Through its Fellowship program, Teach For India impacts 32,000 students across our 7 cities. As we enter new classrooms and our students grow older, the importance of keeping all of our children safe is growing more urgent and consequential. we recognize the importance of keeping child safety at the center of our work. The Manager/Senior Manager, Child Safety and Advocacy will be the central point of contact for managing child and vulnerable adult protection issues within all Teach For India intervention schools. S/he will work closely with the City Child Protection Officers (CCPOs), our regional representatives, to ensure compliance and governance with Teach For India’s Child Protection Policy.
The Opportunity: As Manager/Senior Manager, Child Safety and Advocacy, you will have the opportunity to create systems, processes and strategies to govern child safety practice across Teach For India, and work with national partners, as well as State and Central Governments to advocate for safe spaces for learning to achieve excellent outcomes.
What Teach For India Can Offer You
1) A challenging yet flexible workplace in which every individual employee’s staff journey is tracked for excellence and leadership development.
2) A work environment in which employees’ holistic well-being is a core priority, enabling people to be their best selves.
3) The opportunity to be part of one of the most established and visionary movements in the education sector in India, which is at a pivotal point in terms of expanding its scale and outreach while working with changemakers across the country.
4) Access to connections and resources from the global Teach For All network that includes partner organisations spanning over 50 countries across 6 continents.
5) Remuneration that is competitive with Indian NGO pay scales and a benefits package that includes extensive medical insurance and maternity coverage for both parents.
Vision and Strategy
- Developing an overarching vision, strategy, and approach to child safety and protection in Teach For India
- Maintaining in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to child safety and protection, reducing legal risks, and ensuring regulatory compliance. Partnering with the legal department as needed/required, and translating the same to guidance and policies for implementing in cities through CCPOs
- Keeping up to date with developments in the field of child protection, by attending relevant training or events and reading relevant bulletins and publications
- Developing innovative solutions that are student-centric and anchored in student voice & empowerment
Implementation through awareness building and consistency
- Creating training and designing awareness mechanisms to ensure that the policy is widely understood by all Fellows & Staff
- Identifying, cultivating, and evaluating partnerships that support the care of children including legal support, potential shelter homes, child counselors/psychologists, medical professionals, and hospitals to support in extreme cases of breakdown of physical health
- Standardizing operating procedures and protocols so as to ensure consistency in response to CPP violations across cities
- Thought partnering with CCPOs on building awareness in students on child safety, identifying abuse and reporting mechanism for the same
Advocacy, Mentoring and Decision Making
- Raising awareness of the Child Protection Officer role to parents/carers, adults and children
- Training and skill-building for all CCPOs in the form of 1:1 check-ins, group sessions, shadowing them in the city etc.
- Supporting to CCPOs to identify and cultivate partnerships at a city level to bring in expertise to child safety cases
- Handling sensitive, high-severity child protection cases across Cities (for example, child sexual abuse cases in cities)
- Overseeing accurate, confidential, and up to date documentation on all cases of safeguarding and child protection by all CCPOs
- Supporting Program Leads and CCPOs in designing and leading training for Fellows and Staff on supporting students with behavioral challenges
- Advocate for child safety issues and rights with local and national government officials
- Locate and secure collaborative projects with governments to ensure greater safety for children
- Spread awareness of child protection implications within our community
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Monitoring and reviewing the implementation of the Child Protection Policy (CPP) and documentation and procedures to ensure they are adhered to remain current and fit for purpose
- Conducting monthly/quarterly review meetings with all CCPCs to strengthen response protocols and procedures
- Data collection from CCPOs to identify gaps and strengthen existing mechanisms
- Organization-wide reporting (including to the Senior Leadership Team and Board) on prevention and learning
Minimum Qualifications, Skills and Competencies
- Ability to manage change in a complex work environment
- Ability to operate with high integrity, confidentiality and sound judgement
- Ability to identify solutions that are child-centric, rooted in student voice & empowerment
- 3+ years of relevant field/social work experience with children
- Excellent English communication skills - written and verbal
Preferred Qualifications, Skills and Competencies
- Previous experience of managing teams and projects
- Innovation & creativity
- Ability to speak any other local language is preferred
Please note, whether this role is a Manager or Senior Manager role will be dependent on the candidate and how much the hiring manager anticipates needing to directly support these priorities (thus the amount of experience on the ground and doing this kind of work will likely have an impact as well).