It wasn’t so long ago that booking a trip to see the Eiffel Tower, stroll down New York’s iconic Madison Avenue or feel the sand between our toes on Copacabana Beach was simply a matter of a few taps on our smartphone.
In fact, that’s what we do at Booking.com. We make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that world might feel a little farther away right now, we’re busy preparing for when the world is ready to travel once more.
Across our offices worldwide, we continue to innovate. To solve for some of the most complex challenges in travel and technology, and to plan for the exciting developments that lie ahead. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening up new career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission.
We are united in the belief that our very human desire to explore the planet’s beauty and discover more about other people and cultures will endure. The world is waiting for us. Together, we will be ready.
Who we are and what is our mission as a unit?
Payments are an ever-changing, complex, competitive and extremely exciting industry. It remains the key priority for Booking and is in charge of creating delightful payment and billing experiences for bookers and merchants alike, and help internal clients (Accommodations, Transportation, Attractions, …) grow their business. In the Finance Platform our mission is to provide an easy-to-use, reliable and compliant Platform for Products to manage entity data and to generate accurate financial documents, and provide tooling that enables Finance Operations teams to be more effective.
As a Senior Software Developer, you are responsible for the development, performance, and scaling of our public website as well as internal systems. You will work independently and will also be responsible for making technical decisions within a team.
Important aspects of the job include:
- Rapidly developing next-generation scalable, flexible, and high-performance systems.
- Influencers with a collaborative, proactive attitude, driving innovation within the team.
- Solving issues with the systems, prioritizing based on customer impact
- Advocating development best practices within the team/track.
- Coaching or mentoring team/track members on technical topics.
- Driving a culture of ownership and technical excellence, leading by example.
- Acting as an intermediary for problems, with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Taking ownership of reliability incidents and leading the post-mortem process.
- Understanding the business processes and how to best support our customers or clients (ex accommodations, attractions, flights etc) while supporting the Finance department within the company with appropriate systems and tools.
- Contributing to the growth of Booking.com through interviewing, on-boarding, or other recruitment efforts.
We are looking for driven Developers who enjoy solving problems, who initiate solutions and discussions and who believe that any challenge can be scaled with the right mindset and tools.
We have found that people who match the following requirements are the ones who fit us best:
- 5+ years software development experience; using 2 or more server side programming languages (preferably Java, knowledge of Perl is a plus).
- Experience with Microservices, Java Spring Boot and Kafka.
- Experience with building highly scalable distributed systems and batch processing pipelines with focus on data integrity and resilience.
- Experience with unit, integration and end-to-end testing paradigms.
- Experience with defining and upholding SLOs/KPIs and leading architecture reviews for systems.
- Experience with debugging and troubleshooting Java services.
- Good grip on the JVM internals.
- Past experience with FinTech or Payment Processing is a big plus.
- Experience of working on products that impact a large customer base and have a company wide impact.
- Excellent communication; written and spoken.
- An opportunity to contribute to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide.
- Be part of a truly international fast paced environment and performance driven culture.
- Various opportunities to grow technically and personally via side projects, hackathons, conferences and your involvement in the community.
- Full relocation support for you and your family (if the case) to move to Amsterdam - one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe. We have fine-tuned this process by successfully relocating 300+ Technology professionals to Amsterdam in the last year alone!
- Headquarters located in one of the most dynamic cities in Europe: Amsterdam
- Performance-based company that offers 29 vacation days, career advancement, and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential
- Discount on Booking.com accommodations with the “Booking Deal” including other perks and benefits
- Company-sponsored family and social activities to help our employees become integrated with each other and Dutch culture
- Diverse and creative colleagues from every corner of the world
- Generous relocation package, ensuring a smooth transition to working and living in Amsterdam
- With over 70 different nationalities within the technology department alone, you will be able to absorb new skills and grow your career in a multicultural environment.
We value Diversity of all types and in an open, dynamic workplace. This has been a pillar at Booking.com since day one, and something we continue to strongly believe in and build today.
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.