The Senior Product Manager (SPM) title is intended for someone with substantial product experience and an established track record of successful product practices and delivery. The SPM leads multiple product teams or a large product group and is responsible for defining the product strategies and customer outcomes that their product team(s) work to achieve and ensuring that the products delivered meet the needs of Workiva customers. Senior Product Managers are expected to demonstrate competencies in the full product lifecycle from discovery to delivery including: customer discovery, product discovery, product evangelism, management of their product(s) including prioritization of work and writing release notes for product releases, and management of relationships with key product stakeholders. SPMs are expected to actively mentor less experienced product managers, and may take up to 2 product managers as direct reports. Key accountabilities include establishing and tracking business metrics for their products. (e.g. Acquisition, Revenue, Retention, SLA, utilization, customer satisfaction, etc.)
What You'll Do:
Discovery: Engages internal Workiva experts and customers (new or prospective) to gain an understanding of key challenges that represent opportunities for Workiva products or solutions. Using this knowledge, the product manager collaborates with his/her product team(s) to iteratively define solutions ranging from small feature enhancements to robust solutions.
- Meets with customers to identify customer needs and opportunities, determine product market fit
- Gathers and considers feedback from a range of existing customers to determine whether new enhancements/features/solutions will address their needs
- Meets with customers to validate features and walks through product iterations in the course of development to ensure product development is on track to meet customer needs
- Researches competitive/related solutions, understands the technology landscape
- Acquires a deep expertise of their product, their customers, and the related domain(s)
- Works closely with design to make sure features are usable and intuitive for our customers
- Works closely with engineering to ensure solution feasibility
- Document key uses cases to help the team understand the problems
- Creates story maps, roadmaps and other artifacts to provide context and direction to product teams and other stakeholders
- Ensures final product meets customer needs
Management of Product: Authors and maintains product vision and strategy. Defines priority of outcomes, clarifies customer needs for product team(s), works with engineering to set deadlines for milestones, authors Objectives and Key Results (OKRs), and acts as a leader on their product team(s).
- Acquires a deep expertise of their product(s) and adjacent products
- Creates and maintains a clear product vision and strategy that helps drive the product forward and supports the broader business goals of Workiva
- Partners with lead engineer and UX designer to scope out solutions and features and establish pathways for team to develop the product
- Establishes success criteria for the product, and works with UX researcher to determine how to measure that criteria.
- Monitors progress towards product completion for each component and the final product
- Ensures final product meets customer needs
- Identify potential problems within their product areas, process, or teams that arise in their area and drive resolutions for those issues.
Relationship Management: Manages relationships with their product team, the product management team, product marketing, internal stakeholders, sales, strategic partners, customer success, and customers that use or might use their product.
- Ensures that their product team understands the vision and strategy of their product, as well as the short and medium term plans to achieve their vision.
- Collaborates with the Product Management team to identify areas of possible alignment or collision
- Collaborates with Product Marketing to develop a go to market strategy
- Works to inform internal stakeholders of product strategy and goals, understands and considers their input
Leadership/Mentorship: Manages or mentors less experienced Product Managers. Provides guidance and leadership to other product team members.
- May have one or more product managers as direct reports
- Provides guidance, formally or informally, to others in the Product Management team
What You'll Need:
- Initiative and ambition
- Intellectual curiosity
- Affinity for technology/software
- Ability to motivate, inspire, and lead by example
- Excellent interpersonal communication and collaboration skills
- Strong negotiator
- Product delivery practices
- Product evangelism and motivational leadership
- Data-driven decision making
- Vision and strategic thinking
- Experience delivering software in an agile development environment using continuous deployment techniques
- History of delivery of successful products in a product management role
- Experience in managing beta or early adopter programs
- Demonstrated competency in product discovery practices
- Entrepreneurial interests and experience
- B.S./B.A. degree preferred, preferably in computer science, computer engineering, or business
- MBA preferred
Where You’ll Work
Our values drive how we work and who we hire. You will see these values ingrained in how we support our customers, work with team members, build our products and in the work environment we’ve created.
- Customer Success: Always delight our customers.
- Trust: Rely on each other.
- Integrity: Do the right thing, every time.
- Collaboration: Share resources and work together.
- Innovation: Keep creating solutions and finding better ways.
- Inclusion: Support a diverse community where we all belong.
- Accountability: Be responsible for your success and failure.
We believe our people are our greatest asset, and our unique culture gives employees the opportunity to make an impact everyday. We give our employees the freedom and resources they need—backed by our culture of collaboration and diverse thought—to continue innovating and breaking new ground. We hire talented people with a wide range of skills and experiences who are eager to tackle some of today’s most challenging problems.
At Workiva, you’ll enjoy:
- Casual Dress: Workiva has a casual work environment, most people wear jeans to the office.
- Involvement: Ability to participate in Employee Resource Groups, (Women in Tech, Women in Sales, Ethnic Diversity, Veterans, Rainbow (LGBTQ), Remote Employees, Caregiving) Volunteering, Company wide celebrations, and more
- Work-life Balance: We have competitive PTO, VTO and Parental Leave. We encourage employees to spend time enjoying life outside of work.
Learn more: [...] is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We believe that great minds think differently. We value diversity of backgrounds, beliefs, and interests, and we recognize diversity as an important source of intellectual thought, varied perspective, and innovation. Employment decisions are made without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression genetic information, marital status, citizenship status or any other protected characteristic.
Workiva is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. To request assistance with the application process, please email email@example.com.