• Demonstrate flexibility and comfort in dealing with change/ambiguity. The individual must adapt to an environment of uncertainty and shifts in priority
• Highly-developed cultural sensitivity in order to operate effectively across cultural and language differences is required as well
• Ability to learn, and assimilate, learned information into recommendations and strategies quickly
• Internal control & Risk Management policies/processes/platforms/protocols
• Commercial / Corporate / Retail / Small Business / Wealth Management / Wholesale products and services, including supporting systems, routines and operating procedures, and external indicator reports
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada's International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. Our employees are committed to a superior customer experience and use the Bank’s six guiding sales practice principles to ensure they act with honesty and integrity.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.