Who are we?
FLIP is a medium sized company which is profitable, growing, and harnesses the power of product, engineering and customer-centric design to build high quality, elegant and valuable solutions that our customers love to use.
FLIP sits at the heart of the logistics ecosystem, enabling senders and carriers to operate, disrupt and grow in powerful and effective ways.
The environment is informal but technically very mature with a consistent focus on creating a workspace which is free from the typical bottlenecks that impede software engineers and designers from enjoying their work.
What does this role require?
You will need a real commitment to working with customers and product people to deliver well engineered solutions that you are proud of, which are a joy to inherit, maintain and extend.
This role requires strong engineering skills, the discipline to think critically and independently, with a willingness to engage in new ideas and unfamiliar technical challenges.
You will also need to be able to discuss system and software design reasoning with an open mind, based on customer and product considerations.
Who will I be working with?
All of your peers will be Senior Engineers with an architectural understanding of building software. This has been important due to the complexities of new and existing software.
You will find the conversations you have are underpinned by deep levels of technical knowledge, curiosity and a satisfaction of learning from similar minds.
You will also enjoy the company of a strong product team and together you will discover and unpack the needs, goals and frustrations of our customers in order to deliver high quality and valuable solutions that we are proud of and they love to use.
Can you tell me about the leadership?
Leadership largely resides in existing Developers and Designers.You will also find a very experienced technical CTO that facilitates this mindset and works on an equal footing with everyone, although naturally, with a commercial aspect to their role.
Company leadership listens closely and acts on the sentiment of both customers and technology whilst looking after business direction and commercial success.
How are things organised?
You will be working with around 15 Engineers who are working across two different pieces of software in integration, infrastructure and software engineering. Hiring is also a collective decision by the people you talk to in the process.
Who makes technical decisions?
Developers do this together. You’re empowered not only to step up to lead, but to also step up to follow: You won’t be forced to accept things the way they are, but you will need the insight and maturity to determine when best to have backbone, or when to disagree and commit with the team.
Why would I apply?
● You might be looking for a mature and respectful environment with a high level of technical competence that is self organising.
● You might be after an uncomplicated and transparent hiring process. Three technical conversations. There will be technical discussions where hopefully you will feel challenged yet supported.
● You might be after a flexible work environment. Whilst this is not a remote role, you might enjoy a day or two working from home each week. Or you may not be a morning person. No stress. NOTE: during the current COVID-19 pandemic the team is 100% remote.
● Generous salary.
Why might I not apply?
● You might prefer an environment where you get to make solo decisions. If so then this role will probably not be a good fit. You will need a creative, tenacious and collaborative approach to creating solutions and be able to comfortably communicate your thoughts whilst listening to those you work with.
● You might be looking for a more traditional “lead” role with direct reports under you. We have a flat culture and everyone is a leader, not in the people management sense though.
What is the technology and what processes are used?
Hiring is not made purely on the basis of specific languages and tooling but as a guide the following skills would be useful:
● Back end development will predominantly be written in Golang
● Serverless as a first principle, containers second, and everything else is considered on a case by case basis
● Distributed Computing: Event Sourcing and CQRS as one of the core patterns in use.
● We try to follow lean principles more than an Agile™
● Transparent, honest, and blameless communication
Flexible work arrangements.
$1,000 per annum to spend on professional development.
No agency canvassing.