We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Senior Managing Consultant - EconometricianWho is Mastercard?
Mastercard is a global technology company in the payments industry. Our mission is to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart, and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments, and businesses realize their greatest potential.
Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. With connections across more than 210 countries and territories, we are building a sustainable world that unlocks priceless possibilities for all.
The Data & Services team is a key differentiator for Mastercard, providing the cutting-edge services that help our customers grow. Focused on thinking big and scaling fast around the globe, this agile team is responsible for end-to-end solutions for a diverse global customer base. We combine traditional management consulting with our rich data assets and in-house technology to provide our clients with powerful strategic insights and recommendations. Centered on data-driven technologies and innovation, these services include consulting, loyalty and marketing programs, test-and-learn business experimentation, and data-driven information and risk management services. While specializing in the payments industry, Mastercard Data & Services also works closely with major retailers, issuers & governments, leveraging data and insights garnered from within and beyond its network.
We are looking for passionate and talented professionals, who can lead Mastercard’s macroeconomic thought leadership team based in Gurgaon, India.
As a lead econometrician, you will drive the global macroeconomic research agenda delivering impactful white papers in collaboration with Mastercard partners. You will lead, motivate and manage a team focused on thematic research and econometrics driving thought leadership. Develop the framework for the global economic and financial market forecasts to set us up as an industry leader. You would own both authorship, and guidance of team to deliver innovative and impactful thought leadership white papers. You need to look for ways to instill both creativity and efficiency in the process to deliver the latest and greatest in both content and style. You would have to take a medium and long term view on the field of economics, econometrics and a plan for the development of themes, narratives, tools and techniques. Guide, manage and grow team to unlock their potential & channel it to deliver the best output. Use the power of data science to structure and visualize economic relationships for custom and actionable insights. Lead the exploration in incorporating alternative data sets into deliverables
As a strong people manager, you will mentor and coach junior teammates outside of direct engagement teams, and engender effective contribution to Mastercard’s knowledge management and best practices. At Mastercard, you are expected to not only have a tremendous impact in transforming our clients, but also have a leading role in shaping the organization’s future.
All about you
We recruit for and value the following core competencies:
• Passion: Actively seeks responsibility and takes pride in guiding project teams towards delivering the highest quality results and recommendations to our clients. Creative & passionate about data, coding, technology and its applications
• Problem Solving: Leads teams to identify the most critical aspects of a problem, and guides team to business-focused solutions and recommendations that drive client value. Initiates changes to project direction where required, and able to decide and act without the total picture.
• Analytic Excellence: Demonstrates a strong aptitude for structured problem solving and quantitative skills, and leads team to effective and efficient technical capability usage regardless of context. A tech savvy economist motivated by curiosity. Excellent in synthesizing data to create insights, superb story teller
• Strategic Thinking: Strong collaborator and independent thinker with evidence of having taken the medium to long term view on trends, themes, tools and techniques.
• Innovative Mindset: Proven record of creativity/innovation/unorthodox thinking in data science/coding/a related field. Patents in econometrics, tools, and techniques are a plus.
• Communication and Presence: Leads composition of complete deliverables and other written communication, and demonstrates an ability to communicate verbally in a wide range of complex scenarios and up to senior management levels. A demonstrated interest in machine learning and statistics with the ability to communicate models in a non-technical manner.
An impactful presenter at industry events and media. A gifted clear writer and ability to think beyond the obvious. Publication of academic research papers or books or articles in industry journals are a plus.
• Teamwork: Motivates medium size teams or key work streams on large engagements to produce superior quality deliverables while creating an open collaboration environment for all levels, with a will to win attitude. Demonstrated success in leading high performing teams in past, excellent people manager
• Integrity: Models Mastercard's values of honesty and integrity. Follows through on commitments and makes others do the same.
• Diverse Perspective: Brings a unique skillset or approach to the table in every client engagement or internal activity. Openness to new ideas, approaches, challenges and environments.
• Master’s degree in Statistics, Economics, Actuarial Sciences or related field OR A PhD in Statistics, Economics, Actuarial Sciences or related field
• Proficiency in key econometric and statistical techniques (predictive modeling, logistic regression, survival analysis, design of experiments, decision trees, data mining methods, and other advanced statistical and econometric techniques)
• 10 or more years related statistical modeling, quantitative, analytical, or actuarial work experience Or If a PhD, 8 or more years related experience in statistical model development
• 5 or more years of managerial experience or experience working with cross-functional teams in a leadership capacity.
• Solid understanding of Statistics and Econometric concepts to include knowledge of modeling and forecasting techniques such as GLM, ARIMA, GARCH, etc
• Expertise with Python, R, or other major statistical packages
• Willingness to learn other statistical applications or software as needed
• Experience working in the financial services industry
• Knowledge or experience with time series modeling approaches
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.