Bloomberg is foremost a data company. Data is at the heart of everything we do; we collect it, cleanse it, enrich it, validate it, and make it available to our clients. This data is vast, varied, and critical not only to our success, but to that of our diverse, global client base, and we continually challenge ourselves to do this better and faster.
What's the role?
Bloomberg’s Data Technologies (DT) department is responsible for building tools and infrastructure to get this data into the company from the outside world. The DT Infrastructure team lays the foundations for this work by providing compute platforms for other teams to build upon.
Our responsibilities fall into two core areas:
- Building and maintaining BAIT, a low code in-house platform that allows our counterparts in the Data and Engineering departments to extract, transform, and load the data to the downstream databases
- Building and maintaining Asia specific data processing applications in collaboration with the wider DT Engineering community
Our low code platform is used by many of our Data Analysts as well as Software Engineers across the firm.
We'll trust you to:
- Develop backend services for our low code platform using Python
- Develop frontend for our user interface using react and typescript
- Design and implement our distributed data processing platform
- Work with the team to design the low code abstraction that gives our users power to solve their additional use cases such as new table transformation operations and new source file types
- Build intuitive user interfaces so that our platform can cater not only to the technologist but to wider analyst colleagues
- Interact with our users directly and address questions, and if any enhancements are needed, realize them in a coherent manner that serve our wider user groups in both Data and Engineering departments
- Own the entire development lifecycle, from planning to deployment
You'll need to have:
- Minimum 2+ years of professional work experience as a software engineer
- Demonstrated experience programming with Python
- Demonstrated experience with various file formats frequently used in data disclosures and how to interface with them programmatically (CSV, JSON, XML, XBRL, SDMX, FWF, DBF, excel, docx, odf, turtle etc)
- Familiarity with designing software in event-driven microservice architecture
- Fluency in both written and spoken English
- Demonstrated continuous career growth within an organisation
- Demonstrated exposure to all phases of the software development life cycle
- Demonstrated experience successfully managing multiple projects to meet required deliverables, including communicating progress and outcomes to relevant stakeholder
We’d love to see:
- Fluency in Python data processing stack (numpy, pandas)
- Familiarity with frontend development with React and its ecosystem
- Distributed Data processing platforms (Hadoop, Spark), and JVM languages (Java, Scala) to interface with those platforms
- Familiarity with schema specifications (jsonschema, json type definition, avro, xsd)
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this:
[...] is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.